It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Music Download Tracing?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Right, I'm not sure if the music forum is the best place to stick this but here goes...

The music companies of the world have recently started clamping down on music downloaders, what I was wondering was:

- What is the chance of getting caught?
- How do you get caught?
- And how do I stop myself getting caught?

thanks

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   
- What is the chance of getting caught?

My guess is around 0.01 % Millions Download and only thousands get prosecuted/sued

- How do you get caught?

Entrapment, offer it for download and log the IP's and go after the ISP's to get the users information or conversly for Uploaders they download it and log the IP that way, they of course do not do their own dirty work they use a company called BayTSP

- And how do I stop myself getting caught?

Use an Anonymous P2P application like Freenet

[edit on 21-6-2005 by sardion2000]

[edit on 21-6-2005 by sardion2000]

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
Ive used Kazaa for 3 years none stop now. I use it just about every day and have never had any problems whatsoever.

I think your pretty safe, but i do suppose that every once in a while they will make an example of people!

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Thanks for the advise, I'm using Limewire, I've now stopped people uploading from me so I shouldn't have any problems?

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard
Thanks for the advise, I'm using Limewire, I've now stopped people uploading from me so I shouldn't have any problems?

Im not sure about limewire, but on most download sites if u stop uploading they will stop u downloading eventually!

I stopped uploading on Kazaa and they emailed me saying if i didnt turn it back on they would stop my account!

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by MickeyDee
Im not sure about limewire, but on most download sites if u stop uploading they will stop u downloading eventually!

I stopped uploading on Kazaa and they emailed me saying if i didnt turn it back on they would stop my account!

I talking to one of my friends, there putting all their downloaded music on cds and wiping the original downloads fro their computer, which to be honest freaked me out alittle.
I'm proberly going to end up buying the cds of my favourite artists and wiping most of my downloaded music.

[edit on 22-6-2005 by UK Wizard]

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   

I talking to one of my friends, there putting all their downloaded music on cds and wiping the original downloads fro their computer, which to be honest freaked me out alittle.

IF I were to do something illegal like this (which I don't), I would get around it by transfering every file in my Shared folder to a non-shared folder after each session. Thus to hide it from p2p user searches. Then when there is enough for a cd just burn it to get it off the computer. I would not just delete the song from the computer, but rather use an incinerator program which is suppose to remove all traces. After all if someone is going to get busted, it is more likely that 'they' would go after a person with 1,000 shared files then 2.

Also IF I downloaded files from a program like Limewire, I would use an IP search blocker like Peer Guardian, which is free by the way.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   

I'm proberly going to end up buying the cds of my favourite artists and wiping most of my downloaded music.

Ive got 1057 downloaded songs on my pc so if they ever catch me im pretty knackered. lol.

Not a bad idea copying them all to cd it would just take alot of time and im far too lazy for that! lol.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 09:33 AM
link   
One way to "hide" your activities while using P2P programs is to download a program call "Peer Guardian" from MethLabs. Peer Guardian blocks linking to a comprehensive list of IP addresses. You might want to give this program a try. I've been using it for a few years now and it is very well constructed and has very few bugs. I am not certain whether it is THE definitive safeguard against being identified as an "illegal downloader" but, when I look at the log, I am amazed at just how many times Peer Guardian has blocked linking to such agencies as the RIAA , FBI, etc. I wouldn't download anything without my Peer Guardian.

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Why wipe your music? Share it with everyone!! open information sharing! All knowledge should be free! The internet is controlled by an elite group of hackers!

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Atomix
Why wipe your music? Share it with everyone!! open information sharing! All knowledge should be free! The internet is controlled by an elite group of hackers!

Not quite how i wouldve put it but i agree!

If they want to punish me for using Kazaa then they can punish the other 40,000,000 users aswell!

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 10:39 PM
link   
LOL!!!! I actually just stopped using all those P2P sites altogether. I'm not risking anything to get free music to listen to while I'm surfing on the net. I personally now use Real Rhapsody 25 since it is free and legal. I get 25 streams a month to download and I also get add free radio which is great while I'm just doing things around the house. Their selection is pretty good and the digital quality is top notch. I would definitely try it out.

posted on Jul, 21 2005 @ 10:48 PM
link   
I real think your chances of getting caught are super slim. The lawsuits were just a scare. If they were to go after every user it would take them a life time. It all depends on your luck...oh yeah Peer Guardian like others said...real good program

new topics

top topics

join