It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Evolution be proven? or is it just a theory/religion?

page: 18
<< 15  16  17   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sevenstars_777
Some scientists argue: 'A monkey tapping away at random on a typewriter
would eventually write correctly not only words but also phrases, sentences, and even whole books. So, given enough time, "chance" can porduce anything-Whales, bees, spiders, monkeys, even Man.

Let us assume that the monkey uses a typewriter with 60 keys:
26 small letters, 26 capitals, a space, full stop, comma, colon, semicolon, two brackets and a question mark.

Suppose we wish the monkey to produce the word peanut. Now, the chances of a monkey typing the letter P are 1:6, and of typing
PE 1/60* 1/60= 1 in 3,600.

so his chances of tyiping the six-letter word PEANUT are (1/60)*6 =1 in 46,656,000,000.

This means that if the monkey could type at a rate of 3 letters per second, he would have to type for 450 years to produce peanut.

Now let's modify this analogy to better fit the theory of evolution.

1/60 chance for the monkey to type "p"

Let's assume the worst. Our monkey gets it right on the very last try.

It took our monkey 20 secods to type "p". Enter selection. We now always start from "p".

Let's again assume the worst. 20 seconds more and we've got "pe". Selection comes in again. We now always start from "pe". Remember we have a clear goal in sight, just like things are with natural selection.

Fast forward 80 seconds and we've got "peanut". This was the worst possible time. It took 2 minutes instead of 450 years. The fastest time would have been 2 seconds.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Actually I believe in evolution myself but it can not be proven to me, therefore it is still just a theory.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 08:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

I am so sick of hearing/reading "it's just a theory"!!!

Evolution is an established fact....on many, many levels. It is the ENTIRETY of the process that has yet to be fully understood, in ALL aspects.

ON that basis, it remains a "theory"....but, so do many, many, many OTHER science disciplines.

Evolution is a subject that will always (probably) have theoretical segments, parts that will defy any solid confirmation as to EXACT behavior, repeatable processes, etc. There is a RANDOM element to it, that will forever (I would think) preclude a final "definition".

Still, an intellectually honest individual, who takes time to look objectively at the facts, will realize that evolutionary theories are well-founded on a great deal of past empirical, and current ongoing, evidence......

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by weedwhacker
ON that basis, it remains a "theory"....but, so do many, many, many OTHER science disciplines.

so a theory it is... I believe in an unseen God and the philosophies of a guy named Jesus

Whats the difference ?

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   

I honestly thought you were smarter than that. Do you seriously not know the academic definition of theory?

A theory is a unifying framework of ideas, its a broad subject of study and is the most sturdy thing in science. Theory, in science, does not mean the same thing as theory in layman's terms.

Here's a picture I use that illustrates it well:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/d851ab31c9ed.jpg[/atsimg]

By the way Gravity, technically, is just a theory.
edit on 14-12-2010 by Titen-Sxull because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:03 PM
link   

You asked this, in response to a quote of mine that mentioned SCIENCE:

I believe in an unseen God and the philosophies of a guy named Jesus

Whats the difference ?

Sorry if you can't understand the difference between observable, measurable, repeatable and predictable SCIENCE....and a "belief" in something based solely on, well....no more apt word for it other than "faith".

BTW, before this gets circular, as it sometimes does...."faith" is yet another word that is misunderstood....by the types of people who ALSO misunderstand the word "theory".

As the image ZJ posted above shows, an actual scientific theory, as defined, is NOT the same as someone merely "guessing" at something, and then using the word "theory" to describe that action.

THAT example would best be described as "hypothesizing"....but, even for science, an hypothesis is FAR more exacting than what we practice in our ordinary lives, when WE do it. OUR efforts are focused on our day-to-day existence and concerns, and aren't usually disciplined science-based, in the sense we're discussing regarding evolution, and theories of that sort.

On example of that (I am struggling to convey) is how we interact with other people...we intuit, we "guess", we use our experience and "hypothesize" on their actions, and try to predict their future behavior and reactions...that is NOT science, though. Hence, that well-worn habit gets muddled when scientific theory is brought up, and perceptions of actual science theory are colored by those personal experiences....

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:10 PM
link   
reply to post by expert999

the only way i can explain where i think it is, is by using a example.

if there was a murder, the police would gather evidence, they end up being able to prove that a suspect was in the right place at the right time, however they cannot prove he actually struck the person, even though all the signs point to him being the one who did it. so it is left to the jury.

that's kinda of where evolution is and we are the jury, so i would not say theory, i would say a theory with supporting evidence.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Titen-Sxull

I prefer the dictionary version, not some internet truth.

the·o·ry
   /ˈθiəri, ˈθɪəri/ Show Spelled[thee-uh-ree, theer-ee] Show IPA
–noun,plural-ries.
a coherent group of general propositions used as principles of explanation for a class of phenomena: Einstein's theory of relativity.
a proposed explanation whose status is still conjectural, in contrast to well-established propositions that are regarded as reporting matters of actual fact.
Mathematics. a body of principles, theorems, or the like, belonging to one subject: number theory.
the branch of a science or art that deals with its principles or methods, as distinguished from its practice: music theory.
a particular conception or view of something to be done or of the method of doing it; a system of rules or principles.
contemplation or speculation.
guess or conjecture.

5,6,7 being quite proper.

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   

You types (not a pejorative, mind you...but referring to those pre-disposed to "believe" in so-called "creation"....I am assuming this, based on earlier comments) tend to use that dictionary definition, in that manner. In a "false argument" style.

You are INCORRECT to focus on the last three, from that listing...5, 6, and 7.

Learn about how dictionaries rank their word definitions, and WHY they are ordered in the way published.....

Find a printed, bound REAL dictionary. Open it up to the first page, and begin to read it. See what it tells you about itself, and the editors, and how they list definitons...what criteria they use.

The "Internet" isn't the only place for information, you know.......

posted on Dec, 14 2010 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic.Artifact
Actually I believe in evolution myself but it can not be proven to me, therefore it is still just a theory.

The process of evolution is the change in the genome of a population over time. This can be and has been observed. We know that it happens.

posted on Dec, 15 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   

edit on 12/15/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
All things just were created as they are. There are no big changes because of evolution?

We allready hold the essence of our lives.
edit on 2010/12/16 by etherical waterwave because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:20 AM
link   
I have this sense people want to have such a big change in their lives. They know what is good for themselves but they just not take that way to go. They have a false thought to cope. It is just lazyness together with lack of love? They lack love, that is a big problem. Take someone to dance on occasions. Be friendly, when it is possible offcourse. One can fall easily in contact with the beast inside themselves. They always have a wrong first thought about me I suppose. It is always the same. hmn Is this good for anyone.

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by expert999

Breath is love and is life.$*

Surely, a good question, can evolution be proven?!!

It probably is that the same DNA we find in animals is a sign of one creator. Ever thought about that?

nothing further to think about that. We were created, why

Why doubt about it, why want to know it? JHVH lord created us. The science of the earth can take such weird bends.?

posted on Dec, 16 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
Love created us, lack of love ends in sickness. I found the cure for many psychological diseases. Noone understands.

(now everybody stands up with we allready knew..)

<< 15  16  17   >>

join