It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A380 or 747A

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 09:05 PM
link   
For those who haven't heard Boeing is considering launching a new version of the 747 to compete with the A380 which Boeing while conceding that it will not be able to carry as many people as the A380 it will however have greater range better fuel effeciency and be cheaper to purchase and operate. For some info on the 747A
here's a link
Does anybody think this will get off the ground?

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
If they can get enough interest then I think so. Personally I think the whole "Superjumbo" concept isn't a very good idea. I just don't see many airports capable of supporting more than one or maybe two at a time.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 09:25 PM
link   
I read in the economist lately that Boeing was actually getting support from British Airways and Singapore Airlines I think there's another one but I can't remember. It however would serve the airlines interests greatly if Boeing decided to launch this project it would force airbus to reduce the price of the A380 if it had a viable competitor. And it would have an advantage in that most airports that can service the 747-400ER could easily serve an upgraded version without the costs of upgrading to the A380.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 09:36 PM
link   
A relevant past topic threads?
Airbus versus Boeing
A380 and 747

seekerof

[edit on 18-6-2005 by Seekerof]

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 09:42 PM
link   
They have being considering this for over a year, its an "ok" move, but I dont think its necessary.

We have the Jumo jet, and now in a couple years the Super Jumbo jet...I dont think we need a middle-man to fill the tiny gap. But since the newer version would be more economical...being better fuel efficient, qietier engines, and what-not, why not just stop making the 747, and start making the 747A's.

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 09:52 PM
link   
From what I remember about the article is that there hasn't been any orders for 747's for some time now. And if the 747A doesn't get orders they will cease operation on the 747 production line. I think it would be a good idea I think the airlines are just waiting for Boeing to show some committment towards the 747A.

new topics

top topics

join