It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Spying on Canada?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Canadian opposition lawmakers pressed the government to crack down on alleged Chinese espionage during the House of Commons question period.

"Reports show that the Chinese spies were and are taping phones, waging campaigns of threats and harassment," Deputy Conservative Leader Peter Mackay said, repeating accusations made this week by two former Chinese officials who defected to Australia.

"China has a huge interest in owning our natural resources and dominating our economy. Our country is losing billions (of dollars) through economic espionage," he told Parliament.

Earlier, former Chinese diplomat Chen Yonglin and policeman Hao Fengjun claimed their government had some 1,000 agents spying and harassing Canadian members of the Falun Gong spiritual movement, a meditation group banned as a subversive cult in China.

Chinese officials in Canada denied the allegations.

Source

And a related story here.

A Toronto woman says she was shocked and annoyed to see her personal information in a secret report to Chinese officials.

Jillian Ye, a database consultant in suburban Scarborough, found herself at the centre of a storm Friday over allegations of Chinese espionage in Canada.

The 39-year-old Ye, a longtime practitioner of
Falun Gong, was the subject of a September 2004 report to security officials in China, where many say followers of the ancient meditative practice have been persecuted.

The federal Conservatives and a national group representing Falun Gong devotees expressed concern about Ye's case Friday, citing it as a prime example of Chinese government interference in Canadian affairs.

They accused the Liberals of failing to firmly voice Canada's opposition to harassment and spying by Beijing.

S ource Here

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I am afraid that it just the reality of life now. It is the information age baby!!!

What can you do, the easiest way to make spying redundent is by transparency. Which, ultimately aids democracy and helps the people see what their elected officals are doing....

posted on Jun, 18 2005 @ 11:39 PM
link   
hahaha...she was shocked and annoyed?

I AM shocked and annoyed that a Falun Gong practitioner somehow ..magically got her hands on a confidential government document, and I didnt.

lol... she just found a secret chinese document?...they must be getting sloppy.

lol WHO wants canada? we are friends to all...almost. Unless our bigger brother pushes us into stuff.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Everyone spies on everyone else. Allies spy on allies and foes alike.
Foes spy on foes. China can't be trusted and I'm sure everyone
spies on it as best they can as well as China spying on everyone
on the planet. It's just the way it is.

posted on Jun, 19 2005 @ 12:16 AM
link   
While I don't like the idea of being spied on, I think that it is probably just a fact of life at this point in time. What I do have a problem with is the harrassment of people who live in Canada, by a foreign power. That is what concerns me about this. General spying is one thing, it's expected really; but I think it is quite another thing altogether to be harrassing Falun Gong members in my country.

Edmonton police are looking into complaints that Chinese spies are intimidating local members of a spiritual group.

Const. Stephen Camp confirmed this week the hate crimes unit has received complaints that Chinese government agents are harassing and spying on Falun Gong followers in Edmonton

Chi Yeh and Shar Chen, both Edmontonians whose phone numbers appear on Falun Gong-related websites, said several pre-recorded messages in Chinese and English defaming Falun Gong were left on their answering machines over several weeks in February.

Yeh said he felt threatened by the messages, but neither his phone company nor city police offered to investigate.

Yeh and fellow practitioner Bradley Bussche have also handed over anti-Falun Gong propaganda to police, including a booklet that Yeh says is distributed through the Chinese consulate in Calgary. The book, titled The Truth, shows supposed cases of self-immolation, suicide and murder committed by Falun Gong followers in China.

David Kilgour, MP for Edmonton-Beaumont, said he has studied the defamatory materials and believes they contravene Canadian hate laws.

But he said consular officials cannot be prosecuted under those laws because of diplomatic immunity.

Local members of spiritual group Falun Gong say they are being harassed by Beijing's secret agents

Oct

posted on Jul, 13 2005 @ 02:56 AM
link   
NEW ZEALAND - On June 29, a New Zealand Epoch Times reporter conducted a telephone interview with Hao Fengjun, former official of the 610 Office in Tianjin, regarding the CCP spy activities overseas. Not long ago, he escaped to Australia with many secret documents, which have caught the attention of the international community. In the interview, Hao Fengjun disclosed such information as to how the CCP spies pry into the affairs of New Zealand churches and Falun Gong, the activities of the 610 secret agency, and the operation details of the overseas spy situation.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Its just ridiculous how much China is doing. If they spend this much effort on countries like Canada and Australia, I’d hate to see just how much they’re doing in America, Britain, and Japan.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 03:15 AM
link   
The Falun Gong are spied on by China because some of the members are anti goverment.And want to upsurp the goverment there.In the past, revolutionists were called the "sun moon".They were rebels that hated the way the goverment treated the people and they tried to kill the leaders constantly.This a modern version now.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 05:54 AM
link   
Way to spot Chinese spies unless they wear eye patches or heavily shaded sunglasses.

I don't want to be seen a racist but all Chinese (home grown) have eyes like this

as opposed to this

If you live in a western and see a pair of them where you don't think they belong do something about it.

[edit on 16-7-2005 by WestPoint23]

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   
Acutally that kid looks more mongolian to me. Many Chinese people have double eyelids, Koreans have little or none same with Japanese.

I'm Chinese myself and my eyes are medium to big with double eyelids, so does my whole family. Yes there are Chinese people who have small eyes but if you go to China Im sure most people have medium to big eyes.

posted on Jul, 16 2005 @ 12:12 PM
link   
What ticks me off is not the first time. Plus Canada donated like 65 mil in food aid last year to China. Dont know how a country can let its own people starve on one hand and build advanced weapons tech on the other . Oh yeah big evil west will take over. Last I checked the Japanese have been doing pretty good for 50 plus years and oh, the South Koreans as well .

[edit on C:Satocu07e7 by Opus]

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 09:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordBaskettIV
The Falun Gong are spied on by China because some of the members are anti goverment.And want to upsurp the goverment there.In the past, revolutionists were called the "sun moon".They were rebels that hated the way the goverment treated the people and they tried to kill the leaders constantly.This a modern version now.

The thing is, the communist party is against any group that is influential among the chinese, fearing an overthrow. If you have a government that is implanted by your arch rival dun u wan to get rid of it too, especially if itdoesn't care the people. Anyway i hope china will be rid of communist since they are doing such things to the chinese people to submit them to their control.
Oh btw i will say most of the chinese do not have "slit" eyes, and i do not want to be mistaken as a communist spy if i'm goin to your country for a holiday

[edit on 17-7-2005 by NotheRaGe]

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   
Martin should be kicking them out ASAP. I'll send a copy of this to Ottawa.
What the hell's going on !?, if China is spying let them out of Canada along with Trade Import Status.

Dallas

posted on Jul, 17 2005 @ 01:37 PM
link   
Those Folun Gong people keep a quiet vigil in front of the Chinese th embassy here in Toronto. Gotta respect these folks threes always someone there, even in - 30 temperatures.

[edit on C:Sunocu07e7 by Opus]

posted on Jul, 18 2005 @ 12:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dallas

Martin should be kicking them out ASAP. I'll send a copy of this to Ottawa.
What the hell's going on !?, if China is spying let them out of Canada along with Trade Import Status.

Dallas

Uh its not like the spies are walking around wearing shirts that say "Chinas secret spies"... Generally spies try to be, you know, sneaky, so its not really as easy as just finding them and kicking them out.

Plus if you read the article theyre not spying on the canadian government, theyre "Spying" on people who are members of an organization that is 1) Illegal in chinna, and 2) Are considered revolutionists in china. This is the same kind of spying America does against Al'Qaeda. While they might be spying in Afghanistan or Iran or Turkey or where ever, theyre not spying against those countries, theyre spying against agencies working out of those countries.

Im not saying this is right, but some people seemed to be confused as to what is actually going on so i thought id explain it in clearer words since no one else has yet.

posted on Aug, 4 2005 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Actually, i was just about to post what AS posted above me.

None of the allegations in recent weeks have actually touched on economic or political espionage.

All are related to FLG, i think the Conservative party in Canada is just really pissed off right now because they didn't get into government.

new topics

top topics

join