It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social/political character of the Golden Dawn

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 01:04 PM
link   
Would anyone like to make an argument for there being an identifiable social and political character to the original Hermetic Order of the Golden Dawn?

A number of sources have claimed that the golden dawn drew its members from the wealthy, educated classes and in general had far right/fascist political leanings. I've also encountered information that contradicts this.

Any thoughts?

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   
i've never even heard of them before.

Cug

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   
The social character of the Golden Dawn was very much influenced but the English class system, but in many ways was much more liberal. For example women were equals within the system. As individuals the members were just as diverse as any other group.

They did (and still do) attract the more educated, but that has to do more with the complexity of Ceremonial Magick than anything else.

The Golden Dawn system itself has no political leanings in any direction.

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 03:05 PM
link   
What about the David Bowie song:

"Quicksand"

I'm closer to the Golden Dawn
Immersed in Crowley's uniform
Of imagery

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 07:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Egg Mundane
What about the David Bowie song:

"Quicksand"

I'm closer to the Golden Dawn
Immersed in Crowley's uniform
Of imagery

What about it? It's a really good song.

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Crowley splintered from The Golden Dawn because he was perverting there original tenets. He formed the Ordo Templi Orientis, more commonly referred to as Thelemite now. Just a song.

Cug

posted on Jun, 20 2005 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Baphomet79
Crowley splintered from The Golden Dawn because he was perverting there original tenets. He formed the Ordo Templi Orientis, more commonly referred to as Thelemite now. Just a song.

That's not accurate.

In 1900,Crowley was refused entrance into the second order in London because of his bi-sexuality. He then traveled to Paris and was given the 5=6 from Mathers (The head of the order) on his return to London they refused to recognize him. After several nasty letters between London and Paris Mathers sends Crowley to London to take back the Lodge. It didn’t work.

1900-1903 The Golden Dawn splinters, Crowley drops out

In 1904 Crowley Received the Book of the Law. The start of Thelema.

In 1907 Crowley forms the A.’.A.’.

In 1912 Crowley Joins the O.T.O. and was soon made head of the British O.T.O.

In 1925 he becomes head of the O.T.O.

The O.T.O. is not commonly referred as Thelemite. A Thelemite is a person who follows Thelema. The O.T.O. is a Thelemic order, but you don’t have to be in the O.T.O. to be a Thelemite.

posted on Jun, 21 2005 @ 12:25 PM
link   
I thought all the Oasis' and other bodies that Thelemites meet in are considered OTO bodies?

Cug

posted on Jun, 22 2005 @ 01:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Baphomet79
I thought all the Oasis' and other bodies that Thelemites meet in are considered OTO bodies?

Only if they are O.T.O. bodies. A group of Thelemites meeting is just a group of Thelemites meeting.

The O.T.O. and Thelema are not the same thing, one is a group and the other is the name of the religion. (for lack of a better term)

Say a bunch of Catholics had a meeting, that does not mean that the meeting was part of the Catholic Church.

new topics

top topics

join