It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Space secrets go public

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   
An under-construction suborbital space facility, designed by Blue Origin, is due to begin test launches by the 3rd quarter of 2006. Blue Origin, founded by Amazon.com's Jeff Bezos, has been developing reusable launch vehicles for commercial flights into subspace. Until recently, details of Blue Origin's plans have been kept quiet to the media.

www.msnbc.msn.com
If the tests are successful, the vertical-launch, vertical-landing spaceship could fly as many as 52 suborbital space missions per year from the West Texas facility. Each flight would go to an altitude of more than 325,000 feet, with three or more passengers, Blue Origin says:

"The Blue Origin RLV [reusable launch vehicle] would be comprised of a propulsion module and a crew capsule and would use hydrogen peroxide and kerosene as propellants. The RLV would be fully reusable and would operate autonomously under control of on-board computers, with no ground control during nominal flight conditions. The RLV would launch vertically from a concrete pad and would land vertically in an area near the launch pad."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I find the prospect of subspace travel for the ordinary person rather intriguing. I use the word "ordinary person" loosely as I'm sure this sort of thing won't be cheap. Still, with commercial industries taking to space it should be very interesting to see the results. If regular, cost-effective, trips to space are found it could open the door for an exciting vacation!
I also wonder what impact companies like Blue Origin will have on our space program. They would be hard-pressed to show up NASA, but perhaps traveling to space may become a regular thing. If commercial entities could develop low-cost propulsion perhaps NASA could capitalize and venture further out. Personally, I wouldn't mind seeing this go from subspace to moon visits.
I would also like to add they are not alone. Companies like Virgin Galactic, Aera Corp. and PlanetSpace also plan to make subspace travel available.

Related News Links:
www.msnbc.msn.com

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Well, for the low income level, they have a sport. Tim Horton Coffee will arrive in America. Watch what kinds of caffeine trips and associated low costs will provide those poor space cadets.

[email protected]

posted on Jun, 13 2005 @ 07:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeThinking1
An under-construction suborbital space facility, designed by Blue Origin, is due to begin test launches by the 3rd quarter of 2006. Blue Origin, founded by Amazon.com's Jeff Bezos, has been developing reusable launch vehicles for commercial flights into subspace.

Subspace? If Bezos could make it into subspace, I'd be selling the house to give him the money to go to the next star. Or back to the Stone Age.

Subspace is a hypothetical construct of many dimensional space that would allow for FTL communications and travel in both space and time.

SUBORBITAL space is where Bezos is going. Maybe eventually LEO.

But not subspace any time soon.

Test pilots are picky, perfectionist, and fatherless. We wouldn't live long if we weren't. Chuck Yeager

[edit on 13-6-2005 by Chakotay]

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Chakotay is totally correct, there is a big difference between subspace and suborbital

But he just got his terms mixed up, interesting project though.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 07:24 AM
link   
It is nice to see there will be some competation for the companies that plan to offer this. Although the fuel there useing did cause many craft to exsplode when it was being used in WW2.
I do think we might be seeing more of it in use for reguler air craft though, because of the ever rising cost of fossel fuels.

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chakotay

Originally posted by FreeThinking1
An under-construction suborbital space facility, designed by Blue Origin, is due to begin test launches by the 3rd quarter of 2006. Blue Origin, founded by Amazon.com's Jeff Bezos, has been developing reusable launch vehicles for commercial flights into subspace.

Subspace? If Bezos could make it into subspace, I'd be selling the house to give him the money to go to the next star. Or back to the Stone Age.

Subspace is a hypothetical construct of many dimensional space that would allow for FTL communications and travel in both space and time.

SUBORBITAL space is where Bezos is going. Maybe eventually LEO.

But not subspace any time soon.

Test pilots are picky, perfectionist, and fatherless. We wouldn't live long if we weren't. Chuck Yeager

[edit on 13-6-2005 by Chakotay]

I'm sure glad I DIDN'T catch that one!
Yes, SUBORBITAL....got it!

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 12:07 PM
link   
um, so where's the secret? Slashdot brought this up last week...here I was hoping it was something about orbiting death-ray stations or some such

top topics

join