It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Raptor-JSF radars can fry enemy sensors: Program officials

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 02:48 AM
link   
JSF-Raptor Radar Can Fry Enemy Sensors

DefenseNews.com

The radar mounted on the F/A-22 Raptor and F-35 Joint Strike Fighter (JSF) can be used to fry electronic parts of ground-based radars and disable airborne cruise missiles, program officials for the planes acknowledge.

Thats crazy. I wonder if any other fighters can do that? BTW thats all I could get without having to pay.

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 03:19 AM
link   
thats pretty cool isn't it? do you think Russians or other non Allied forces have this technology built into their planes? could this technology have come from Iraq invasion where some Russian tech was found?

[edit on 5-6-2005 by blobby]

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 03:39 AM
link   
I thought the EA-6B could do that.
Please correct me if I'm wrong

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 03:53 AM
link   
How is that even ppossiple...? But cool if it's true...

[edit on 5-6-2005 by Figher Master FIN]

posted on Jun, 5 2005 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I heard this before, something about it's phased aray being able to project a magnetic pulse or what not, I dunno if it would litterally fry systems, but that would be quite interesting, this is a little bit more than just jamming their frequencies like the EA-6B though.

The F/A-22 is also going to be able to use the HARM, so if it is able to do that then it would be an excellent EW aircraft and even a mini-EAW system with it's powerful radar.

posted on Jun, 23 2005 @ 11:50 PM
link   
Yes, it is true. People on carriers could not stand in front of the EA-6 because if the radar was active it would fry them.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrOuNd_ZeRo
The F/A-22 is also going to be able to use the HARM, so if it is able to do that then it would be an excellent EW aircraft and even a mini-EAW system with it's powerful radar.

Hmmm, I think that the HARM may be too big to fit in its internal bay. if so, hanging them from hardpoints would simply negate the planes stealth signature. TIme to do some digging.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 12:07 AM
link   
From my post here: www.abovetopsecret.com...

This is not really a new development as it were. Many of the USAF planes will bring this capacity to the battlefield. Including AWACS type aircraft or thier ground monitoring candidate. Imagine if the USAF converts all of its AWACS planes to a phased array similar to the new ESRA radars being fielded on the F/A-18 E/F, F-22, F-15, and F-35???

E-10 Radar Secretly Designed To Jam Missiles

This weapons capability--against cruise and air-to-air missiles--is one of the closely held effects that are to be produced by the Northrop Grumman/Raytheon Multi-Platform Radar Technology Insertion Program (MP-RTIP) now under development for use on the E-10 airborne surveillance aircraft.

The technology roughly parallels the emerging development of ground-based high-power microwave (HPM) devices as anti-missile systems. In fact, the first such HPM weapon, under development by Raytheon, looks much like a large AESA radar. Analysts contend that it should produce broadband pulses of microwave energy that can jam electrical components at ranges of perhaps 100 mi. and destroy electrical components at tens of miles.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 02:46 AM
link   
The USAF E-3s have to have the radar turned off during air to air refueling ops, otherwise the radar emissions could kill the tanker crew. The SPY radar on the Aegis boats is the same way. It's steerable and is capable of putting 3 million watts of power along a single line away from the ship. Same with AWACS. You can "steer" it so that it transmits more power along certain directions away from the aircraft.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 02:57 AM
link   
I read on a USAF website they were building a trash can sized power generator that they could install in or on planes such as the E-2, E-3, AWACS. And it could provide megawatt power (probably only for a short period). But they never said why they would need it/what it would be used for.

[edit on 24-6-2005 by NWguy83]

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 03:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
The USAF E-3s have to have the radar turned off during air to air refueling ops, otherwise the radar emissions could kill the tanker crew.

Are you sure that's why? I'd rather think it is for the same reason why they don't allow cell phones to be used at gas stations.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 03:31 AM
link   
It's a combination of both actually. The AN/APY-1/2 radar is amazingly powerful. Not as powerful as the SPY-1 on AEGIS, but powerful enough that if you steered it into a single point you could easily kill the crew on a KC-10 or KC-135.

posted on Jun, 24 2005 @ 03:51 AM
link   
thats a really neat trick

i think EW is sweet

btw my opinion is that this stuff has been around 20+ years ...

they never admit something until after they are already 2 or 3 steps ahead of it anyways

just something to think about

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 08:24 AM
link   
What exactly would kill the crew? my uncle has worked around radar systems all the time, the only risk he has is getting cancer from the radiation produced by the radar systems.

And I believe the E-3 doesn't Refuel with it's radar on because of the increased risk of sparks.

Correct me if i'm wrong, I never heard of radars insta-killing people.

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 11:07 AM
link   

And I believe the E-3 doesn't Refuel with it's radar on because of the increased risk of sparks.

I'd think so as well. As far as the radar harming the crew: since the airplanes hull is a Faraday's cage, I fail to see how microwave radiation would even reach the crew. As far as radar being deadly at all: legend has it that the radar on the Mig25 was powerful enough to kill rabbits near runways, then again, legend has it.

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by NWguy83
I read on a USAF website they were building a trash can sized power generator that they could install in or on planes such as the E-2, E-3, AWACS. And it could provide megawatt power (probably only for a short period). But they never said why they would need it/what it would be used for.

[edit on 24-6-2005 by NWguy83]

I heard that the power source would be used to power a laser weapon, here is a link:

F-35 Laser Weapon

Also:

Directed-energy devices are emerging from the 'black' world as weapons for manned and unmanned aircraft

Lockheed Martin is tailoring a laser for the F-35 Joint Strike Fighter that could be ready as early as 2010 for demonstration and the start of a full-scale development program.

Variants of the solid-state laser, powered by a drive shaft from an aircraft's engine instead of batteries, also are being considered for use on AC-130 gunships and Lockheed Martin-designed unmanned aircraft. The high-energy laser system is being designed in a joint project with Raytheon.

An advantage of a directed-energy weapon is that it can shoot indefinitely and is limited only by the ability to cool it, and it's covert. "There's no huge explosion associated with its employment," a Lockheed Martin official said. "There are no pieces and parts left behind that someone can analyze to say, 'This came from the U.S.' The damage is very localized, and it's hard to tell where it came from and when it happened. It's all pretty mysterious."

A foe would be left largely clueless trying to analyze what happened and why. Planners envision scenarios where fires are set, electronic components are damaged and computer memories are erased with no collateral damage or injury to those near the target.

A Defense Science Board study last year said that several technology breakthroughs have moved high-energy lasers on fighters into the realm of the possible. Among them was increased electrical power-generation capability achieved under the "More-Electric Aircraft Project." The DSB contends that aircraft systems will be able to provide one megawatt of power in less than five years. Other rapidly developing technologies allow smaller packaging of systems. These include advanced solid-state lasers, chemical lasers with electro-regeneration of chemicals and fiber lasers.
More here:

www.aviationnow.com...

[edit on 6/25/2005 by centurion1211]

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   

What exactly would kill the crew? my uncle has worked around radar systems all the time, the only risk he has is getting cancer from the radiation produced by the radar systems.

Correct me if i'm wrong, I never heard of radars insta-killing people.

radar=microwaves. Do you own a microwave oven? How many seconds does it take to cook something in it? These military radars are many times more powerful than your microwave oven.

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
That microwave stuff has been around for a while its just the accuracy has gone up.
Besides a microwave is an EM wave, use EM shielding and you'll be fine.

The laser option would only work in dry countries or when there is no rain.

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   
I wish I could find something on-line to give you guys a link (sadly I can't, maybe someone else has come across something?) but the effects of high energy microwave radiation (through the superior early centimetric British radars.......actually you don't get 'microwaves' without it being 'centimetric' or smaller waves) have been observed on birds and animals almost since radar began with Sir Robert Watson Watt.

[edit on 25-6-2005 by sminkeypinkey]

posted on Jun, 25 2005 @ 07:38 PM
link   
Here's a little thing about radar effects on people....

While fire control systems have the potential to overexpose personnel, it is a common misconception that any system found in the radome of an aircraft nose is dangerous.

Now if an F-15/F-16 fire control radar can overexpose people what do you think a couple million watts of power from an E-3 radar will do? And for the record, nowhere in any post did I say it would "instakill" the tanker crew. I said it could kill them, I didn't say that they would suddenly drop dead.

<<   2 >>

join