It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Where is the centre of the universe?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 14 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   
It's all relative - last post nails it. We are/were at the center and so was everything else.

Since we are all moving out from that original "center" the "center" or more to the point the first visible light from the banger would be at the edge of the known universe and we could see it if we had good enough scopes....

The background radiation is also indicative of the "we are all at the center" relatively speaking....

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Theoretically there is a center where it all started. Realistically, we may never be able to calculate the exact physical center due to the constant changing environment of the universe. What would you use for a reference point? We seem to know our reference point when considering our Solar System to the Milky Way but where is the Milky Way in respect to other Galaxies in the Universe. Without knowing these relationships and being able to build an image, the physical center will stay an exercise in theory.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by longbow
Has sience any clue where can be the place where all started? I mean Big Bang.I know we currently cannot see the edge of the universe (because of maximum light speed) but could we see the centre if we know where to "look"?

If you ask anyone from Toronto they will tell you that they are the centre of the universe.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 02:24 PM
link   
The simplest questions provoke sometimes the most complex responses.

The problem with the answer is that 'center' is a dimensional term of human (dare I say terrestrial) contrivance.
As there is considerable debate in the 'smarty-face' community as to precisely what the universe is.....the 'center' of that currently ill-defined entity is unknown.

But there is no such thing as a stupid question. So I'm repeatedly told.

posted on Jun, 15 2005 @ 02:47 PM
link   
Im thinking of it differently, more expansively.

If the Universe is 3 spacial and 1 time dimension it is 4D,

But the center of the Universe is off in the 4th dimension,
And that center is back in time.

To go to the center of the Universe you have to travel backwards in time.

13 or 14 billion years ago.

maybe you could also get there by going outside of time [but i don't have a clue about how to do that].

Time, space & length/dimension are all intimately bound up according to relativity.

They exist together in some kind of melange, like warm gooey cheese.

funny but sort of true!

posted on Jun, 16 2005 @ 09:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by sideshowk
If you ask anyone from Toronto they will tell you that they are the centre of the universe.

And they wouldn't be wrong. Any place in the universe as an equivalent claim to being the center.

Originall posted by periwinkle blue
But there is no such thing as a stupid question.

Only inquisitive idiots.

I dunno slank, I'll ponder that one. I'm inclined to say no, though, because "center" refers to the first three.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 03:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Amorymeltzer
Darkside is right on. Think of it like a balloon. We exist on the surface, and space expands as the balloon blows up. At the beginning when the balloon is a single point, that's the center. When it blows up, where's the center? Each point in the universe has an equal and completely valid claim to being the center, because everything moves from everything else. There is no center because the center of the balloon is not on the surface. It's like asking what the center of the Earth's surface is.

Nice theory, but small problem: according to measurements of the cosmic background radiation so far, the universe is as "flat" as a pancake, there is no indication of curvature in a fourth dimension.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 07:05 AM
link   
That's quite a question.
As the other guy said, think of it as a balloon that you keep blowing up (but ignore the bursting part).
The universe is always expanding and the middle will always be there. I'd think there would have to be a middle for there to be sides that expand.

posted on Jun, 17 2005 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by Simon666
Nice theory, but small problem

Never said the balloon was perfect. Obviously it has a lot of drawbacks, especially due to the way it uses two dimensions to represent three dimensions, and also because there ain't no way for us to see a fourth without tossing at least one of the others.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join