It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Phthalates Proven Harmful to Testes

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 02:14 AM
link   
Here is another link concerning this subject:

www.kidalog.com...='estrogen%20mimicking%20chemicals'

As most of you commenting on this posting probably already know, scientists have been worried about the declining masculinity of men for at least 35 years now. Initially they did not know what was in the environment that was mimicking estrogen -- only that something was. However, by 1980 they knew about phthalates and they realized just how widspread the problem really was. As some of you older commentors probably remember the initial concern was for amphibians (frogs in particular). The effects of phthalates were never given widespread publicity because groups like Greenpeace were the ones doing the shouting. Then, as now, most people had, and still do have, the opinion that Greenpeace was populated by an inordinate number of fanatics. It was therefore quite easy for people to ignore them or believe the safety claims issued by the plastics companies directly and by their proxy voices in congress and the academic community. I would venture that to this day most people do not believe that plastics are seriously harmful to the environment and to our children. People can see the benefits of plastic practically everyday, but the problems of plastics take years to develop.
At any rate, the convenience outweighs the negative aspects for the overwhelming mass of people. It will take a lot of money and time to educate Americans and others to the very serious peril we are in right now, not to mention how much more serious that peril will become over time. Concerned lobbying groups need to be created, studies done, etc., etc., etc. The problem is at least as pervasive and difficult as the "Global Warming" problem, but the number of people involved is relatively miniscule.

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 02:17 AM
link   
www.kidalog.com...='estrogen%20mimicking%20chemicals
I fixed your link for you...

posted on May, 29 2005 @ 02:27 AM
link   
Thanks, I did not test that link after I made it. I simply did a search on estrogen mimicking chemicals.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Good news.
The EU has permanantly banned the use of these chemicals in children's toys.

EU Parliament bans plastic softeners in toys

Does anyone know that status of these chemicals in the US and Canada?
Are they banned anywhere except the EU?

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Phthalates? -looks down-

I always knew it was those bastard chemicals.

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 01:01 PM
link   
At first I thought testes was a Greek god.

I spent two days last weekend playing golf down here in Houston in the most unbelievably hellish heat and smog. As soon as I stepped out of my house I started having trouble breathing. What's my point here you ask? The pollution in the air is probably doing a lot more damage to the human body than pthalates or lead or asbestos could ever do. It's not to say that we shouldn't be concerned about problems such as this but where do we draw the line and just accept the risks? For every one discovery like the dangers of pthalates there are ten unknown dangers that we haven't discovered.

It's a great, informative thread, but just one more needless reason for people to worry IMO. Anyways, the only perceivable threat from a piece of PVC pipe to my testes would be a direct hit.

Peace

[edit on 6-7-2005 by Dr Love]

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr LoveIt's not to say that we shouldn't be concerned about problems such as this but where do we draw the line and just accept the risks? For every one discovery like the dangers of pthalates there are ten unknown dangers that we haven't discovered.

As the dangers become evident, we should try as best as we can to eliminate them. You don't want to have a son with a three inch penis (as an adult) if that can be prevented do you?

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase

Originally posted by Dr LoveIt's not to say that we shouldn't be concerned about problems such as this but where do we draw the line and just accept the risks? For every one discovery like the dangers of pthalates there are ten unknown dangers that we haven't discovered.

As the dangers become evident, we should try as best as we can to eliminate them. You don't want to have a son with a three inch penis (as an adult) if that can be prevented do you?

I found that post so funny...I really did. :|

posted on Jul, 6 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by AceOfBase
You don't want to have a son with a three inch penis (as an adult) if that can be prevented do you?

Why.......is that considered short or something?

I think every body reacts to chemicals and environmental factors differently. Not everyone exposed to pthalates will have sons with short penises. There are new tests and discoveries everyday, even ones that contradict prior tests and findings. I'm just saying that there are things far more detrimental to
humans like pollution and chemicals in the water.

Peace

[edit on 6-7-2005 by Dr Love]

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join