It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Phthalates Proven Harmful to Testes

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Phthalates are common chemicals used in tens of thousands of everyday products ranging from cosmetics to PVC pipes. They have been extensively tested in animals, and proven dangerous in a multitude of ways, but the chemical industry has always insisted they are safe for human consumption. A new study throws doubt on that assertion. Boys born to women exposed to phthalates have impaired reproductive systems, and are being studied as they age to see what other abnormalities might manifest. Exposure during pregnancy produces side effects that may help to explain another disturbing pattern sensed in the scientific community, skyrocketing rates of adult male infertility.

www.usatoday.com
For the first time, scientists have shown that pregnant mothers exposed to high but common levels of a widely used ingredient in cosmetics, fragrances, plastics and paints can have baby boys with smaller genitals and incomplete testicular descent.

The paper, published Friday in the journal Environmental Health Perspectives, found that the more a mother was exposed to the chemicals, called phthalates (THAL-ates), the greater the chance her boy's reproductive development would be harmed. Similar changes have led to decreased semen quality and fertility in rodents.

"We'll follow our children to see what the consequences are," says lead researcher Shanna Swan, a professor of epidemiology at the University of Rochester (N.Y.) School of Medicine.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This disturbed me a great deal, and I'm looking into the repurcussions as we speak. The impact of this could be far reaching indeed. Millions of women use these products, they are so commonplace in our homes as to be practically omnipresent. We are literally being poisoned by our possessions. How poetic...

How many pregnant women know this? Do you know someone who is pregnant? Do you think they should know this? The chemical lobby doesn't think people need to know this, they say it's all safe. I provided a link to their web effort as well... The contrast between the pictures painted by the two supporting links..well..it's worth consideration. Will mothers sit up and take notice of this news, or will it fade into obscurity? I still see mothers doing drugs when they're pregnant, so I'm not sure all will care..but most should, no?

The headline quite astounded me when I read it, it was written as "Chemicals Cause Defects" in USA Today. I really double-taked, I'm sure you can understand why. The press is never so frank. Are the people going to wake up and realize the grand illusion of safety? Has it been decided, now is the time to come clean about everything? Are people even awake enough to realize this is going on? I think not... Is this simply designed to scare people, add another boogeyman to the closet? Opinions on motive would be appreciated...

Related News Links:
www.nottoopretty.org
www.phthalates.org

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 05:17 PM
link   
*bump*

This thread hasn't had many views yet so I'm bumping it up as I think it's an important subject.

Here's a related ATS thread on the same subject.
Common chemicals called phthalates can lead to smaller penises

These chemicals are very common and I thnk many persons here have probably used at least one of them.

There's a long list at the site below, which includes:
Aqua Net Professional Hair Spray, Arrid Extra Extra Dry Maximum Strength Solid, Eternity by Calvin Klein, Pantene Pro V Spray Gel Volumizing Root Lifter, Maybelline Express Finish Fast-Dry Nail Ename, etc...
www.nottoopretty.org...

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 08:32 PM
link   
I always thought Phthalates was some sort of yoga stuff, all that twisting on mats and the like.
Guess all that bending can break something....

[edit on 27-5-2005 by Netchicken]

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 08:40 PM
link   

This thread hasn't had many views yet so I'm bumping it up as I think it's an important subject.

Well I think if the author had used Penis instead of Testes it would have drawn more views. Not sure, JMHO

posted on May, 27 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   
We could rename it as "Why SUV's have become more popular". or "Why people are demanding bigger guns". You could have some freudian fun

Originally posted by shots
Well I think if the author had used Penis instead of Testes it would have drawn more views. Not sure, JMHO

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 01:23 AM
link   
I would have used the words male genitals instead of Testes to get more people's attention. These products seem to be everywhere and now people are going to start wondering how harmful are they and what to avoid. I'm wondering if plastic in say a water drinking bottle could have any harmful effect. I read a related article that stated these substances could cause cancer or tumors. If we suddenly start having generations of people unable to have kids, that would have huge effects on our society. For guys, if you hear certain substances will shrink your genitals before you are even born, that definitely gets some attention. Now I'm wondering if these substances are harmful for the current male population and what to avoid if it's in our food or water supply.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 01:35 AM
link   
I laughed for a good five minutes after I came up with the title. So it stuck.
Not the first time, I might add, that my strange sense of humor has proven unpopular.

Anyway, the damage appears to have been done already. Now the big question is, can this trend be reversed? Certainly people should be made aware they might be impotent..but can you imagine the impact this could have had already? It's staggering...

The study will continue, hopefully it will net some answers in another 20 years...

Of course by then, the damage will REALLY have been done. How many years breeding advantage does a species require to forever doom its competitors? I imagine the number is small, perhaps already irrelevant. It could be that we've already been replaced..it's now just a matter of time.

So now the question..is this as big a threat to the people of the world as it appears to be? Am I completely blowing this out of proportion? The thought of mass sterility immediately invokes thoughts of population decline, in a big way, fast. Might this be on interest to some group or another? I certainly hear enough crap about how the world can't support us to make me believe there are people out there who would support this kind of tampering.

I hope the study is false, I hope that everything is okay.

But what do we do if it's not? This isn't just an American problem, but it is, probably, of American origin. So what are Americans going to do about it? Is there anything left to do?

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 01:45 AM
link   
Whew man, we need a whole new forum devoted purely to the discussion of this subject, we'll call it "The Poisons They Pump Us Full Of", it's subtitle will be "Flouride, Aspartame, and Other Profitable Poison".

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 01:46 AM
link   
I guess the FDA will start looking at labeling requirements on everything and trying to determine what is acceptable or not. Cosmetic and plastic manufacturers are probably very concerned about this news. This story is like opening up a pandora's box of questions such as how do these chemicals affect grown men and women? I wouldn't say every problem is due to Americans either. It's just a byproduct of modern civilization as we have come to know it.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 01:55 AM
link   
I knew I had seen that Phthalates before!? Now I remember where I saw it, I had a chemistry set when I was a kid and one of the little jugs had plastic lining and it was phenylphthalate or something very close to that. I remember it because it was one of the few bottles in the set with a warning label that said it was poison. My dad confiscated it from me cause I think it stained or because I had made soehting with it that stained, but I can tell you from my own experience, if I remeber my chemistry set, that they knew it was bad at least since the late seventies.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Twitchy
I agree. There're literally hundreds of instances where corporate malfeasance has led directly to the long term poisoning of Americans, and these are documented! What about all the undocumented ones? And Mercury..let's not forget about mercury...

Orion
The effect these chemicals have on grown women are manifested in their children. The affect on grown men is unknown, but I imagine it simply builds up in the system. I'm sure the lethality varies from form to form, but in any case, exposure to adults doesn't seem to be the main problem. (adults have plenty of other hazardous stuff set aside just for them)

The main problem is the young men today, now, who were affected by their mother's unwitting exposure. How many people are affected, that's what I want to know. Rates of male impotence in various forms rose fast, and are still rising. Hence, it appears the damage has been done.

I would guess men over age 60 were exposed to little when in the womb, whereas those men in their twenties were probably exposed to a great deal. PVC carries drinking water to how many modern homes? Fragrances..lipsticks..paints..plastics..women are exposed to these products morning, noon, and night. I mean..think about all the various things that you might come into contact with in a day, everything from tampon applicators and condoms, to plates, cups, and plastic utensils!

It's really, really important to have all the facts before screaming about the sky falling..

But let me do it anyway..the sky appears to be falling...

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 02:04 AM
link   
I have just one thing to say,

The FDA is a complete joke when it comes to the safety of our consumer goods !

Do they still have the scientists left over from the tree hugging hippie days ?

I know that we have the updated knowledge on all of our consumables but still nothing changes. The FDA is allowing us to become slowley poisoned.

Is this called population control ?

Hmmmmmm

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 02:24 AM
link   
It was phenylphthaline, what I was trying to say in my last post. Late seventies maybe early eighties, but the warning had Mr. YuckMouth on it.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 04:35 AM
link   
www.ourstolenfuture.org...

Excellent resource for those wanting to know more.

Check out the links within the link for more specific info, some of it is really timely...

According to that link..and the research they've collected together..we're screwed.

In September 2000, the US Centers for Disease Control released the first substantial assessment of phthalate exposure in the American public. Their study analyzed urine metabolite residues of seven phthalates. Levels were high for several of the compounds studied, particularly the metabolite of DBP. Of greatest concern was the discovery that in their sample, an disproportionate number of women of child-bearing age bore high levels of this metabolite. Given Gray's data on fetal vulnerability, this is precisely the population that should minimize exposure to this anti-androgen.

I mean this is serious..the one group who should minimize exposure actually showed increased exposure along demographic lines...

That makes me think it might have been targetted...

Anybody else feel a chill?

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Pharmaceutical Companies and Chemical Companies often run under the same companies, it doesn't take much adding together to figure out one possible angle. One makes you sick thile the other bills your insurance for it.
Odd this study just came out right after the new Push to limit class actions suits though.
What we need is a class action brought against the FDA for every american who ever swallowed any flouride, ate any aspartame, or anybody that drank from lead or pvc pipes. Now they want control of the world's food markets? (i.e. Monsanto)
Capitalism is a great system, but is has no business in government, this is a good reason why.

Check out my thread on teflon.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Apparently Greenpeace says that the chemicals can masquerade as estrogen, which would explain the inhibited testicular growth and what not. The above is according to this website:
www.rppi.org...

I'm not sure of its validity, but I thought I'd share the hearsay. An interesting note is that New Car Smell some people love so much... Yeah, that's the smell of airborne phthalates.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 05:38 AM
link   
women probably testing with higher levels because they use more cosmetics and detergents...

if this is something that was "targeted, well, they had really bad aim..

The effects of this is being seen in fish, birds, polar bears, and alot of other animals..

Maybe a good topic for this thread would be:
"Our Pollution is Turning You Into A Girly Man"

or

Pollution Makes Birds Queer, What's it doing to you?"

either would probably get lot more people opening the thread to see what's it's about...

This would be frightening, if we just didn't have such a inborn tendency to be so stupid!!

I'm in my mid 40's and well, there wasn't nearly as much plastic and other crap surrounding us back when I was a kid as there is now. So, I don't believe that the children of my generation will really show the full extent of this....but, well, these kids have been born in the stuff, and raised in it!!! What's the next generation gonna be like?

Other species of animals have shorter life cycles and we are finding male fish that are carrying eggs, female birds nesting together, and other strange habits......

other related links:

www.greenleft.org.au...

www.gascape.org...

www.chemsoc.org...

Maybe we should skip using those frozen embryos for stem cell research and well, just keep them in deepfreeze, just in case. We might need them later to repopulate the human species?

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Solution:
Paris Hilton public service announcements warning of the dangers.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Adonsa
I don't get it.
Can you explain the joke to me please?

Dawnstar
I think that might be a very good idea, preserving samples, archived and safe from this crap out in the world.

I don't think it will do much good frankly..but it's worth a shot.

My problem is this..currently it takes money to be cured of disease. It takes money to prevent disease. It takes money to preserve your genetics in an intact form. All of these things require money and connections.

The average Joe has neither money nor connections. So what's an average Joe to do?

The problem I see with this information is basically our inability to act upon it. People have been so beaten down, they feel powerless to stand against the vast number of threats they perceive. They give in and adopt a 'come what may' attitude.

Not that there's anything inherently wrong with that attitude, but it doesn't spur change, that's for sure. What we need now is change, big heaping helpings. I personally think change is always good, but I'm a Gypsy Chameleon, so I'm a bit biased.

posted on May, 28 2005 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Adonsa
I don't get it.
Can you explain the joke to me please?

Hi WyrdeOne,
Paris seems to be doing a good job with her Carl's Junior burger / carwash ad campaign; given her extraordinary talent..... uh, might be appropriate, maybe.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join