It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Navy, Army, Marines or AirForce??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 5 2003 @ 07:29 PM
link   
When Im done with school I want to join the Navy so they pay college for me. But several people I know who are in service say that the Navy sux and doesnt pay good. What do you think is better: Navy ,Army, Marines or AirForce
I need a lil advice

posted on Aug, 5 2003 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Air force man. Better pay and if your only looking for college help the airforces work (desk jocky) is the easiest.

posted on Aug, 5 2003 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Well I have a couple of friends in the armed forces and the pay is not that great no matter what branch you're in. Especially starting out.

posted on Aug, 5 2003 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Air Force training isn't as intense as say the Marine or Army training. Marines would be a good challenge although if you go into the Navy you can later become a Navy SEAL after a few years of service. You need to really talk to a recruiter and pick what best fits you, all of the divisions are good. You shouldn't go by what pays the most, you should look at it as "Hey Look, I'm serving my country and I'm damn proud of it".

[Edited on 6-8-2003 by Midnight Mutilator]

posted on Aug, 5 2003 @ 08:50 PM
link   
Absolutely, the Air Force is the way to go if you are a slacker. If you are a real man, join the Marines. Semper Fidelis.

posted on Aug, 5 2003 @ 11:10 PM
link   
It all comes down to what you want. What is your field?

posted on Aug, 6 2003 @ 01:32 PM
link   
The pay is basically all the same, only with minor differences depending on your job and duty location.

IMHO, here is how I break the services down (bearing in mind I am a Navy vet).

Army: My last choice. This branch is never gonna get anymore funding from Congress, unless they completely change their mission to evolve into a rapid-reaction force (BTW the Marines aready excell at that). Army is too cumbersome and still thinks of fighting big tank battles in central Europe that will never happen now. Least technical training available.

Marines: Great choice IF you are physically fit, mentally tought and immune to criticism. Say what you want about the Corp, but a seasoned Marine in a dress uniform earns RESPECT on the spot. There is not alot of technical training available, but the chances of exciting duty and travel are great. Joining the Marines is like joining a fraternity, you will always be a part of it.

Air Force: "Club" Air Force is a great choice if you are a slacker, a nerd, a non-physical type, or someone who hates to travel. Awesome technical training, the USAF has its fingers into everything technical. Also has the benefits of nice, modern bases where you get stationed for like 5-8 years in a row if you want. Many administrative jobs in the USG are done by USAF personnel. However, nobody will ever mistake you for being "tough".

Navy: Best combination of good things. Excellent technical training, good chance to travel, not to too physically tough. Because the Navy operates on the surface, below the surface, and in the air, there is no limit to what you can do for a job. Besides, there is nothing like being a salty Navy man with a rakish cut to your jibe!

Besides, the Navy recruitment commercials are way coole, don't you think?

posted on Aug, 6 2003 @ 02:29 PM
link   
How about the Coast Guard.

No chance of combat. Plus all the drugs you can pocket

posted on Aug, 6 2003 @ 04:22 PM
link   
unless you want to place your life at unnecessary risk and fight for all the wrong causes, do not join any of the US armed forces.

im not being unpatriotic. i have seriously considered becoming an officer of the Navy before, but would never sacrifice my life to protect a bunch of old farts who never get sick of making more money.

all the respect in the world to the men and women who have unwittingly made this sacrifice, and I wish you all godspeed and the best of luck. refuse those vaccines at all costs and pay close attention to the various stories of the Gulf War Illness

posted on Aug, 6 2003 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Thanks you guys and especially Pyros, you really helped me

[Edited on 7-8-2003 by StalkingPanther]

posted on Aug, 7 2003 @ 05:53 PM
link   
Quick question, Pyros. Do you know the Marines training difficulty in comparison to the Army's? Just curious. Thank you

-WD

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by NinjaoftheNight
Air force man. Better pay and if your only looking for college help the airforces work (desk jocky) is the easiest.

bingo.

no to mention that enlisted aircrew positions are pretty sweet too.

Army=Bunch of grunts
Marines=Bunch of Grunts with attitudes
Navy=NOthing but water on every side of ya for 3 mounths at a time.
Air Force=The Best and smartest branch

you can tell which one im going into when i graduate

"off we go into the wild bule yonder.."

[Edited on 14-8-2003 by KrazyIvan]

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Air force!!!!! Gotta love a couple of tonnes of metal hanging in the air exactly the same way bricks don't!

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Air Force all the way. I hate to hear that trash about us doing nothing. I know for my job I do the work of 4 Marines/Army grunts, unless they've changed their training recently I might be down to only doing 2 of their jobs. I do Satellite Comm and Microwave Comm, both operator and maintainer. The Marines and Army have it broke up into Satcom operator, satcom maintainer, microwave operator, microwave maintainer. But then again they may have just combined operator and maintainer, but that still puts the Air Force ahead. Also people out of my career field do telemetry for the Predator and missile test ranges.

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 07:32 PM
link   
I forgot to mention for the most part it is all the same equipment with minor changes. I went to 3 tech schools, 2 at the Army's Ft. Gordon, home of the Signal Corp or something like that. One of the schools was a joint school with Army, Marines, Navy, and Air Force, and I remember learning their equipment, but I asked some Army guys if they learn the Air Force's equipment and they said they didn't. I think people misunderstand that having better bases and air conditioning makes us slackers. And I know every Army guy out there pretty much hates the Air Force or wants to be in the Air Force.

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Army training is no where near as brutal as Marine training, if that answers your question. the marines go to basic for 13 weeks, army, second longest at 8 weeks.

Marines is alright if you wanna be the first wave shock troops to take tha majority of the bullets and be the first to get sent back in a body bag. Army is great if while youre not a wimp, you prefer to come in after the Marines and sit down and take the rest of the bullets. navy is fine if youre a freak of nature he likes being trapped on a boat for 6 months. Air Force isnt even military, for christ sake, they call each other by first name, work in 8 hour shifts, dont have to do physical fitness exercises, actually discuss politics with one another, and get set up on the best bases after the marines ahve seized them and the army rebuilds them. Air Force is the way youre lookin at if you really dont care about impressing chicks and actually want to leave with half the brain you entered with. Join the army or Marines, and youll have them beat out of you, and get sent to every #hole on the planet.

Of course, id pick the army, because, after they sent in the Marines to scare the # out of the enemy, they get us good and drunk, then send us in to worsen foreign relations with the locals.

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 07:44 PM
link   
"Air Force is the way youre lookin at if you really dont care about impressing chicks and actually want to leave with half the brain you entered with."

I seriously thought that was the army. I know how the army's drill sergeants at their AIT pump them up to think they are actually the best at what they do. Besides the army is really for people that wanna be Airborne Rangers or just don't meet the requirements to get into the Air Force.

Also you guys hardly get any college credit for your AIT. I got some 50 semester hours out of mine and this army chick said she got 6 because she wasn't an NCO.

[Edited on 8-14-2003 by bigkeeser]

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 08:24 PM
link   
Thanks guys for your opinions. I actually wanted to go for Navy but you guys made me interested in the Air force. I dont need to go in the army to impress chicks cause I already got them around me
I wanted to do something with computer surveillance or just computers

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 09:34 PM
link   

the pay is not that great no matter what branch you're in

Not really so true... You'll have next to ZERO expenses other than fun, so it's actually more money than you think. Not to mention, if you're talking combat pay, then that can be pretty sweet to a guy just out of high school, who isn't paying rent, meals, etc.

posted on Aug, 13 2003 @ 10:55 PM
link   
Coast Guard.

It's the only one that does something usefull in peacetime.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join