It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Students protest outside military recruiting stations

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Students from across the Seattle area protested outside a military recruiting station demanded an end to U.S. operations in Iraq. This particular protest was part of a string of protest throughout the country organized around military recruiting stations. There were no arrests.

seattlepi.nwsource.com
Students from area universities, colleges and high schools demanded an end to U.S. operations in Iraq as they rallied outside a downtown military recruiting station, where a recruiter said some protesters pounded on windows and doors.

Protests also were staged outside recruiting stations in the Northgate area and in the University District next to the University of Washington. Students called for an end to military recruitment in schools and said money spent on the war should be used to better fund public education.

"The youth of this city and the youth of this country are standing up against this war," said Federico Martinez, 23, a student at The Evergreen State College in Olympia. "We want education to be the funding priority of the United States government, not the occupation of a sovereign nation."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This comes in light of a recent case a military recruiter accused of raping an applicant in his own house and another recruiter threatening to arrest and young person if he backed down from the application. The demonstrations also followed a one days suspension by the U.S. military on recruiting due to some improper practices used by military recruiters.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
www.atsnn.com...

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Hey, I thought Protesting was a privledge????

When was we ever allowed to protest for something we actually belived in???

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
I say good for them.

Students carried signs that read, "Money for tuition not ammunition," and "I want to learn to read not to kill."

*having flashback from the 60's*

Unfortunately, if recruiting keeps falling off, they will have to start up the draft.

posted on May, 24 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
Hum...I have not seen anything going on around our local base, but I will keep an eye on, nothing ever happens around here.

Been our state a blue state I doubt that it will be any protest at all.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Just wanted to point out that this story seems to be getting even more press coverage as of late.

Anti-Military Recruiting Campaigns Heats up At Seattle Schools
On Monday, four US military recruiting offices in Seattle were shut down when students blocked the entrances to protest recruitment practices and to oppose the occupation of Iraq. Meanwhile the Parent Teacher Student Association at one school has passed a resolution recommending that military recruiters be barred from the campus. [includes rush transcript]
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Students from nine local universities, community colleges and high schools joined in simultaneous demonstrations. A military recruiting office near the University of Washington and another near Garfield High School were also blockaded by groups of students.
Garfield High School also made news recently when the school's Parent Teacher Student Association passed a resolution recommending that military recruiters be barred from the campus. The resolution, passed on May 9th, was the first of its kind in the state. Seattle school district officials then released a statement stating that under President Bush's No Child Left Behind Act, it was illegal to ban only military recruiters - they must be granted the same access to students as college or job recruiters at schools that receive federal money.
www.democracynow.org.../05/25/1414224

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Nothing like that happening where i live in Florida. I live about two blocks from a recruiting station. The same one where i joined in the Navy back in the 90s.

These kids can protest all they want, as long as they don't try to stop anyone from actually using their own free will and decide to join the military.

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 10:26 PM
link   
As i said before, and i was harassed about this, I have had recruiters threaten me. There are stories of recruiters lying to get enlistments etc. Good for these kids!

posted on May, 26 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   
Here is even more on the ongoing military recruiting crisis. The problems that the U.S. military is running into with unbelievably poor recruiting turn outs just supports the need for a mandatory military draft across the country. Problem-Reaction-Solution. Don't be surprised if the government has made it appear as if the U.S. military is running into problems with recruiting new soldiers.

Military Recruitment in High Schools Raises Questions
The head of the Army Recruiting Command, Major General Michael D. Rochelle, called for a “values stand-down” known in military parlance as a day of suspension on May 20, 2005. Aside from such a day in October 2004 which dealt with safety issues for recruiters, Major General Rochelle has never called a session to address recruiters regarding what he referred to as a means of reviewing the moral obligations of their mission. During a news briefing on May 20th, Rochelle said, “that some of the news coverage did make me more sensitive to the fact that there were some practices that were occurring just below my radar.”

At the heart of this matter is Rochelle’s own admission of “overlooking or concealing problems and police records that might make a recruit ineligible.” Most notably is the case of a 17-year-old high school student in suburban Denver, David McSwane, who posed as a drug user and dropout for an article for his school’s newspaper. Recruiters assisted McSwane with passing a drug test, manufacturing a fake diploma and getting around physical fitness requirements. In Houston, TX a local television news station, KHOU, broke the story of a recruiter who threatened to arrest a young high school student if he failed to show up at the recruitment station. And in Ohio a mentally ill student was signed for military service despite prohibition of such enlistments. His medical records were available but were never requested by the military according to his parents.

Since the all-volunteer military was formed in 1973, following United States involvement in the Viet Nam War, the Army in particular faces its biggest challenge to date in signing new recruits. The Army has not met its recruitment goals for the third straight month and is 6,600 recruits behind from where it hoped to be at this point in the fiscal year which would be 80,000 signed by the fiscal year’s end date of October 1st. The Marines have also faced their biggest recruitment deficit in over a decade. At issue is whether enough positions will be filled in order to effectively fight the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.
www.commonvoice.com...

new topics

top topics

join