It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Airwolf - Is it possible

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 08:00 PM
link   
When I was younger, a tv show called Airwolf used to be on. For those who never saw it, it was about a helicopter that could travel at mach 1.

The helicopter on the show was a Bell 222 Triple Duce which had jets engines on ether side of its body.

My question is, is this possible in reality?

[edit on 21/5/05 by Stranger Dreamer]

[edit on 21/5/05 by Stranger Dreamer]

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 08:28 PM
link   
No, the aircraft will be too hard to control at this speed and the rotors would face too much stress and could tear off.

The way around this is a project by the X-50A CRW, it's basically similar to the aircraft that was featured in the 6th Day.

This aircraft has a rotor that can also be used as a fixed wing inflight, currently there is a unmanned prototype, but this could very well be turned into a manned attack helicopter platform.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
you should know that model just for making a movie

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 09:59 PM
link   
The Deuce is a gorgeous, photogenic helicopter with a very big teetering rotor that is quite stable IF flown within a narrow envelope. For example, in real life you cannot expect to successfully loop or roll this helicopter without cutting off the mast due to mast bumping; and it is subject to the limits of forward airspeed set by the physics of retreating blade stall.

In fact, you don't want to even do close terrain terrain following (hill crest pushovers) in this kind of ship.

Which makes for a nice, smooth ride.

posted on May, 21 2005 @ 10:15 PM
link   
no because you will end up with the aircraft travelling faster than the rotor can provide lift.

For example as you move forward faster the rotor starts to lose the air preasure over the surface until there is not enough lift for sustained flight.

Aircraft such as the Hind have short wings attached for increased lift at higher speeds... but it is physically impossible for a helicopter to go supersonic unless you can find a way to make an engine and rotor strong enough to reach the required rotation velocity.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 05:27 AM
link   
Speed wise, no.

I can't see any reason against the weapons, though.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 07:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by DeltaNine
Speed wise, no.

I think that modern weapon platforms far exceed the capabilities of the weapons they had on airwolf now.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 07:15 AM
link   
Thanks for clearing that up guys

So with the X50 they actually tried to build a supersonic helicopter.

Yeah I know it wasnt real, the nose part and the engines were only fibreglass parts bolted on. The Deuce is a great looking helicopter.

[edit on 22/5/05 by Stranger Dreamer]

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I actually do think this is possible. The rotor blades could stop rotating, just as the jets kicked in, subsequently folding away nicely on the top of the aircraft. Once this can be achieved, speeds of over mach 1 are possible!

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Sikorsky tried use the rotor as a wing in the 1980's. The aircraft flew fine as a helicopter and wasn't too bad as a fixed wing, but they couldn't get the transition from helicopter to fixed wing to work right.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Stranger Dreamer
Thanks for clearing that up guys

So with the X50 they actually tried to build a supersonic helicopter.

X50 is not suposed to go supersonic. It should have high subsonic speeds like Harrier for example. I think it will make 780km/hour max.

posted on May, 22 2005 @ 10:18 AM
link   
Oh I thought the X50 was an atempt to build one.

That Sikorsky helicopter looks interesting and that sounds like a good idea veritas 7, the helicopter on the show switched off its rotors before activating the jets but its rotors never folded in.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 12:04 PM
link   
That Sikorski concept looks too complicated and heavy - let's count - 2 turbines for rotor, another 2 engines for forward flight + anti torque rotor - really technologically "elegant" and "inovative" solution.

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 05:28 PM
link   
At Fort Rucker:

Aviation is an extension, a refinement of the ancient equestrian art. In classifying the aircraft of the new cavalry, one must remember the speciation of the varieties of flying machines. Airplanes are the thoroughbreds, the racehorses and warhorses. Helicopters are the donkeys, asenine but useful. Any combination of the two results in a mule- interesting, having its uses- but undeniably sterile.

Helicopter pilots hate hybrids.

[edit on 23-5-2005 by Chakotay]

posted on May, 23 2005 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by AgentSmith

Originally posted by DeltaNine
Speed wise, no.

I think that modern weapon platforms far exceed the capabilities of the weapons they had on airwolf now.

No, I mean the whole hiding of guns and missiles completely internaly. You'll notice even on the Comanache (RIP) that the gun was external.

new topics

top topics

join