It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Russia urges US to avoid space arms race (NATO running Amok)

page: 6
<< 3  4  5   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigPimpin
I agree with Russia, but if they used force, it might make things worse.

Why? don't you think the main advantage of a weapon in space would be for defensive purposes? Do you really see the United States launching nukes, even though they said no WMDs, or any other weapon at another country just for the hell of it? Perhaps they are gaining ground with the Star Wars Missle defense program and that is why Russia doesn't want the US to have weapons in space. Simply because it would give the US a distinct advantage over any other nation with Nuclear Weapons. Cuz now the US can attack with their sword and block with their shield while other countries are without a shield. It's not like the US is out to start destroying the world, contrary to what other nations/people may believe.

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 07:00 AM
link   

Why? don't you think the main advantage of a weapon in space would be for defensive purposes? Do you really see the United States launching nukes, even though they said no WMDs, or any other weapon at another country just for the hell of it? Perhaps they are gaining ground with the Star Wars Missle defense program and that is why Russia doesn't want the US to have weapons in space. Simply because it would give the US a distinct advantage over any other nation with Nuclear Weapons. Cuz now the US can attack with their sword and block with their shield while other countries are without a shield. It's not like the US is out to start destroying the world, contrary to what other nations/people may believe.

i just gonna say this:

power corrupts and Ultimate power corupts ultimatly......

Cos you didnt use Nukes yet (ow forgot Hiroshima) doesnt meen you wont use them again in future. Another crazy prezident AkA Bush 3 and we are all screwed.

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 01:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitali
Cos you didnt use Nukes yet (ow forgot Hiroshima) doesnt meen you wont use them again in future. Another crazy prezident AkA Bush 3 and we are all screwed.

Such insight... yup your right we do have the distinction of actually dropping two of those... And Bush DOES have a son....

Canada is looking good....

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 01:22 PM
link   
THE ONE AND ONLY REASON I disagree with putting something like this out to space ..... would be because it may fall into the wrong hands ... Even if the wrong hands are US americans .... We all make mistakes .. it just seems to me that when we were a younger country we made alot more mistakes ... but Then again I guess so did everyone that ... Was young at one time ... Even Britain and so on and so forth .... Hopefully we have learned after years of giving the World BILLIONS and helping every little country that had something wrong with them out .. they have figured it out that we cannot run around putting are noses in evbery one elses business ... UNLESS NEED BE ! SUCH as N. Korea ... is ... getting there again ...

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
It would take every single nation on the planet to ally against us through isolationism...

SCO

www.cfr.org...

Just add a few more countries.. and ther you have it. Maybe Cuba, Brazil, Venezuela, Iran...

The ball is rolling my friend wether you like it or not. I liken your attitude to what many in Nazi Germany must have felt early on.

posted on Jul, 11 2006 @ 11:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
I think the current situation is much better if we could maintain it, mutual respect, healthy distrust, and cooperation when it counts. I think the rivalry that exists between the two nations will keep the balance, provided another Stalin doesn't come into the picture. All through the Cold War American culture has depicted this hidden camaraderie behind political posturing in movies like James Bond. Its evident today in the space program... for one and I am sure you can find many more sample if you look.

Exactly. I don't see Russia and US being great allies in the future (maybe against China in the very far future, or against the alliens in the even farther future), but what is between the two now pretty much works.

One thing I do not like however is how US is portraying Russia through its propaganda machine- AKA the free press. As I said before they are portraying Russia as a hungry bear who is just waiting to support terrorists and growl at peaceful and happy Europe. Almost anything Russia does is said to be undemocractic, especially if you heard VP Cheney's speach on democracy during Eastern Europe conference a few months ago (to which Russia was so kindly not invited- in fact treated as if its not even there). He was talking about how Putin devours all that is sacred democratic in sight. Well US couldn't have found a better spokesman for democracy (other than maybe Hitler or Saddam Hussein).

Russian on the other hand does not do this with its media. it doesn't take every chance it gets to accuse US of something. I simply reports its side of the news, and pretty much doesn't pay much attention to what US is doing in its sphere of influence.

In my opinion US has alot of issues of its own. Its democracy is very far from being perfect democracy (Patriot Act or 200 election anyone?), nor is does it bring peace and happiness through the world (unless you consider 2,000 bombs and thousands of tanks rolling ahead to liberate you- peace and happiness). So untill it deals with all of its little (or big) imperfections, it should mind its own business and stay out of accusing others of doing the same thing it is doing itself. This includes accusing Russia, Iran, North Korea, Syria, Venezuela, Cuba, Indonesia, Lybia, Serbia, China, and many others. Same goes for EU. US and EU are too full of themselves to see that they are far from perfect.

[edit on 11-7-2006 by maloy]

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Same goes for EU. US and EU are too full of themselves to see that they are far from perfect.

I really like wat you just sayed here.....

indeed Europe has its own way of doig and they are just eating off both sides, ofcorse its a smart thing to do but eventually it will hurt...Not having friends nor allies is not the solution. You will have to pick sides.

On the Coment about Russian media..i have to tell you this: We dont make propaganda about US..people are not stupied out there (well most of them) They lived with havy propaganda for to long they can sence it coming from miles and miles away. We let the US make fun of themselfs...they are already good at it.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 02:29 AM
link   

Same goes for EU. US and EU are too full of themselves to see that they are far from perfect.

indeed Europe has its own way of doig and they are just eating off both sides, ofcorse its a smart thing to do but eventually it will hurt...Not having friends nor allies is not the solution. You will have to pick sides.

On the Coment about Russian media..i have to tell you this: We dont make propaganda about US..people are not stupied out there (well most of them) They lived with havy propaganda for to long they can sence it coming from miles and miles away. We let the US make fun of themselfs...they are already good at it.

Have you actually been to the US? There are many people who do not totally trust the media, and definitely don't blindly trust the government. Of course out of the US we are seen as ignorant arrogant nationalistic warmongers corporation driven money corrupting people. WHO really has the propaganda handed to them?

I have been to England, Switzerland, Holland, Germany, France, and China. We are all the same. Nobody is better than anyone else. Most Americans don't think Chinese people are stupid and we are better than them for example. We just think our government is better than theirs. Which can be debated, and I am not going to debate it.

So stop with the, "Oh we are so much smarter than Americans" attitude. Because really, you have no idea what you are talking about.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 02:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by Slap Nuts

Originally posted by apc
It would take every single nation on the planet to ally against us through isolationism...

SCO

www.cfr.org...

Just add a few more countries.. and ther you have it. Maybe Cuba, Brazil, Venezuela, Iran...

The ball is rolling my friend wether you like it or not. I liken your attitude to what many in Nazi Germany must have felt early on.

The SCO couldn't take America and its allies on. Have you seen the members of the SCO? The SCO is not stupid enough to take NATO on. But anyway, enough of THAT. The world won't "turn on the US" any time soon, but I see your point, in pointing out that countries need friends (if that was your point).

EDIT: Also I wanted to point out, the SCO is mostly an economic cartel in response to Western interests. That does not mean, contrary to popular belief, that these countries would fight together.

[edit on 12-7-2006 by RetinoidReceptor]

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor

Have you actually been to the US? There are many people who do not totally trust the media, and definitely don't blindly trust the government. Of course out of the US we are seen as ignorant arrogant nationalistic warmongers corporation driven money corrupting people. WHO really has the propaganda handed to them?

I have been to England, Switzerland, Holland, Germany, France, and China. We are all the same. Nobody is better than anyone else. Most Americans don't think Chinese people are stupid and we are better than them for example. We just think our government is better than theirs. Which can be debated, and I am not going to debate it.

So stop with the, "Oh we are so much smarter than Americans" attitude. Because really, you have no idea what you are talking about.

Its not that we are smarter but somethings we just know how to handel and it seems that US doesnt. Bye saying that media in russia is better I dont Imply that Russia is over all better....I jsut read an artical that stated: Some guy in Syberia mailed Putin to say that all the woman in his villadge are gone to big cities and that he luuuuvs animals and he wandered when it will be allowed to mary one...i ment like wtf lolol...idiots are everywere.

posted on Jul, 12 2006 @ 08:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by RetinoidReceptor

I lived in US for a pretty long amount of time, and I met countless if ignorant people. The scary part is that many of these people are not some peasants- they are college educated adults with respectable jobs. Of course I met even more wise people, who know better than to trust what the tv tells them. But there are many prominent people, who are so patriotic about US that they cannot see any of its faults. They go around waving flags and proclaiming their dedication to free the people of Iraq and the world from tyranny- free them by bombing the hell out of them, and then running over whats left with tanks and occupation forces. These people refuse to acknowledge many faults of the US, and stand behind everything Bush does. Of course any country in the world has blind lemmings such as these, but I never met ones so patriotic and unyeilding as in US.

Russia is not like that. People in Russia take everything (and I mean everything) with a grain of salt. They don't go parading around with Russian flags after any disaster and singing pledges to Putin. Yes he has alot of support, but even his main supporters see some faults in him. Russians (and Asians, and South Americans) are mostly very distrustful of what their government tells them. They are not as easy to buy with cheap propaganda and nationalism (as Americans were after 9/11).

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5   >>

join