It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Under Cheney, Halliburton Helped Saddam Hussein Siphon Billions from UN Oil-for-Food Program

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 08:53 AM
link   

"Through secret government-to-government trade agreements, Saddam Hussein's government earned more than $7.5 billion," the report says. "At the same time, by demanding kickbacks from foreign companies that received oil or that supplied consumer goods, Iraq received at least $2 billion more to spend on weapons or on Saddam's extravagant palaces."

But the one company that helped Saddam exploit the oil-for-food program in the mid-1990s that wasn't identified in Duelfer's report was Halliburton, and the person at the helm of Halliburton at the time of the scheme was Vice President Dick Cheney. Halliburton and its subsidiaries were one of several American and foreign oil supply companies that helped Iraq increase its crude exports from $4 billion in 1997 to nearly $18 billion in 2000 by skirting U.S. laws and selling Iraq spare parts so it could repair its oil fields and pump more oil. Since the oil-for-food program began, Iraq has sold $40 billion worth of oil. U.S. and European officials have long argued that the increase in Iraq's oil production also expanded Saddam's ability to use some of that money for weapons, luxury goods and palaces. Security Council diplomats estimate that Iraq was skimming off as much as 10 percent of the proceeds from the oil-for-food program thanks to companies like Halliburton and former executives such as Cheney.

But Cheney's denials don't hold up. Halliburton played a major role in helping Iraq repair its oil fields during the mid-1990s that allowed Saddam to siphon off funds from the oil-for-food program to fund a weapons program, which Cheney and President Bush insist was the case.

source:
Scoop

Now in the time of bringing-up skeletons from the closet - especially when talking about "UN Oil 4 Food Programe" that was installed in Iraq after the First Gulf War - we NEED to talk about Halliburton, and what kind of role they played in this "Oil 4 Food Corruption Programe".

Apparenetly not a Small one.

Lets end this with kind words of mister Cheney:

"The problem is that the good Lord didn't see fit to always put oil and gas resources where there are democratic governments."

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Souljah

"The problem is that the good Lord didn't see fit to always put oil and gas resources where there are democratic governments."

This last line may be very right but that is why the "good lord" empowered the "democratic" governments to be able to go into oil producing countries and bribe them, and when that doesn't work, "democratic" countries use our "lord" given right to attack them and invade them.

The irony, the hypocrisy, the lies and the truth are only seen by the ones that has known already that things are not always what they seem.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by marg6043

"The problem is that the good Lord to always put oil and gas resources where there are democratic governments."

This last line may be very right but that is why the "good lord" empowered the "democratic" governments to be able to go into oil producing countries and bribe them, and when that doesn't work, "democratic" countries use our "lord" given right to attack them and invade them.

Words that mister Cheney chose for this statement, sound like coming from a mouth of a Muslim Cleric - "Allah has Given us the Right to take oil and gas resources and call that Democracy!".

No offence to Muslim Clerics!

So who is THE HardCore Religious eXtremist here?

The irony, the hypocrisy, the lies and the truth are only seen by the ones that has known already that things are not always what they seem.

I learned in Life that not to Belive ANYBODY what they Say - but to Watch what they DO!

Words dont Count - ACTIONS Count!

[edit on 17/5/05 by Souljah]

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   
There's some credibility issues with the article you reference. That could very well explain why "the news hasn't gotten out".

From the article:

The Halliburton subsidiaries, Dresser-Rand and Ingersoll Dresser Pump Co., sold water and sewage treatment pumps, spare parts for oil facilities and pipeline equipment to Baghdad through French affiliates from the first half of 1997 to the summer of 2000, U.N. records show. Ingersoll Dresser Pump also signed contracts -- later blocked by the United States -- according to the Post, to help repair an Iraqi oil terminal that U.S.-led military forces destroyed in the Gulf War years earlier.

1. Dresser-Rand and Ingersoll Dresser were joint ventures between Dresser Corp and Ingersoll-Rand. Dresser Corp had majority shares in Dresser-Rand, but Ingersoll-Rand had majority shares in Ingersoll Dresser. Since Ingersoll Dresser was never controlled by Dresser Corp., there is absolutely no time that Ingersoll Dresser could have been considered a "subsidiary" of Halliburton Corp.
2. Within 18 months of the Dresser Corp/Halliburton Corp merger, Halliburton divested itself of any interests in both the Dresser-Rand and the Ingersoll Dresser joint ventures with Ingersoll-Rand. www.halliburton.com...
3. The merger between Dresser/Halliburton took place in 1998. That's after the above events with Dresser/Ingersoll took place.

The above mistakes could have been avoided with just 15 minutes of basic research on the corporations involved. As it is now - that's quite a bit of the egg on the face of whomever wrote it.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 10:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
1. Dresser-Rand and Ingersoll Dresser were joint ventures between Dresser Corp and Ingersoll-Rand. Dresser Corp had majority shares in Dresser-Rand, but Ingersoll-Rand had majority shares in Ingersoll Dresser. Since Ingersoll Dresser was never controlled by Dresser Corp., there is absolutely no time that Ingersoll Dresser could have been considered a "subsidiary" of Halliburton Corp.
2. Within 18 months of the Dresser Corp/Halliburton Corp merger, Halliburton divested itself of any interests in both the Dresser-Rand and the Ingersoll Dresser joint ventures with Ingersoll-Rand. www.halliburton.com...
3. The merger between Dresser/Halliburton took place in 1998. That's after the above events with Dresser/Ingersoll took place.

The above mistakes could have been avoided with just 15 minutes of basic research on the corporations involved. As it is now - that's quite a bit of the egg on the face of whomever wrote it.

Wow.

I guess you know your "Halliburton Factfile".

I am sure that Halliburton has an Army of Lawyers constantly working and protecting the Corporation. Thats why they are still making Billions of USD, and the more they have, the more invincible they are.

I sure dont want to protect an Organisation like that...

Anyway, nice find tho!

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Fantastic find Souljah.

I was about to momentarily post a similar thread from a highly credible source (guardian), implicating the US/Bush Administration was behind 52% of the oil-for-food generated kickbacks for Saddams evil empire.

www.guardian.co.uk...

Yet another page of corruption in the ongoing saga that has become the legacy of George W. Bush. I can't wait until he releases his personal memoirs, it should be a good fictional read.

"The United States was not only aware of Iraqi oil sales which violated UN sanctions and provided the bulk of the illicit money Saddam Hussein obtained from circumventing UN sanctions," the report said. "On occasion, the United States actually facilitated the illicit oil sales.

America!.. the cause, and solution to all of mankind's problems!
hehe bombs away!

[edit on 17-5-2005 by syntaxer]

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by syntaxer
Yet another page of corruption in the ongoing saga that has become the legacy of George W. Bush.

Great find in the Guardian!

Ofcourse everybody else is blamed, but USA not.

The scale of the shipments involved dwarfs those previously alleged by the Senate committee against UN staff and European politicians like the British MP, George Galloway, and the former French minister, Charles Pasqua.

And I see a new thread opening, this time its Russia's Turn:

Russians Benefited The Most From Oil For Food Program Corruption.

Well, I am looking forward to reding G.W.Bush Memoirs myself - that will be a real Laugh, I Agree!

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Wow.

I guess you know your "Halliburton Factfile".

Not sure what you meant by this, but if Google's other name is Halliburton Factfile, I guess I'm getting adept. *
* I think that was my point. I spent 15 minutes with Google and found that the author of that article had apparently spent no time at all.

I am sure that Halliburton has an Army of Lawyers constantly working and protecting the Corporation. Thats why they are still making Billions of USD, and the more they have, the more invincible they are.

What's that got to do with the fact I just pointed out the false accusations in the article you reference? Clue me in to the connection here.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 12:35 PM
link   

What's that got to do with the fact I just pointed out the false accusations in the article you reference? Clue me in to the connection here.

I dont buy it, that they are SO Innocent, as they appear to be.

If the Boss of this Company uses words like:

Then this Company scares me, because there is nothing standing between them and their Goals.

OK - they got away this time with "false accusations".

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I hate 'thread diverters', but I posted this some time ago, it seemed relevant here...

Oil-for-Food: U.S. Companies Have a Finger in the Pie, Too...

Not trying to get people to post to my ancient thread, but I didn't feel like reposting the same information twice on the board. Basically the point I was trying to make back then was that the US government was aware of US private involvement in that scandal, long before the Volcker report came out. Sadly, instead of keeping its house in order, the government has decided to put on plenty of distracting sideshows to highlight the misdeeds of other nations, until this blows over.

-koji K.

[edit on 17-5-2005 by koji_K]

[edit on 17-5-2005 by koji_K]

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by koji_K
I hate 'thread diverters', but I posted this some time ago, it seemed relevant here...

Oil-for-Food: U.S. Companies Have a Finger in the Pie, Too...

Thank mister koji_K for providing us with a link to your thread.

That sure was a long time ago - things will come out one way or the other!

Here is another Halliburton Article I Found, from yesterday - apparently Halliburton has a few more "problems" to deal with this Summer...

Houston, We Still Have A Problem

On May 18, Halliburton will hold its annual shareholders meeting in downtown Houston. Inside, CEO David Lesar will be congratulating himself on the astonishing $7.1 billion revenue the company has made off its recent work in Iraq. This number is double what the company made in the war-torn country the previous year; it boosts Halliburton's overall revenue some 25 percent, bringing it to over $20 billion for 2004.

* Halliburton is currently being investigated by the US Federal Bureau of
Investigations and the Securities and Exchange Commission. Additionally, the US Department of Justice is investigating Halliburton's work in Nigeria, Iran, Iraq, and the Balkans.

* Former Halliburton accountants filed a class action lawsuit in August 2004 alleging "systemic" accounting fraud from 1998 to 2001. They are among dozens of "whistleblowers" who've come forward to expose the company's troubling business practices.

*Allegations of overcharging in Iraq persist: Early in 2004, Halliburton returned $6.3 million to the U.S. military, admitting that two of the company's employees took kickbacks from a Kuwaiti company. The company still hasn't repaid the $212.3 million the Defense Contract Audit Agency says Halliburton overcharged for fuel transportation in Iraq, nor has it found the millions of dollars in government property it "lost" because of mismanagement there.

*Sixty Halliburton employees were killed in Iraq in 2004. This tragic number is compounded by allegations by victims' families that say Halliburton
misrepresented the true nature of their loved ones' duties and intentionally placed them in harm's way. These families are now suing Halliburton in both Texas and California.

View Full List

More "Nice Stuff" about Halliburton

top topics

join