It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Monkey Research (bonobos)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 01:26 PM
link   
I saw an extremely interesting newspaper article today. These researchers are working with bonobos, a species of monkey that has DNA that is (if I remember the number correctly) 98.4% similar to humans. They built this ten million dollar house for them and are going to watch what they do. They have vending machines and kitchens. They have flushing toilets. They have these weird keyboards with a few hundred symbols that they can use to communicate to the human researchers with. They have a video camera pointing to their front door, and a button to open the front door, so that they can choose who to let into their house.

I did a google search with a few different keyword searches, and I couldn't find anything related to this. I'm hoping that someone else has heard of this development and can provide some documentation for the ATS community, since this is really cool. (It might even make a good ATSNN submission if someone can find links to back it up)

I'm wholly in favor of this sort of research into primate intelligence. The only negative thing I see is the price tag; ten million bucks is a lot.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 01:41 PM
link   
I'd like to see that article too, sounds interesting. I'd think that these monkey's were trained to use some of the stuff, like the keyboards, else, what would be the valid scientific study of it, ya know? Then again, might not be a scientific study, might be a stunt. Or a reality TV show.

I vote charlton heston to host.

Or, maybe he can be the 'whacky neighbor' that all sitcoms need
external image

[edit on 16-5-2005 by Nygdan]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
I'm familiar with some of the research into liguistic capabilities of Bonobos. According to research done by Sue Savage-Rumbaugh (correct me if I'm wrong), with the bonobo Kanzi, she's completely different than a "trained ape"... she can apparently use the symbols she has learned (such as those present on the keyboard you mention) both creatively, and spontaneously, whereas there is debate over the results of other experiments with the great apes because they may just be exhibiting conditioning.

Here's an interesting quote from an article by Richard Leakey, entitled "The Origin of Humankind"

"In one instance, Savage-Rumbaugh had her keys stolen from her by one of the chimps at the research centre. She asked Kanzi to get them back for her. Kanzi went to the culprit, 'murmured' something in the latter's ear, and came back with the stolen keys." This illustrates Kanzi's ability to understand English voice commands, statements and questions, which the elicits a response in him.

There's lots of further information out there about these interesting experiments with Bobobo's and the experiments with Kanzi are worth checking out further.
You can really see the intelligence of these animals.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne
They built this ten million dollar house for them and are going to watch what they do. They have vending machines and kitchens. They have flushing toilets. They have these weird keyboards with a few hundred symbols that they can use to communicate to the human researchers with. They have a video camera pointing to their front door, and a button to open the front door, so that they can choose who to let into their house.

I'm wholly in favor of this sort of research into primate intelligence. The only negative thing I see is the price tag; ten million bucks is a lot.

As one of the residents, I assure you it's worth the money, I've really enjoyed jerking those white coats chain, they’ll attribute anything you do to some familiar human habit. Like logging on to ATS, they just don't get it, they think I just look at the avatars, but really, I read the posts.

98.4% Monkeys, not just for being almost human anymore...

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 02:13 PM
link   

These researchers are working with bonobos, a species of monkey that has DNA that is (if I remember the number correctly) 98.4% similar to humans.

Bonobos are not a species of monkey.

www.umanitoba.ca...

www.riverapes.com...

5. How do apes differ from monkeys?

"Apes differ from monkeys in several ways. Apes have no tail and generally have a larger body weight than most other primates. They have a more upright body posture and a broad chest.... Apes rely more on vision than on smell and have a short broad nose rather than a snout, as Old World monkeys do. Apes have a larger brain relative to the body size than other primates do...."

Rowe, Noel. The Pictorial Guide to the Primates. New York : Pogonias Press, 1996. P. 207.

www.primates.com...

www.enchantedlearning.com...

APES are not MONKEYS

Many people do not know the difference between a monkey and an ape. Apes evolved from Old World Monkeys about 25 million years ago. Apes are "super monkeys" in the same sense that humans are "super apes."

Compared to monkeys, apes are tailless, have very versatile shoulder joints, and have brains about twice as large.

There used to be many species of apes, but most are now extinct. The six remaining ape species: the "lesser apes" are the gibbon and siamang. The "great apes" are the orangutan, gorilla, chimpanzee, and bonobo. All live quite close to the equator, in either Africa or southeast Asia and its offshore islands.

ID hints: Gibbons and siamangs are acrobats. Orangutans have red hair. Gorillas have strong jaws. You can tell bonobos from black-faced chimps because their hair parts down the middle. And, of course, monkeys have tails.

williamcalvin.com...

[edit on 05/5/16 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 02:31 PM
link   
Well, without getting technical, it can go either way. Apes are descended from primitive monkey like primates, apes are sort of a more restrictive group within the group of 'monkeys'. Apes include Chimps (the bonobo being a type of chimp), orangs, gorillas, and man. But neither 'ape' nor 'monkey' are scientific technical terms.

In the cladistic method of classification (one of many), groups are nested within one another, like russian dolls sort of. SO man is a Primate, an Anthopoid, a homonoid, and finally a hominid. This is why, for example, birds are, literally, dinosaurs.
But things like 'monkey', or 'fish' or 'reptile' don't have scientific technical (re:jargon) reality, so there is variation in their usage. But the common usage I think would agree that Chimps are apes before they are monkies.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Actually Nydan, if you read the associated material, it can't go either way. Regardless of what species apes descended from, Bonobos are not a species of monkey. Not that it matters to the essential point of the original post, but nonetheless, monkeys and apes are of two different Families of the Order Primate:

www.umanitoba.ca...

williamcalvin.com...

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Actually Nydan, if you read the associated material, it can't go either way. Regardless of what species apes descended from, Bonobos are not a species of monkey. Not that it matters to the essential point of the original post, but nonetheless, monkeys and apes are of two different Families of the Order Primate

Families and Orders do not exist in the modern phylogenetic system. However, notice in the manitoba link, that the anthropoidea contain monkeys, New World Monkey's are a type of anthropoid, and man and apes are also a type of anthropoid. But, like with the terms 'fish' and 'reptile', phylogenetic thinking doesn't apply, because 'monkey' isn't a defined term. So I shouldn't be applying it. In phylogenetic thinking, if 'monkey' was a viable term that included things we'd consider monkey's, it'd include the primitive common ancestors of apes and modern monkeys, and in that way, apes woudl be descended from monkeys, and in that way, they'd be monkeys.
But yes I should not be applying cladistics to ranks and such, so yes, apes shouldn't be called monkeys.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 11:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott

These researchers are working with bonobos, a species of monkey that has DNA that is (if I remember the number correctly) 98.4% similar to humans.

Bonobos are not a species of monkey.

Lol my mistake, I hadn't been awake long enough when I typed that up. I crawled out of bed, muddled through the newspaper half-awake, saw that cool story, and then made this post on ATS a few minutes later. Bonobos are chimpanzees, which are a type of ape. From the newspaper pics I think they are pretty small, not that much bigger than monkeys, but they are definitely apes. I think I had meant to say 'primate' where I said 'monkey', but who knows what I was thinking?

Anyone know where I can buy a bonobo suit? I want to apply to live in that house, it sounds pretty sweet...

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 06:50 AM
link   
Have you read 'Chromosome 6' by Robin Cook? Interesting fictional book about bonobo research and genetically enhanced trans-species organ transplants. Lots of action, intrigue, and current event medical science to it. I liked it enough to eventually read it twice. Your thread brought it to mind right away.

posted on May, 17 2005 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I have a prediction...

The Bonobos will masturbate a lot.

Am I like, precog of the year or what?

This is a nifty experiment, I like the idea behind it. They are pretty fascinating critters..despite their..unsettling tendencies toward shameless hedonism. Maybe we're not so different after all.

new topics

top topics

join