It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Congress's Iran Sanctions Could Penalize Britain, France and Germany

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Support for new Iranian sanctions has been growing in the U.S congress lately. The bill is in response to the Bush Administrations claims that Irans nuclear ambitions are not peaceful in nature. The bill would see penalties for multinational companies that engage in trade with Iran. The bill would also cut off foreign aid to countries who engage in trade with the Iranians. Foreign investment in Iran's energy sector from European nations amount $20 million a year.

news.yahoo.com
WASHINGTON - As Iran appears to move closer to resuming nuclear activities, support has been quietly building in Congress for new U.S. sanctions, including penalties that could affect multinational companies and this country's foreign aid recipients.

The legislation would put the United States on a more confrontational course than the one pursued by President Bush. He has supported European efforts to offer Iran incentives in exchange for abandoning its nuclear program.

More than 200 members of the House of Representatives — nearly half the body — are co-sponsoring a bill that would tighten and codify existing sanctions, bar subsidiaries of U.S. companies from doing business in Iran and cut foreign aid to countries that have businesses investing in Iran.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Congresswoman Ros-Lehtinen on how this impacts on U.S/European relations
"I believe that having a stronger, safer world and regional stability is far better than whether we can have crumpets and tea with European leaders,"

Great, a nice 'screw you' to Americas traditional allies from the U.S congress. Just what you'd expect from a nation engaging in a War on Common Sense.

This Iran issue is a joke. There has been no evidence that Iran's nuclear ambitions are hostile in nature. They have allowed unfettered access to their sites by the IAEA as required in the NPT and they have found NO EVIDENCE whatsoever that the Iranians are engaging in nuclear weapons developement.

The only "evidence" contrary to Irans stated nuclear ambition is what the Bush administration has said "they believe". They have provided no evidence to back the claims up. But then again, when do they need to prove anything before they lash out?

[edit on 16/5/05 by subz]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Umm wow, thats a nice, "Thanks for supporting us in the war and all but we're going to have to screw you over." to americas "greatest" ally.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen, R-Fla., the House bill's main sponsor.
Ros-Lehtinen said relations with Europe are not her main concern.

"I believe that having a stronger, safer world and regional stability is far better than whether we can have crumpets and tea with European leaders," she said.

What an idiot. As if this person was actually democratically elected. I can’t believe she used a stereotype like that. She should be impeached. God, politicians are such children. They argue all day, and then get together the next day to argue, just causing a lot of fuss. When will they learn?

Edit: Opps! Maybe I should have scrolled down before posting. I didn’t notice you made the same quote. Glad to see your as disappointed as I am about this comment. Silly bitch, AHHHHHHHH!

[edit on 16-5-2005 by Ishes]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 11:04 AM
link   
I agree with the previous posters. What an idiot.

And obviously the "crumpets" reference makes her comments directed specifically to the British. That's a mostly British word, if I remember right.

Apart from alienating Europe, it would exclude the US businesses from doing business in Iran, and make it easier for EU-only companies to do so.

Everybody loses.

[edit on 16-5-2005 by Aelita]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 12:26 PM
link   
This administration, and the Congress, are mostly short-sighted, self-serving, trigger-happy, self-righteous, arrogant fools, to put it mildly. I really don't understand this small-minded, isolationist viewpoint. It's the type of reckless thinking that will eventually lead to this nation's decline and fall in world status.

History has shown time and time again that civilizations who take it for granted that they are an island, superior to all and reliant on no one eventually will fall. We are no different. The signs are already becoming apparent: our educational system has lost it's superiority in the world, basic scientific research and technological development has lost it's competitive edge and is no longer ranked top in the world, we are no longer looked upon by the rest of the world as a nation with vision, but rather as a nation of arrogance and violence.

This, of course, is IMHO; a gut feeling. But in my experience, my gut is more often right than wrong. We'll see ...

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I am amazed by Americas (in General) lack of knowledge about other cultures in the world.

Still, when you call a Sports Tournament 'The World series' and your the only country that takes part, it kinda speaks for itself.

Tea and Crumpets??? its 2005!! We don't eat that as a nation anymore, and haven't done for a good 20 years or more.

Do us a favour citizens of America, please ignore the stereo type of the British characters in your U.S sitcoms. They are rubbish!

[edit on 16-5-2005 by 7th_Chakra]

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp
Umm wow, thats a nice, "Thanks for supporting us in the war and all but we're going to have to screw you over." to americas "greatest" ally.

gee youre hypocrites, those EU sanctions you put on us dwarf the amount this "could" take away from you.

posted on May, 16 2005 @ 04:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by namehere
gee youre hypocrites, those EU sanctions you put on us dwarf the amount this "could" take away from you.

Yeah hypocrites , thats why out of most of the world WE stand by you on almost EVERY decsion, fight and die by your side.....also the EU sanctions...do you think the UK WANTED to put the sanctions on?
Tell me does your "greatest" ally deserve to be billed $20 million a year?

new topics

top topics

join