It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Explosive situation in Yellowstone

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 03:36 PM
link   
DR, it is there. If you look closely though, the feed at the lake is delayed, in respect to the others.

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 03:40 PM
link   
OK, this is strange. I reported that the lake meter was out on 8/30. But now there's data going back to 8/28??

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 03:44 PM
link   
There it is, I missed it. Thanks!

I would point out that since it was apparently non-operational on the 30th, but it now has data to the 28th, this looks a lot like data spoofing that we have seen before from HAARP. I dont think I quite trust that data though, too likely to be manufactured.

posted on Sep, 3 2003 @ 04:06 PM
link   
nevermind..

[Edited on 9-9-2003 by kukla]

posted on Sep, 4 2003 @ 02:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Greyhaven
To put all this in perspective, how big was the pool of magma under Mt.St. Hellens? and how deep?

Sorry if I'm repeating anything that has already been said; I've only read this far and not thoroughly. But to compare a caldera erupting with a cone is to grossly ubderestimate the caldera. I live right smack in the middle of an active caldera (no, I don't know why, either) - and a cone is an eruption you need to stand back from - a caldera eruption is one you want to run as far away as you can from! The are the most deadly and the most HUGE of all types of volcanic eruptions. A cone is like a pimple bursting on a teen's face; a caldera is like a whole body exploding in a bomb. Take that fer perspective!!

posted on Sep, 4 2003 @ 02:29 AM
link   
Heh. My bad. Shoulda read on. dragonrider is the man who knows his stuff!

Just as an aside, a few years back we had experts saying that the Lake Taupo caldera (which is pretty huge, and smack dab in the middle of the north island) would blow in about 50 years. Mt. Doom is at the edge of that caldera.

posted on Sep, 4 2003 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Don't think this link has been posted, but here ya go: story.news.yahoo.com.../ap/20030904/ap_on_sc/geyser_guessing

posted on Sep, 5 2003 @ 03:38 AM
link   
I find the cryptic saying of " The Next Big One " a little scary. Yea, a lot of people might see the next "Big One".

But, oh! Wait, Yellowstone isn't volcanic, how silly of me!

posted on Sep, 6 2003 @ 02:46 AM
link   
Norris is showing some healthy motion in the last 24 hours.

www.seis.utah.edu...

www.seis.utah.edu...

Everyone should take a look at the Yahoo article in Kracken's post.

Here's the August 2003 Yellowstone Seismicity Summary from the observatory.

During the month of August 2003, 101 earthquakes were
located in the Yellowstone region. The largest shock to
occur during this report period was a magnitude 4.3
earthquake on August 21st at 07:46 UTC, located about
23.3 miles south southeast of West Thumb, Wyoming and 9
miles southeast of the south entrance to Yellowstone
National Park.

posted on Sep, 6 2003 @ 03:06 AM
link   
[Edited on 9/9/2003 by SamaraMorgueAnn]

posted on Sep, 6 2003 @ 03:24 AM
link   
[Edited on 9/9/2003 by SamaraMorgueAnn]

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 01:04 AM
link   
Wow!! Norris went nuts today!!

www.seis.utah.edu...

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 08:13 AM
link   
Yesterday the Palmer Station trace was down right frightening. And now this Norris trace is absolutely weird. It seems something strange was happening globally.

Kukla, have you heard any new news on the situation around there?

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 08:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by lunachick
Heh. My bad. Shoulda read on. dragonrider is the man who knows his stuff!

Just as an aside, a few years back we had experts saying that the Lake Taupo caldera (which is pretty huge, and smack dab in the middle of the north island) would blow in about 50 years. Mt. Doom is at the edge of that caldera.

...bit of a side issue here LunaChick...but I grew up right next to that Lake Taupo caldera...

'Trout Fishing Capital of the World'...go the Tongariro River

posted on Sep, 7 2003 @ 11:34 AM
link   
I did see the palmer station and that is just plain wacko. sorry no news Val. I would wander over to the HAARP/Blackout thread and check the article that was posted just a bit ago.

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 01:57 PM
link   
Take this how you will as it comes from Rense...

If more steam vents appear, that means a continuous pathway for pressure release has been established to the magma chamber. If that happens, the pressure in the magma chamber will continue to drop until it reaches a critical stage when the superheated water within the magma explodes. When that happens the super-volcano will blow violently, blowing out a chunk of its cap-rock and sending millions of cubic feet of ash into the atmosphere in a Pompeii-like explosion, but 100,000 times worse.

www.rense.com...
Just came across it and it's related but I have no idea how credible the author is.

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fry2
Take this how you will as it comes from Rense...

If more steam vents appear, that means a continuous pathway for pressure release has been established to the magma chamber. If that happens, the pressure in the magma chamber will continue to drop until it reaches a critical stage when the superheated water within the magma explodes. When that happens the super-volcano will blow violently, blowing out a chunk of its cap-rock and sending millions of cubic feet of ash into the atmosphere in a Pompeii-like explosion, but 100,000 times worse.

www.rense.com...
Just came across it and it's related but I have no idea how credible the author is.

I do not personally know this geologist in question, but the statement above is geologically valid.

Basically, in a caldera situation such as Yellowstone, the magma is held in a semi-liquid state, with a high % of dissolved gasses, under high pressure. As the pressure begins to vent, the gasses come out of solution (forming the vents that are so frightening on the surface). Also, as pressure drops, the rock will begin to crystallize, IE, turning solid.

On the surface of this, it would seem to be stabilizing (as mentioned in the article) as it would form a cap of apparently solid rock to confine the magma.

What happens however, is that you begin a decreasing pressure gradient when this happens: all the magma directly beneath the new forming solid magma, also with gasses under high pressure, experiences a loss of pressure above. As it happens, the gasses want to come out of solution. This increases pressure directly below the cap, which essentially increases to the point that it blows the cap out of the ground (and keep in mind, this cap can be miles in diameter and up to hundreds of feet thick). Once the cap is gone, the magma is now totally unconstrained, the gas is released, which forms microscopic magma bubbles, which solidify and shatter on contact with the atmoshpere, forming what everyone knows as volcanic dust (which is actually microscopic glass shards.... imagine what they do to your lungs when you breath a few lungfulls... and in an eruption, you will be breathing a lot of them).

So yes, this information is 100% valid from a geologic standpoint.

NOT GOOD.

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 03:18 PM
link   
So, this would be a good time to be purchasing farmland east of the Mississippi river I assume?

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I am new to the board but I feel compelled to ask a ? ... I can believe a small change in Yellowstone is no problem as it is a very dynamic environment. It seems extraordinary to me to assume that a 100' bulge under a large lake is "not unusual activity" and that it is just "steam". I may not be a geologist, but I have to think that there is something very hot and very large underneath the "steam". Would someone please tell me that I am wrong!?

posted on Sep, 8 2003 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by lurkinginthecorner
I am new to the board but I feel compelled to ask a ? ... I can believe a small change in Yellowstone is no problem as it is a very dynamic environment. It seems extraordinary to me to assume that a 100' bulge under a large lake is "not unusual activity" and that it is just "steam". I may not be a geologist, but I have to think that there is something very hot and very large underneath the "steam". Would someone please tell me that I am wrong!?

There's a caldera under Yellowstone.
It's like a volcano, only hugely bigger.
If it blows, most of the western half of the country is toast.
Geological surveys have shown a growing "bulge" in the Yellowstone area, and recently ground and water temperatures in some areas have exceeded 200 degrees F.

It's "unusual activity," make no mistake.
Welcome to ATS, on that note.

-B.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join