It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

international tourists are deterred from visiting the US because of a tarnished image overseas

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 10 2005 @ 11:43 PM
link   
I don't know if this good or bad, but it is certainly a glimpse of international sentiment. It takes somebdy loosing money to get the word out about it as always, but apparently American International Tourism is starting to feel the effects of our new international standing....

news.ft.com...
The US is losing billions of dollars as international tourists are deterred from visiting the US because of a tarnished image overseas and more bureaucratic visa policies, travel industry leaders have warned.

“It's an economic imperative to address these problems,” said Roger Dow, chief executive of the Travel Industry Association of America, tourism's main trade body, which concluded its annual convention this weekend in New York.

Mr Dow stressed that tourism contributed to a positive perception of the US, which spread across to business. “If we don't address these issues in tourism, the long-term impact for American brands Coca-Cola, General Motors, McDonald's could be very damaging,” he said.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 07:35 AM
link   
This year I wanted to spent my vacation in Florida. I planned to stay there for a month. But since you have this Patriotic Act I and II, I definetely don't want to receive (by some kind of mistake or if I protested at something) “enemy combatant” terrorist designation. I'm very sad about this because I was there 7 years ago (liked it a lot) and I was really looking forward for some relaxation.

I guess I'll take my 5000$ elswhere.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   
Good, foreigners can stay out.

Straighten up your countries, your morals, and your religions.

We already have enough illegal immigrants. There is not much to see here in the United States, go somewhere else.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 08:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Obfuscate

Ok. I'll remember that when I make plans for my next vacation. You obviously don't want me or others like me there.

I may just spend it here in Australia. That is once we "Straighten up our country, our morals, and our religions (wtf?)".

I doubt you've even left your state.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Pakistan is the new destination that is very popular spot for tourists, they welcome u there very well.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 09:52 AM
link   
This is silly, the article doesn't even support what you're saying. Tourism professionals are saying that tourism isn't rising as fast as they think it should, but it's not contracting. If you look at U.S. tourism to France on the other hand, it's fallen sharply.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 10:57 AM
link   

We already have enough illegal immigrants. There is not much to see here in the United States, go somewhere else.

Maybe American's should all be kept in aswell? it would save us all the bother of a lot of arguments that happen here.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by cmdrpaddy

Maybe American's should all be kept in aswell? it would save us all the bother of a lot of arguments that happen here.

yes, that is so... You already have your hands full with the English... Oh yes... Then there is the little Irish vs Catholic thing.

Remove the mote from thine own eye ... et cetera... et cetera ... et cetera.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by sigung86
yes, that is so... You already have your hands full with the English... Oh yes... Then there is the little Irish vs Catholic thing.

If I'm not wrong, correct me if I am, your talking complete and utter drivel.
Catholic vs irish?
I thought it was catholic vs protestant aka irish vs NI.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by devilwasp

If I'm not wrong, correct me if I am, your talking complete and utter drivel.
Catholic vs irish?
I thought it was catholic vs protestant aka irish vs NI.

Well Brutha... I guess it depends, in the greater scheme of things, on if you happen to be Catholic or Protestant and living by birth in Ireland.

Sorry... My bad, but c'mon drivel???? Seems to me that you knew what I meant.

Ireland vs Northern Ireland (NI? Give Northern Ireland its due)... So it would seem that you are speaking in terms of a "Civil War"? Really happening, even as we speak? Didn't I just see an ad on BBC (America) about vacationing in the Emerald Isles, "Family Pubs, friendly people, neat music".... "Makes everyone realize there's a little Irish in all of us"???

Hmmm... OK... Guess I'll stay home. And let the "Irish vs the Protestants" carry on.

[edit on 11-5-2005 by sigung86]

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 12:10 PM
link   
The only place I would want to visit outside of the United States is Egypt. I think the pyramids are cool.

Other then that there is not much to see that I cant see in the United States.

I dont know if Egypt is friendly anymore. So just shut down tourism all together.

[edit on 11-5-2005 by Obfuscate]

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Well Brutha... I guess it depends, in the greater scheme of things, on if you happen to be Catholic or Protestant and living by birth in Ireland.

Sorry... My bad, but c'mon drivel???? Seems to me that you knew what I meant.

Ireland vs Northern Ireland (NI? Give Northern Ireland its due)... So it would seem that you are speaking in terms of a "Civil War"? Really happening, even as we speak? Didn't I just see an ad on BBC (America) about vacationing in the Emerald Isles, "Family Pubs, friendly people, neat music".... "Makes everyone realize there's a little Irish in all of us"???

Hmmm... OK... Guess I'll stay home. And let the "Irish vs the Protestants" carry on.

[edit on 11-5-2005 by sigung86]

No it isnt really happening, it happened.
I dont know the specifics but they did have a civil war....I found that quite shocking.
The fighting has really died down, the irish vs northern irish is really being done or was done by the IRA and the UVF and thier many subunits or break aways.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   
GOOD! Keep you people out, wait, we all came here from a different country....(Even the Indians, they came here by the Bering(sp?) land bridge from Asia)

Man, come to Ohio, Sandusky Ohio. We have the Greatest Park In The World 7 years straight(they do some vote thing, and we won 7 years straight). We have the greatest safety record, EVER!(NO DEATHS! Unlike Disney who feels unloved if they don't kill someone every couple years) We have the Most Roller Coasters, the Most Dif. Types, and The Tallest, Fastest, Steepest IN THE WORLD!(until a new one is built) And if it is hot out go to to Water Park or ride on one of the water rides. Got cheap hotel rates, unlike Florida, no Hurricanes gonna sneak up on you, we speak english unlike Florida, and well, it cheaper then Disney.

Edit: Whats up with the clean your country up? WHat's wrong with France? Japan(I want to go here sooooo bad!) or Canada? They don't support slavery enough for you? They don't go out and kill people for oil? They don't want Janet Jackson's head on a plate for showing a boob? What's so wrong with them? They are far more mature then any republican.

[edit on 11-5-2005 by James the Lesser]

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 04:55 PM
link   
James,

It is my fondest hope that you weren't referring to me. I don't have a political axe to grind anywhere. I tend to be a composite... I generally vote the person, not the party.

I simply get tired of US bashing. We have lots of faults, no doubt. We never tried to say we are perfect. We are slavish in someways, uneducated in others, proud of our independent spirit and for the most part, most willing to help out in a problem. We laugh, love, and live, just like everyone else everywhere else.

Just kind of tired of having glittering generalities thrown at us and everyone indicating that they think we are the ultimate evil. Not so!

I simply thought to throw back at someone and see how they liked it... Apparently, not much.

Frankly, anyone who is ballsy enough to post some of the opinions that are posted on this forum, and then defend them is really welcome in my neck of the woods. Love to buy you a drink! It doesn't matter what your politics, place of origin, creed, religion, sex, etc. etc. etc.

posted on May, 11 2005 @ 05:07 PM
link   
No, not you, the guy going on about foreingers evil, the third post in this topic. Anyways, that's all. Now this isn't one sentance.

new topics

top topics

join