It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: Bodies of 12 Torture Victims Unearthed at Baghdad Garbage Dump

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 11:55 AM
link   
Scavengers made a grisly discovery at a garbage dump in Kasra Waatash, on the northeastern edge of Baghdad this morning. A total of 14 bodies were unearthed from shallow graves by authorities. Two of the victims appear to have been buried at an earlier time, but a dozen of the bodies were more recent and bear signs of torture.

www.nyt imes.com
In more evidence of the rebel offensive, the bodies of 12 men bearing clear signs of torture were found early this morning at the site of a garbage dump in a poor area of northeast Baghdad.

A police captain who spoke on the condition that he not be identified said the bodies, which he estimated to be of men in their mid-20's, were discovered after a local resident heard shooting at about 4 a.m. local time and called the police.

The bodies in Baghdad were dug up about an hour after the police arrived and they carried no signs of identification, the captain said. He said that it seemed as if the men had been held for a week or more. The signs of torture included fractured legs and arms and ropes around the neck, he said. Some had also been shot in the head.

The bodies of two other men were also found at the site after the police began digging, but the captain said they had been buried at an earlier time and were unrelated to the torture victims.

A local resident, Ali Mutashar, 28, said, "Usually we find bodies lying in the streets, around two to three bodies a day, but we haven't found such a number before buried like that."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This is one more example of the terror and brutality under which the Iraqi people have lived for far too long now.

We could not allow Saddam to continue to commit atrocities against these people, when it was in our power to rescue them from his brutality. We can not abandon them now to these monsters among them who would continue to attempt to oppress them through terror.

This is a global epidemic, though. The "Coalition of the Willing" does not have the resources to defeat all of the violent and brutal oppressive regimes in the world. We need help, y’all! Where’s the U.N.?

Related News Links:
story.news.yahoo.com
www.guardian.co.uk

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NEWS: Mass Grave Gives Up Its Secrets
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Who are you to draw the conclusion that these people were killed and tortured by "the monsters among them"?

For all you and anyone else knows, santa came from the north pole and did it. There is not a single reference or clue to who did this or why, yet you draw conclusions saying its has to be those monsters in Iraq.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Good story and no bias in the intro as it should be.

Obvious some people are not aware that the author is allowed to be biased in the comments section as it should be.

Votes yes

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 12:33 PM
link   
thematrix, i think this quote by the author "We can not abandon them now to these monsters among them who would continue to attempt to oppress them through terror", could mean the insurgency.

Sanc'.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Who are you to draw the conclusion that these people were killed and tortured by "the monsters among them"?

For all you and anyone else knows, santa came from the north pole and did it. There is not a single reference or clue to who did this or why, yet you draw conclusions saying its has to be those monsters in Iraq.

So let me get this right you are taking the side of the insurgents right?

It would appear you have not seen the videos that have shown them shooting people huh?

How about the ones where they have beheaded people I doubt you will deny seeing them also huh?

Oh and let us not forget the videos where they were showin beating children and their mothers.

The only you are kidding is yourself. Or are you saying they lied about the videos they claimed they filmed? Either way you loose, but nice try.

BTW more current news puts the figure at 14 not 12

In northern Baghdad, a resident alerted police after he saw bodies being buried. Police found the corpses of 14 men.

Some of the victims, who e blindfolded wearing civilian clothes and left in a garbage dump, had been shot in the head.

Insurgents have stepped up attacks on security forces since the government was announced, defying leaders who face the daunting task of tackling violence so that Iraq can start rebuilding its shattered economy and infrastructure.

news.yahoo.com...

Sure sounds like the work of insurrgents to me.

[edit on 5/6/2005 by shots]

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 12:55 PM
link   

sanct says
thematrix, i think this quote by the author "We can not abandon them now to these monsters among them who would continue to attempt to oppress them through terror", could mean the insurgency.

Sanc'.

There is no doubt about who did it Sanc more recent coverage shows they were blindfolded and shot in the head leaving no doubt who did it.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 01:24 PM
link   

[I]From Shots:[/I]
BTW more current news puts the figure at 14 not 12

Shots, check it out man…the intro says:

A total of 14 bodies were unearthed from shallow graves by authorities. Two of the victims appear to have been buried at an earlier time, but a dozen of the bodies were more recent and bear signs of torture.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 01:36 PM
link   
Ah that explains the differance. I guess I was concentrating on the title figure and missed the explaination. Sorry.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix

Who am I? I am one who read of this atrocity and saw the work of monsters among these people.

Whatever name they may use, whatever banner they may fly, the people who did this thing were monsters, in my opinion.

...minor formatting edit...

[edit on 6/5/05 by Roadscholar]

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Monster Mash

Originally posted by Roadscholar
Whatever name they may use, whatever banner they may fly, the people who did this thing were monsters, in my opinion.

Who are you to draw the conclusion that those who tortured and killed these victims are “monsters”?

Maybe it was an accident.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 02:14 PM
link   
our current regime is one that is known to use torture as one of their interigation methods. who is to say that the monsters among them, arent infact, us? what better way to turn the people against the insurgency than make it appear they are no better than us. 200-250 years ago, these people would have been patriots opposing an occupation, an unjustified one at that. now, because they oppose the great USA, they are terrorists. rant,rant,rant. people are too quick to judge. if some foreign country invaded the us on the pretense of lies, i feel that i myself would be one of these monsters.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic
Maybe it was an accident.

Oops! I accidentally held twelve young men captive and tortured them for a week, before shooting them in the head and leaving them at the local dump.

Sorry, it won't happen again!

....Fraid Not....

My theory is that these young men were either being "recruited" or punished. Perhaps this was even some sort of retaliation against their entire community.

It is certainly part of the larger ongoing campaign of terrorist violence which has rocked Iraq this week, the majority of victims being Iraqi citizens.

>>>

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 03:17 PM
link   
"Humiliation and sleep deprivation come nowhere close to matching the brutality that has been displayed time and time again by the insurget (terrorist) groups.

How can you call what has been done by us torture in the face of all that we have seen of true torture from the radical insurgent groups?"

yes, we, the great saviors of the middle east have decided to detain people who we only suspect are involved(thought crime anyone?) if someone handcuffed me to prison bars and proceeded to beat me, attack me with dogs, deprive me of food and countless other acts that defile me, my religion and way of life..i would consider that torture. cutting someones head off is murder, simple as that. how many of these video's show that these people had been mistreated in anyway? none. accounts from released hostages say that they were treated as humans, fed properly, even alowed to bathe..can we claim we offer the same as we rape the muslim boys( www.jihadunspun.com.../home.php&) and women just to lure out a false confession?

"Kidnappings and mass graves are not our style. We tend to make alot of noise when we kill people."

I would have to agree with you there. This country is damn proud when we kill people.

"They are terrorists because they are attacking defenseless people , their own people, even!!!

The tactics employed by the insurgent forces are designed to strike fear into the common people, kill their courage, deny them the liberty of peace of mind. "

Defenseless people, hmm. So you are telling me that put in the same situation, you would not gladly defend your way of life and religion to take out a countryman who decided he wanted to help the invading forces? please, youre only fooling yourself now. Our whole invasion started out as a way to kill these peoples courage, lest youve forgotten SHOCK AND AWE!!.

"You would strap a bomb to your back and blow up your own countrymen if you felt they weren't resisting enough?"

YES!! This country was founded upon "terrorism"(boston tea party,as one example), upon the fact that we are free people,free to think for ourselves, and anyone who is not willing to defend that way of life, does not deserve life.

"You would kidnap people and film your buddies cutting their throats while they lay trussed up like hogs?"

Why not? If I was at a disadvantage due to technological issues, I would surely turn to propaganda and negotiations to get my voice across. The only reason these people die is because to this administration, they are nothing but cattle, there do to their work and worth little more. We could have easily saved these people with a little tact.

"Would you really commit atrocities against defenseless people if your nation was invaded? Think about that for a moment...."

"If you're not with us, you are against us." Sounds familiar. As I stated before, anyone who is not willing to die for their freedom, their way of life, does not deserve it.

I do not agree with many of the points that are brought up in the forums, but I would gladly die for your right to express them.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Hopefully an investigation will determine whether the bullet wounds are from M-16's/M-4's or AK-47's. That may shed some light on who the perpetrators really were.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 03:34 PM
link   

how many of these video's show that these people had been mistreated in anyway?

I don't suppose you would consider beheading to be mistreatment, then?

As to your further accounts of our mistreatment of prisoners, I must agree that it was horrendous what those people have endured at our hands. Fortunately, we in the United States have such a wide diversity of people that we tend to end up actually being pretty good and policing ourselves.

The prisoner abuse scandal has recieved sufficient attention to affect changes to the way that our prisoners are being treated. Many of the guilty have already been convicted in a fair court, and the investigation continues.

So you are telling me that put in the same situation, you would not gladly defend your way of life and religion to take out a countryman who decided he wanted to help the invading forces?

What I am telling you is that I believe that if put into this situation I would not blow up innocents in the streets, nor take hostages, nor execute a helpless prisoner. I do not believe that I would support anyone who was doing those things, either.

By telling us all that you would gladly commit such atrocity, you reveal a very twisted nature devoid of any sense of honor or decency.

I feel soiled by this very conversation.

Thank you for answering my questions so honestly, though.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 03:44 PM
link   
beheading is murder, its the same as strapping someone to a chair and injecting them with chemicals to end their life, something we as a country have no problems doing. I dont agree with the innocent dying, Ive in no way condoned that. Simply stating that anyone who would turn on their own people, even if the intentions are sincere, deserve what they get. As for the innocent civilians, the people walking the street trying to go about their lives...you can only sit on the fence so long before someone shoots you off. This is a war, innocents do die. as for the people of this country, surely their are many good people, but the impressions that are put out are that we are a sex crazed country lacking any real moral fibre. Sit down and watch tv for a minute, take a look at the things that you see and really think about. From birth to death, we preach a mantra of self pleasure, power, sex and money. I do not believe these are the views of the majority, but thats beyond the point, this is how we are seen. As for being twisted, sure I'll give you that, but I stand by the fact that i would do what it takes to ensure my very survival, and the survival of my family. Sorry if I disgust you. Thank you for hearing me out.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 04:01 PM
link   
Wait. I can’t in, all fairness, send you off in the “twisted” boat without rightfully claiming my own little seat on the cruise ship.

Your determination to protect your own is not what disgusts me.

Honestly, it’s this whole bloody mess in Iraq that disgusts me, and I really wish we weren’t there at all!

We are there, though. We have made certain commitments, and we cannot abandon them in honor.

Since we have removed Saddam, the forces of chaos and destruction are set loose in Iraq. These 12 (14) young men who were unearthed today are but a small example of victims of this bloodshed. Many more of their people have died since in numerous car-bombings and suicide attacks. Too many to report here.

We must have the courage and loyalty to see this through to the end. These are not freedom fighters we are up against here. This enemy is fighting to prevent freedom and we must not let them be victorious!

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Honestly, it’s this whole bloody mess in Iraq that disgusts me, and I really wish we weren’t there at all!

Sums up my opinion on the Iraq situation very nicel;y....the media blitz surrounding the war has been such that there is a different reason for fighting the war every week....and the current administration has been just as consistent.....

Also, Roadscholar, ,I am of the mind that a condition of war is not so much the physical conflict as it is the

1) Experimentation by our military in new tactics that the public is unaware of

and/or

2) The propaganda value it has for the psychological mindset of the domestic population. Afterall, if such an enormous event is enacted as a perpetuation and defense of our way of life, those 'being defended' will be a bit more amiable in going through their everyday motions.....among other subtle nuances like an ever-present fear.

So I tend to question the dilution of our media with torture reports when none existed before.....at least that implicated our own country. Though I most definitely support the incarceration of the individuals responsible for said tortures, I just have a nagging feeling that it isn't as simple as it is presented.

Originally posted by RoadScholar
We must have the courage and loyalty to see this through to the end. These are not freedom fighters we are up against here. This enemy is fighting to prevent freedom and we must not let them be victorious!

The insurgents are decidely not freedom fighters....agreed....and I don't think they have a goose eggs chance in a badminton match at victory.......

[edit on 6-5-2005 by MemoryShock]

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 07:40 PM
link   
I Also Do Stand-Up Routines At Funerals

Oops! I accidentally held twelve young men captive and tortured them for a week, before shooting them in the head and leaving them at the local dump.

Sorry. Sometimes I have a rather inappropriate sense of humor.

This is a nasty business, and of course, “monster” is hardly an overstated term for those who torture and murder their fellow human beings.

posted on May, 6 2005 @ 08:37 PM
link   
Thank you.

You have given me a great deal to consider here, and I will consider what you have said very carefully, perhaps I will even understand if I concentrate really hard!

I am from a military family, though. I have a little cousin who is fighting in Iraq right now. There is a psychological need to perserve certain illusions.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join