It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Americas first Arab-American Museum unveiled today

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 01:35 PM
link   

Zipdot
You have no business questioning what Arab Americans have contributed to American society and how this relates to an Arab American museum.

Oh I don't? Being that I'm American, I'm entitled with every right to question what significance has the Arab community had in America. I'm not denying their contributions, not in the least. I just have no idea and have heard virtually nothing as to how the Arab-American community contributed to American history besides violent and malicious attempts on American soil.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 01:38 PM
link   
You and I are both in agreement that you have a lot to learn about Arab Americans. It's good that we can agree with such civility.

Zip

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Simulacra, (a) go visit that museum before we resume this discussion (b) you make it sound like the actual Arab American community is busy attacking the US soil. This aint true.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Aelita
I'm currently in Europe so I can't visit the museum. But on another note, I'm not assuming that every arab is attacking America. However I still stand by the case that nearly every terrorist in the last 10 years is Arab.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Simulacra

(a) I don't understand what the museum has to do with terrorism
(b) Apart from a singular 9/11 event, I don't see any daily terrorist activity here in the US, by Arabs or otherwise. Sure there is some, I don't dispute that.
(c) By your logic, all Colombians living in the US are rotten, because guess what, all the cockaine imported in the US comes from that country. Oh wait, most Extasy comes from Germany. Should we expell or otherwise stigmatise everyone of German descent?

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Damn, I just typed out three long paragraphs of Arabic contributions to the world and lost it all when my corporate network screwed around on me.

*Sigh*.

Anyways, they originated the first civilization, invented the modern numerical system and the number zero, they were pioneers in navigation, astronomy, mathematics (they invented algebra), languages, medicine, architecture, geography, horticulture, engineering, optics, and so much more.

Sorry, I'm not going to type out the list again, but I can assure you that we have much to learn about these intellectual and proud folk and their roles in history and contributions to America.

Zip

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 01:57 PM
link   

(a) I don't understand what the museum has to do with terrorism
(b) Apart from a singular 9/11 event, I don't see any daily terrorist activity here in the US, by Arabs or otherwise. Sure there is some, I don't dispute that.
(c) By your logic, all Colombians living in the US are rotten, because guess what, all the cockaine imported in the US comes from that country. Oh wait, most Extasy comes from Germany. Should we expell or otherwise stigmatise everyone of German descent?

A. Forgive my ignorance but the only notable contributions by Arabs has been 9/11 which forever changed American society for the worst. Now we have color coded bars denoting to us when the next Arab Terrorist attack will most likely happen amongst a myriad of other oxymornic systems.

B. But just exactly what else have you heard besides these terrorist attacks? I only have to go on what is presented to me, and that is a strong like with arabs and terrorism. To deny that would be deny any and all evidence resulting from the last 25 years of middle eastern activity.

C.No because Columbians as well as Germans made stellar contributions to American society.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Zipdot

These achievements still have absolutely nothing to do with the Arab-American community and it's benefit to America. There are several African-American museums in America because it goes without question that a multitude of African-Americans made worthy contributions to our society. It's important to note that these museums discuss the achievements of African-Americans, not Africans.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 02:09 PM
link   
The Arab-American communities in America have contributed very much to the history of America.

Here are some prominent Arab American political figures:

from 100 Questions and Answers about Arab Americans
They have included U.S. Senate Majority Leader George Mitchell, D-Maine; Energy Secretary Spencer Abraham; former secretary of Health and Human Services Donna Shalala; former New Hampshire governor and White House chief of staff John Sununu, and 2000 presidential candidate Ralph Nader.

www.freep.com...

It's hard to find centralized information about the history of specifically Arab American contributions to America, as you are demanding, and I'm sure that's what this museum is for, but some google searches will help you get started if you're really interested, which you seem to be.

Zip

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 02:10 PM
link   
You mean, Germans gave us the Hessians which fought against the budding US of A? And who are the great Colombians to which we should all be grateful for time to come?

Sure Von Braun gave us the rocket design. Not like he had much choice, hehe.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   
I will not stand for the denouncement of German Americans or Colombian Americans or their contributions and advancements either.

It does not escape me that the word "stellar" might sound like an overestimation in describing Colombian contributions to America, but I'm sure that there are some significant contributions from our Colombian brothers that aren't as celebrated as they should be.

Zip

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
To Simulacra

Please check the name of the Chief of the US Army Central Command. That's right, Abizaid and he's as Arab as they come.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   
Aelita
Ok it's understood that Arab-Americans hold positions in the government. However what other contributions to America that specfically affected the development of the nation besides holding positions on large panels and boards?

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 02:25 PM
link   
HAHAHA! I knew it. Simulcra is the author of this thread.
Way to keep your thread going.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jamuhn
HAHAHA! I knew it. Simulcra is the author of this thread.
Way to keep your thread going.

Exactly. I'm the most unbiased person, I can argue for or against anything, even if I authored the thread

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra
Aelita
Ok it's understood that Arab-Americans hold positions in the government. However what other contributions to America that specfically affected the development of the nation besides holding positions on large panels and boards?

What contributions did the Mexican Americans have? Germans? Swedes?
Or, please educate me about your "stellar" Colombian friends.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 02:33 PM
link   
Please remember the differences between different cultures.

A few simple rules will suffice.

1) Not all Arabs are terrorists.
2) Not all terrorists are Arabs.
3) Not all Arabs are Muslims.
4) Not all Muslims are Arabs.

Those four items are simple, indisputable facts. I think keeping them in mind might help all of us to be on the same page in a conversation like this.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Simulacra
Exactly. I'm the most unbiased person, I can argue for or against anything, even if I authored the thread

troll1 (trōl)

v., trolled, troll·ing, trolls.

v.tr.

To fish for by trailing a baited line from behind a slowly moving boat.

Posting derogatory messages about sensitive subjects on newsgroups and chat rooms to bait users into responding.

from WikiPedia.org --
An Internet troll is either a person who sends messages on the Internet hoping to entice other users into angry or fruitless responses, or a message sent with such content.

Zip

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   
How do you consider federal politicians as "helping" America (bunch of greedy powermongers)?
"Inventing" zero?

To solve the problem...put the dern museum in your own country. Let's see how long it takes for someone burn it down. Someone said it very well earlier in the thread. I don't think this would be an appropriate point in time to open such a museum.

posted on May, 5 2005 @ 07:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by BadMojo
How do you consider federal politicians as "helping" America (bunch of greedy powermongers)?
"Inventing" zero?

To solve the problem...put the dern museum in your own country. Let's see how long it takes for someone burn it down. Someone said it very well earlier in the thread. I don't think this would be an appropriate point in time to open such a museum.

Erm, Arab-Americans country is AMERICA.
They have lived in the US as long as any other culture has.(except for the indian cultures)

What makes you think as a(my guess) white Euro-American your any better or have contributed anything more then the Arab-Americans?

The only native people to America are Indians, the current american society is composed of people from nations all around the world, of all skincolors and all professions.

Nothing more then being born in america, calling yourself american and calling america your home makes someone an american. There is no american race, there is no american culture apart from the mixture of worldwide cultures comming together in the US.

Your no more american then anyone else, no matter what skincolor they have, what religion they have or what origins they have.

Heck, you might want to check your family tree, could be your only a 5th or 6th generation american, while those people opening the arab-american museum might have been in the US from even before the founding fathers created the US of A.

Your all being dumbass ignorant and blind racists badmouthing a part of american culture, because some people from their original homelands have done bad deeds over the last few years.

For all you know, you share a common ancester with Hitler, Stalin, McVeign or whatever, does that make you as evil as them?

We all originate from Afrika at some point in time too, so if someone can go back far enough and finds you have a common ancestor with an agressor there, should we all be held responsible for the murders and mayhem going on there too?

Get your heads out of your rears people. Your no more american then any other culture in the US.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join