It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can anyone whoop the US?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 04:40 PM
link   
This thread has no basis on any articles or whatever, I'm just looking for different opinions on this hypothetical. On this site, I see a lot of posts that give me the impression that some think we here in the US are invincible.

The question is, can any other country defeat us in a war? If not, could we win if a bunch of other countries decided to jump us? If not even that, can the US take out the rest of the world?

As you can see, the questions are on a gradient; this is because the opinions are also on a gradient. There are people who think the US is a paper tiger who can't take anyone, and there are people who think the US can stomp any and everybody all at once if we wanted to.

If this topic has been raised, oh well, I didn't know. Like I said, I want peep's opinions on this.

Keep in mind; this is a hypothetical, so don't get all worked up folks.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 04:43 PM
link   
I don't think it's a good thread idea, as it will end in a lot of animosity among the ATS'ers who elect to post here.

Some will say "nuke them all" and some will say "no we shan't", some Europeans will say "it's a crazy thought anyway".

Just hoping things will be cool but no, it's not a good topic.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 04:45 PM
link   
I seem to remember the NVA and VC putting an *SS whooping on us. And they didnt have half the equipment we had. They had different tactics and didnt fight the way we deemed "acceptable". Other than that, if it's on US soil, no nation has a chance against us unless they use nukes.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 04:46 PM
link   
Why not?

There's threads about China vs. Taiwan, Iran vs. the US, etc. And, like I said, I'm just looking for opinions here; it ain't like this is going to happen in real life.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cylent773
I seem to remember the NVA and VC putting an *SS whooping on us. And they didnt have half the equipment we had. They had different tactics and didnt fight the way we deemed "acceptable". Other than that, if it's on US soil, no nation has a chance against us unless they use nukes.

You have a point about the losses we had, Cylent. You also have a point about whether or not it's on our soil. Sure, countries have lost battles on their own turf, but there is the old home team advantage. I'm pretty sure it applies to war...in a way, anyway.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 04:51 PM
link   
If a war comes to the US from a foriegn country, first off, we would definately see them comming. Heard of satelites? Or maybe the numerous subs in the Atlantic and Pacific would pick up on the massive troop transports comming. I can see a way, it would take ALOT of soldiers, and invasions on multiple fronts, "i.e. west coast both north and south, from canada, from mexico, and the north and south of the eastern seaboard". If and i mean IF, they had enough soldiers that could actually get across the oceans it probably could happen.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 05:03 PM
link   
i think in a war that is fought on the "battle field" then any country would have a serious difficulty trying to attack the US, with there weapons and technology and budget they are sure to win! On another hand depending on the tactics that the other country or countries use and the place of the fight i think it still would be a difficult battle, very long to say the least but i think in the end the US will win in the long run....

This is of course a theory of no nuclear weapons being used

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 05:29 PM
link   

NVA? You mean Viet Cong, which did not put an arse whooping on us. We lost 50 thousand in Vietnam - the Viet Cong lost over a million. Didn't fight acceptable? They were tactically efficient. They attacked at night with tires for shoes.

China fighting conventionally would take us apart. Their army outnumbers us 20:1. Simple logistics. Ever hear of Custer?

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   
Sorry bro, but here are the facts:

1) In 1968 - 1969, the U.S. military was capable of crushing the NVA and the VC, because they were steadily gaining ground and knew they could win. They weren't allowed to push into North Vietnam (though they had the capability too) because of politicians back home.

The politicians cost us the war. Not the military.

Second reason:

58,000 death isn't exactly "whooping". We have hundreds of thousands of soldiers at our dispense. If you want to talk about "Whooping" I'd say Nazi Germany "whooped" 3 million or so of our soldiers. We just happened to "whoop" them more

-wD

:EDIT: A conventional war against China would be BLOODY, however, a CONVENTIONAL war is never going to be fought.

It would stack up something like this:

U.S. and Allies against China and allies. War rages for a while, as soon as one side begins to fall and starts to lose, the nukes come in. Simple as that.

Another reason the U.S. and China won't fight is because we make money off of eachother. Labor for goods, Labor for goods. Simple as that.

-wD

[edit on 3-5-2005 by WeBDeviL]

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I thought half a million american soldiers died fight the nazis...

something like 29 million nazi germans died.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 05:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by vincere7

NVA? You mean Viet Cong, which did not put an arse whooping on us. We lost 50 thousand in Vietnam - the Viet Cong lost over a million. Didn't fight acceptable? They were tactically efficient. They attacked at night with tires for shoes.

China fighting conventionally would take us apart. Their army outnumbers us 20:1. Simple logistics. Ever hear of Custer?

normal troop transporting techniques would make them get bombed out of the ocean or sky unless they transport they troops with teleportation or across the border somehow hmmm its easy in my simple mind instead of sending a tanker full of oil to mexico fill it up with troops and send it down to mexico and take the country over like they can resist. anyways or bring one soldier at a time legaly with passports and transport weapons in another way.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Something like 650,000 U.S. deaths, 2,450,000 casualties altogether. Something in that range.

And I believe 22 million Nazi soldiers died, but that number could be off a few.

-wD

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 06:03 PM
link   
I belive Americans thinking they are invincible will inevitably come to the destruction of the nation
Hitler, one of the one men who truley thought he was invincible...He reigned for a while with power and authority, but in the end, he fell....As long with the soviet nation....

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 06:09 PM
link   
It would be completely dim-witted for another country to even conceive the contemplation of touching America, and by America I mean South and North. Even if a country decided to fabricate an invasion force our Agents would have picked up the news far before any troop steps foot on their transport ships or w/e. And if a country were to attack America with out motive Citizens would overwhelmingly go to the nearest recruit station to defend their freedom. Now if America decided to go Hitler on the world, we better have one damn leader to convince the people to fight beforehand. I suppose that America is capable of utterly destroying South America and our Canadian “brothers” in the north, but anything other then that….no, that’s with out nuclear intervention. We can though rule the seas and destroy every bloody navy in the world with out a doubt. Our Air Boys are superior to any other country in the world and would gain air superiority in no time.

Then again we can be just be nuked to hell and that would be the end of that

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 06:27 PM
link   
I don't believe any Country could beat the USA in a conventional war, you have to much firepower. The only way to wage war on the US is by stealth , not letting you know who your enemy is . This could be done by setting off nukes in your cities releasing toxins into your water supply , probably an attack on your use of computers by hackers. If you don't know who your enemy is you cant fight back. Hope it doesn't happen , just my thoughts , long live America.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Long live America! but i think the invincibility belife is going to lead to the downfall of our country regaurdless....The point is (and you stated this) that stealth can be a powerful thing..And even if ALL other options were nutralized....There is still stealth regaurdless, and it is possible for us to fall...Therefore we arnt truley invincible!

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 06:41 PM
link   
russia can nuke the us several times over, it can sink your carrier battle groups like nothing, the only nation with an airforce that can stand out with the us, the only nations with a real functional ABM and air defence umbrella, so yeah id bet russia could do some serious dammage

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by white_angel0789
Long live America! but i think the invincibility belife is going to lead to the downfall of our country regaurdless....The point is (and you stated this) that stealth can be a powerful thing..And even if ALL other options were nutralized....There is still stealth regaurdless, and it is possible for us to fall...Therefore we arnt truley invincible!

we are not, after all, all great nations/empires what ever you can call them rise and falls. US might fall but it will become something else.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 06:43 PM
link   
I would say it depends on our economy, military, president and our generals at the moment of time. Nothings invincible, and the US is far from it. Of course the country is the ranking one of the world, however many small nations can put a large dent in its power and reputation. I personally would rather see some sort of superpower in Europe. Maybe the EU, or NATO, their getting there.

posted on May, 3 2005 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by evanfitz
I would say it depends on our economy, military, president and our generals at the moment of time. Nothings invincible, and the US is far from it. Of course the country is the ranking one of the world, however many small nations can put a large dent in its power and reputation. I personally would rather see some sort of superpower in Europe. Maybe the EU, or NATO, their getting there.

Don't think that can happen in Europe, there wont be any European Army in the forceable future,we cant agree on the shape of Bananas here.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join