It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fisherman Killed After Whale Lands on Boat

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2002 @ 11:57 PM
link   
www.cnn.com...

MORRO BAY, California (Reuters) --A California fisherman was killed after a large whale unexpectedly breached over his boat, smashing into the deck and hurling him into the water, a Coast Guard official said on Tuesday.

Chief Michael Saindon of the Morro Bay Coast Guard Station said the body of Jerry Tibbs, A 51-year-old restaurant owner from Bakersfield, California, was recovered Monday, more than 12 hours after the accident.

"I've had countless calls where boats hit whales, but this is the first time I've ever had a whale breach and hit a boat," Saindon said. "They were just two big things in the wrong place at the wrong time."

Tibbs, the owner of Mr. Tibb's Ribbs in Bakersfield, and several companions were on a tuna fishing trip several miles offshore Sunday when the whale breached with a spectacular leap out of the water right over their boat, a 22-foot motor vessel named the "BBQ."

Saindon said the survivors reported that the whale crash landed onto the boat deck, damaging the pilot house and throwing Tibbs into the water.

There were no other reported injuries.

"The superstructure crushed and there was damage to the rails and the transom was damaged. The whale came up out of the water, landed on the superstructure, and slid back off into the water," Saindon said. "We found a lot of whale skin on the boat."

The Coast Guard, aided by the Morro Bay Harbor Patrol and aircraft from the California Highway Patrol, mounted an extensive search in the area but was hampered by heavy fog. After about 17 hours, Tibbs' body was finally located and brought back to Port San Luis, Saindon said.

Saindon said the survivors were not able to identify the type of whale, which they described as "very large." Gray whales and humpback whales are often sighted off the central California coast.

"Both gray whales and humpback whales are known to breach quite frequently," said Steven Webster, senior marine biologist at the Monterey Bay Aquarium in Monterey, California.

"You can't talk to a whale, so we don't know why they do it. It's thought that in some instances, they are just having fun, while breaching. Crashing and tail snapping is sometimes one male either trying to impress a nearby female, or telling the other males to clear off."

posted on Sep, 4 2002 @ 12:08 AM
link   
I bet when he got up this morning it never occured to him he would be crushed by a whale.Of all the things you plan for to go wrong in your day,thay is not one of them.

posted on Sep, 4 2002 @ 04:45 PM
link   
Its really strange. Probably the whale didnt know the boat was there, but can you imagine it was angry that the boat was stealing all the fish?!?

posted on Sep, 4 2002 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Whale olympic sports: boat jumping..

Damn that Free Willy movie.. showing a whale jump over a wall..see the example it sets for other whales???

posted on Sep, 5 2002 @ 07:08 PM
link   
BWAAHAHHAHAHAHAH!!!!!!!!Wipes a tear
omfg, i just imagine the guy saying, I GOT ONE I GOT ONE! *BOOM!*
BWAHAHAHHA

posted on Sep, 6 2002 @ 10:41 AM
link   
Got to wonder what his last thoughts were?

posted on Sep, 6 2002 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyeff
Got to wonder what his last thoughts were?

The fisherman or the male-whale ?

posted on Sep, 6 2002 @ 12:36 PM
link   
maybe it was HOLY #E

posted on Sep, 6 2002 @ 02:51 PM
link   
The fisherman. I mean could you imagine a whale jumping on you?

Oh no this is going to hurt.

posted on Sep, 6 2002 @ 02:54 PM
link   
I imagine his last thought was AAAAGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

posted on Sep, 6 2002 @ 03:32 PM
link   
LOL, HIS LAST SOUND WAS "SPLAT,SQUISH"

posted on Sep, 6 2002 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by William One Sac
I imagine his last thought was AAAAGGGHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Not at all.
It was something like : " Oups, I think it's gonna hurt.Where did I put my aspirin ? "

posted on Sep, 6 2002 @ 05:07 PM
link   
the fishermans last thaughts...

"not to self: Live in a desert"

posted on Sep, 6 2002 @ 11:32 PM
link   
Come on people, this is no laughing matter. This is a horrible and sad story. What a horrendous accident this was. A perfect boat gone to waste..

posted on Sep, 8 2002 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Being psychic(laugh here) I have contacted this man. His last thoughts were.

F*CKING-A, that whale is heading righ......

[Edited on 8-9-2002 by SetiPsychic]

posted on Oct, 17 2002 @ 09:37 PM
link   
You know you may be right. There have been quite a few incidents of Orcas actually attacking their trainers as well as just regular folks being rammed when in the whale's territory. And if it was breeding season, he most definitely could have seen the boat as a threat in several ways.
But......
it's that same kind of funny as watching someone just walking along and falling down!!! But this is even funnier!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I LOVE THIS MESSAGE BOARD!!!!!

posted on Oct, 18 2002 @ 10:13 AM
link   
natures revenge haha... they were here first...

posted on Oct, 18 2002 @ 10:19 PM
link   
"wait Till my Buddies hear Tha..."

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   
and these environmentalist wackos wanna save the whales.... whales are fer eating not fer saving!

posted on Apr, 6 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   
Anyone got or seen the article about the cow that was pushed off a cargo plane that was flying to Russia? It broke free and rampaged around the plane so they had to push it out the back to protect everyone else.

Anyway it went through the middle of a fishing boat in the med. The story came to light when the fisherman tried to make a claim for it at the insurance.....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join