It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS:Minuteman Project draws to close in Ariz.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Nearly 900 volunteers came together in Arizona this month to help secure our border with Mexico. This has resulted in the arrest of more than 300 individuals who were attempting to enter the United States illegally. There were no reports of any violence being committed by volunteers, despite fears voiced by the ACLU regarding the nature of the project.

hosted.ap.org
NACO, Ariz. (AP) -- Volunteers recruited over the Internet to monitor illegal immigrant activity along a stretch of Arizona's border ended their monthlong campaign this weekend as they began - peering through binoculars along a dusty border road.

Members of the Minuteman Project hailed the program as a success, and organizers said they plan to expand the mission to the other states bordering Mexico, and parts of the Canadian border.

But Jim Gilchrist, founder of the program, said the group's efforts brought nationwide attention to the problem of illegal immigration. He warned, however, that unless the work continues, "it's going to be viewed as just a monthlong dog and pony show."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

In a world where people were capable of recognizing truth, this would put to rest the cries of vigilantism which have been leveled unfairly against these volunteers. They have selflessly served a cause that benefits all Americans, and have done so without use of violence. We should all feel proud to take a shift at the border.

There was no need for Mexican troops to be placed on the border. If their citizens weren’t trying to commit a crime in the first place, we wouldn’t need volunteers out there in Arizona. The minutemen were not out to create havoc or destruction, but simply to protect our border and to help uphold the laws of our nation.

The actions of these volunteers should remind all of us in the U.S. of the courage and spirit that is our American heritage. I salute them.

Related News Links:
www.kold.com
www.azcentral.com
worldnetdaily.com
theyellowline.blogspot.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
The Minuteman project seeks volunteers
The Minutemen: an idea long overdue
NEWS: 500 more Agents on the way to AZ Border
politics.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 1/5/05 by Roadscholar]

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Good story, I had intended to post it this morning myself.

You did however leave out a couple of details.

No arrests were made as some had feared. There was the one exception that was where the Mexican lied to authorities about being held against his will and that individual was released when authorities viewed the video that showed the illegal immigrant had lied. For those naysayers that want to bring up the other individual who was arrested, he was not a member of the minutemen
Just want to make that very clear.

The next point is who was setting off the alarms. That as it turned out was not the Minutemen as suspected it was the members of the ACLU who were there to watch the Minutemen. (this was an attempt to cause problem for the minutemen which also failed) Lastly the only illegal things that happned during the whole month were done by members of the ACLU, such as smoking pot while watching the minutmen.

Oh I almost forgot none of the minutemen pulled any of their guns as feared, they did exactly what they said they were going to do, nothing more.

Way to go Minutemen, a job well done

edit to add forgot to add proof about the ACLU

ACLU "legal observers" allegedly smoking marijuana while observing Minuteman volunteers (Photo: South East Arizona Republican Club) Volunteers with the Minuteman Project in Arizona say "legal observers" sent by the ACLU to monitor the citizen border patrol have been seen smoking marijuana in violation of the law.

when I found the pictures above I also found this comment

As WND reported, ACLU activists shadowing the Minuteman Project at the U.S.-Mexican border are actively aiding and abetting aliens attempting to enter the country illegally, according to a spokesman for the volunteer civilian force.

www.libertypost.org...

Now isn't that nice proof positive, all the ACLU wanted to do was aid the illegals and cause problems for the minutemen

[edit on 5/1/2005 by shots]

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 09:11 AM
link   
indeed..my hat is off to the minuteman project. It proves that americans can and will abide by the laws of our land even when others are not! Now of to Texas , California, New Mexico and beyond minutemen....yeeeahhh! Good Job! oh and btw I am glad to see that the Governator chimed in with a little support too!

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Additonal tidbit of info I found on the aclu

The ACLU is getting desperate to get something on the Minutemen and are trying to provoke incidents now. They pushed one of the Minutemen the other night trying to get him to push back. Didn’t work. Then last night they walked up and shined a spotlight right in a Minuteman’s face from six inches or so away. Didn’t work that time either. We immediately report these types of contacts with them to the Sheriff to counter any claims they try to make against us. They should be called the UCLU (Un-American Civil Lawsuit Union)

They give us the middle finger every chance they get to try to get us to react. We are still trying to figure out if that is their age or IQ.

searclub.com...

Posted to show more proof against the ACLU

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I swear, sometimes I think that the ACLU is trying to undermine everything that has made our nation great.

In this particular case they have sent unruly potheads out to the desert to try to hinder the efforts of volunteers who are simply trying to assist law enforcement officials with the defense of our border.

How can an organization called the American Civil Liberties Union possibly justify hindering the efforts of these American citizens in favor of assisting foreign invaders to illegally cross our border?

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 10:26 AM
link   

How can an organization called the American Civil Liberties Union possibly justify hindering the efforts of these American citizens in favor of assisting foreign invaders to illegally cross our border?

They just want everyone to think they are for our liberties and freedom when in reality they are out to ruin this country. The organization was founded by a communist in case you did not know.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by shots
The organization was founded by a communist in case you did not know.

Oh? No, I didn't know that, actually! I haven't studied this organization very deeply.

This may bear further research, however. Thanks for bringing that to my attention, Shots

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 10:40 AM
link   

Minuteman Project border volunteer and daylight crew supervisor Ed Whitbred from Maryland films over the U.S. Mexico border along Border Road, Saturday, April 30, 2005, near Naco, Ariz. Volunteers recruited over the Internet to monitor illegal immigrant activity along a stretch of Arizona's border ended their monthlong efforts Saturday as they began peering through binoculars along the road. (AP Photo/John Miller)

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Wait a sec? did it say there going to patrol parts of the Canadian border why? for mexicans illegally crossing into Canada??or Canadians Illegally crossing into the U.S which I dont even think happens...They would just cross legally.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I believe that our concerns about the Canadian border have more to do with the possibility of terrorists gaining entrance to the U.S. through Canada.

See: Canadian border a back door for terrorists?
for more information.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by shotswhen I found the pictures above I also found this comment

As WND reported, ACLU activists shadowing the Minuteman Project at the U.S.-Mexican border are actively aiding and abetting aliens attempting to enter the country illegally, according to a spokesman for the volunteer civilian force.

www.libertypost.org...

Now isn't that nice proof positive, all the ACLU wanted to do was aid the illegals and cause problems for the minutemen

To answer your question, no. WND is hardly credible, much less "proof positive".

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I have always been a supporter of the ACLU.

They have just lost a LOT of points with me.

The aiding and abetting of criminal immigration?

Shame on you ACLU.

Kudos to the Minutemen, American citizens doing the job this country needs done. I am saddened to see them ending the project.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 02:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by curme

www.libertypost.org...

To answer your question, no. WND is hardly credible, much less "proof positive".

Did you check the source they quoted

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Kudos to the Minutemen!

Shame on ACLU!

From hence forth, the American Civil Liberties Union shall be known as the American CriminaL Union.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Roadscholar

Originally posted by shots
The organization was founded by a communist in case you did not know.

Oh? No, I didn't know that, actually! I haven't studied this organization very deeply.

This may bear further research, however. Thanks for bringing that to my attention, Shots

Check this one out: www.freerepublic.com...

Roger Baldwin was a known Communist who founded the ACLU with the pretense of protecting American civil liberties in a vast, covert deception only the Soviets' KGB dreamed of.

The ACLU also defends the NAMBLA and every anti-American organization working hard to undermine what the United States of America is all about.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 03:38 PM
link   
So Rush Limbaugh is Anti-American? His defense team is the ACLU, after he cried and begged them to defend him. So Mr. Right Wing Radio is Anti-American?

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   
James
Yes. But we knew that already, didn't we? That porcine pundit is well known for his hypocrisy.

And in general: The ACLU stands for good things. Their mission statement is not in any way detrimental to this country. Members of the ACLU, like any organization, are people in their own right, and subject to the same temptations and flaws as everyone else.

Those who denounce the ACLU for the actions of two potheads, or for the actions of any other individual, had better be prepared to look in their own organization's closet. There have been republican child molesters, murderers, and rapists. There have been Christian killers and liars and child predators.

Don't open that door unless you're absolutely confident in your own organization's righteousness.

My advice anyway.

Edit: And people, didn't it piss you off when people were calling all the minutemen hillbilly racists, just because a few of them were? Learn the freakin' lesson, stop banging your head on the same attic nail.

[edit on 1-5-2005 by WyrdeOne]

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 04:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by the_oleneo
Check this one out: www.freerepublic.com...

Hey, thanks for this link! This site has some good info. which provides a much deeper insight into the origins and agenda of this organization. It is now firmly bookmarked!

Originally posted by WyrdeOne
Those who denounce the ACLU for the actions of two potheads, or for the actions of any other individual, had better be prepared to look in their own organization's closet.

Judge not lest you be judged, eh? Fair enough.

It is a bit disturbing to see an organization which could do so much to protect our libertly working so hard to destroy it, though.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 04:33 PM
link   
I dont have a problem with the ACLU overlooking them. It shows that the MM were doing JUST WHAT THEY SAID.

No conflict of interest. If you want someone to watch the dog hire the cat.

posted on May, 1 2005 @ 05:01 PM
link   
RoadScholar
Agreed, they do appear to be making a very poor decision in this instance, but they're sticking to their guns, and practicing what they preach, in terms of freedom and justice for all. Gotta respect 'em for that, if nothing else.

It would be one thing if they defended all the bastards in the world, and when it was their head on the block made an exception, but they have always toed the line they themselves drew in the sand.

Anyway, I think their organization is pretty dim-witted sometimes, often actually. But..all I ask of my fellow men is to never betray themselves. They haven't yet. Their members on the other hand...

That article was funny too, it mentions how the ACLU was flashing flashlights and tooting sirens to "warn the immigrants and their 'coyotes' away." This is, of course, the same exact behavior the minutemen were told to engage in, except when they did it, it was considered "making their presence known" or something to that effect.
People crack me up sometimes, it's like they're physically incapable of applying their own advice.

Do you think that's just human nature? I suspect it is...

I do the same thing...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join