It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Florida 13 Year Old Girl Argues for Right to Abortion

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
This is not about morality and what is right or not, this about the dangers of a child becoming pregnant when her body is no mature enough to support the demands of a growing fetus, this will put the child mother in danger and more often the fetus will not survive.

 The death rate from pregnancy complications is a lot higher for girls who are pregnant under the age of 15 than among older teenagers
 Pregnant teenagers are more likely to be undernourished and suffer premature or prolonged labor
 During the first 3 months of pregnancy; seven out of ten teenage girls do not get prenatal care, see a doctor, or go to a clinic
 Teenage mothers are at risk of getting anemia, high blood pressure, placental problems, and pregnancy induced hypertension
 Teenage girls with STI's or HIV can pass complications on to her baby when it is born
 Teenage girls may also develop many emotional problems such as depression, shame, guilt, and stress
 Teenage mothers have the risk of problems such as poor weight gain, premature labor, and other complications. *The younger the mother, the greater the chance to have complications for both the baby and the mother.
www.smith.edu...

If the babies manage to reach full term more often they are low weight births and the child will not survived, due to born with organs not fully developed they usually die within their first month of life or develop mental retardation because their organs can not regulate the demands of their bodies.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Okay, it seems to me that her "making her own decisions" is what got her into the predicament that she is currently in. I didn't read your whole post and the link to the article is no longer active, but my take on this whole issue is kind of complex.

Look, in my personal opinion, I don't think the state or federal government should be telling this girl what to do. However, this girl asking whether she can make her own choices or not is almost laughable to me. Obviously the girl hasn't had enough training or did enough living to make a prudent decision.

Now, with that being said, here is my take on abortion. I think it's wrong under most circumstances. In cases of rape or if giving birth risks the life of the mother, I can see it. But, to have an abotion just because you don't want a baby... Nope.. I think it's wrong.

If you don't want kids, don't participate in the act that leads to it.It's really just that simple.

I have to wonder how many geniuses have been aborted simply because the mother decided she wasn't ready or didn't want a kid.

[edit on 2-2-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 03:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by JoshGator54
Was there a choice? YES, the choice to have sex.

Is the fetus a human yet? No one can know for sure, but as a civilized people you must error on the side of caution!

What we are talking about here is an inconvinece of a 13 year old girl for nine months followed by a 6 to 24 hours of pain. Would I wish this on anybody no. But she did make a choice.

An inconvenience? A 13 year old having a baby is only an inconvenience? How on earth is a baby having a baby only an inconvenience? Are we forgetting that this girl is still a child and is not capable of raising a child?

13 year olds are not capable of choosing to have sex. They might think they are, but they either have no clue what any of the risks are or they aren't mature enough to care. Not to mention the fact that, as was stated previously, sex with a 13 year old is rape. But hey, who cares about the fact that this child is potentially going to be forced to carry a baby that she doesn't want and grow up 7 years too early. So long as that little cluster of cells is ok.
Because as we all know, 13 year olds aren't allowed to ever make mistakes since they are adults.

Does anyone realize that if she's forced to carry the baby to term, and both she and the baby somehow live through it, the baby will be a ward of the state? It's not going to just go home from the hospital with some nice, loving couple. It will most likely go home with the girl to where-ever the wards of the state call home, where it will not get the care and attention it needs. And that's if the baby or the girl don't die in labor, which is highly probable.

People get up in arms over abortion saying that there's a nice couple out there that will adopt the baby but I have a question for you. Knowing that there are thousands of babies in this world that are unloved, hungry, and sick that are waiting to be adopted, does it make sense to keep adding to that number when there aren't enough people wanting to adopt the ones that have already been born? How many of these babies have you all adopted so that their mothers wouldn't have an abortion? How much do you really help these babies after making sure that they aren't aborted? Do you go to the orphanages and play with them? Do you buy them all clothes and food? Do you make sure that they aren't living in some rat-infested dump because their parent really couldn't afford to take care of a baby, but since she wasn't allowed to have an abortion she has to try to feed it when she can't even feed herself?

Yes, that last question is a bit of an exaggeration, but the point still stands. Everyone cares so much about making sure women can't choose to have an abortion if one is necessary, they all want to make sure that tiny cluster of cells that hasn't even formed functioning organs yet stays alive. But no one cares about what happens to that baby after it's mother is forced to keep it.

This girl actually has the common sense to know that she is incapable of caring for a baby, who are we to tell her that she's wrong and should have the baby anyway?

[edit on 2-2-2007 by Jenna]

posted on Feb, 3 2007 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Sex isn't always (or even often) as it's portrayed in movies and tv.

I think we can confidently believe that the 'sex' this little girl participated in was not through lust on her part, but primarily a need for affection.

Too few men appreciate that women often participate in sex in order merely to please someone who has made them feel better about themselves.

This girl apparently lived in a children's shelter, where her basic needs such as food and clothing were provided. But did she feel loved, valued, secure? Most probably not.

So she left and stepped out into the world, not once, but six times, reportedly.

*IF* her primary needs were being met within the shelter, she would not have left. She would not.

We only leave situations in which we're unhappy.

Out there, the girl met someone who had something she needed. It might have been a kind smile or a warm laugh or an arm around her shoulder which made her, for a moment, feel special.

So she gave what she had. And someone took what was offered.

From that liason, a child was conceived.

Obviously, the man who impregnated this girl did not stick around. He doesn't want the child or its mother.

Maybe the male who impregnated the girl was only a boy himself.

What they shared was physical intimacy: warmth, affection, smiles, physical contact, approval.

They had a right to that. It's what most of us seek.

In a just world, the girl would not have become pregnant.

Almost certainly, she did not intend to.

In a normal home or relationship, girls of 13 receive hugs, kisses, encouragement, compliments, support PLUS the necessities of life.

This girl didn't receive those things where she lived. But she still needed them.

Millions of women, worldwide, and a lot of them much older than this 13 year old girl, have ended up pregnant when all they REALLY wanted was physical warmth, affection and approval from someone.

To call this girl a 'slut' is harsh and uncalled for.

Seeking affection when you've rarely experienced it, does not make someone a slut.

When a man seeks affection and it drifts into a brief sexual interlude, he's not called a 'slut' --- he's called 'lonely'.

This girl sounds as if she's intelligent and she certainly has spirit.

She should not be written off as a slut or failure because at 13, unintentionally, she became pregnant.

With her independent spirit and wisdom (yes, wisdom) there's every chance this girl, if given even a modicum of opportunity, will do well for herself. I hope she does.

She isn't playing the victim card. She isn't seeking to become a welfare mother. She knows having a baby at her age and with her non-existent resources, will be a tragedy for herself and the child. And she has what it takes to stand up to people four times her age, to try to make them see sense.

I think she's well equipped to make this decision and I hope she's permitted to do so. The interference by others is traumatising.

She has a strong character and good mind. She's one of the lucky ones.
I personally wish her all the best in the future and I don't think she will regret making this decision.

The lesson to be learned by the rest of us is to make sure we give our children all the love they need, so that they won't seek it from someone else or from those who'll take advantage of their neediness.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 11:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Royal76
Every rational person with full faculties should have the right to do what ever they want with their bodies.

God is the one who gave us free will. Quit trying over rule him.

True but we don't have the right to take a innocent life. Abortion is murder. Plain and simple. But thats your choice. If I did that I could never live with myself knowing I was responsible for taking a innocent life. If you don't want to live with the pain and guilt of killing your own child then don't do it.

posted on May, 17 2007 @ 11:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jenna
How many of these babies have you all adopted so that their mothers wouldn't have an abortion? How much do you really help these babies after making sure that they aren't aborted? Do you go to the orphanages and play with them? Do you buy them all clothes and food?
[edit on 2-2-2007 by Jenna]

I totally agree with you on that Jenna. All of those people who want to stop women from having abortions should be forced to take care of these unwanted children.

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 03:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by annestacey

I totally agree with you on that Jenna. All of those people who want to stop women from having abortions should be forced to take care of these unwanted children.

No, the women that have these children should think about the consequences of having a child before they engage in that,ahem, little activity that leads to childbirth. Really, if you don't want kids, don't put yourself in a position to have them. That goes for guys as well, because God knows there are plenty of guys that leave females high and dry after a child comes into the picture.

posted on May, 18 2007 @ 04:00 PM
link   
She has the right to abortion. USA was *not* founded on Christianity, check your constitution for more info.

[edit on 18-5-2007 by 64738]

posted on May, 19 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by SpeakerofTruth

No, the women that have these children should think about the consequences of having a child before they engage in that,ahem, little activity that leads to childbirth. Really, if you don't want kids, don't put yourself in a position to have them. That goes for guys as well, because God knows there are plenty of guys that leave females high and dry after a child comes into the picture.

I agree with your statement even more. But how do you stop people from procreating without thinking about the consequences of their actions?

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 09:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dock6
enter key enter key enter key...

This isn't a chat room. That was very obnoxious and hard to read.

Originally posted by Royal76
Every rational person with full faculties should have the right to do what ever they want with their bodies.

God is the one who gave us free will. Quit trying over rule him.

Now that's true. But the thing is... the fetus, is it a body that is not your own? There's no easy way to answer.

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   

I agree with your statement even more. But how do you stop people from procreating without thinking about the consequences of their actions?

I don't really know what you are asking.
I am saying that people should think about the consequences of having a "little fun" before they do it. I don't think that most people do.

They have their "fun," and then when the consequences of it comes home to roost, they don't want to take responsibility. Instead they are like, "What, I am pregnant? I can't have a child.I don't want one."

Why didn''t they think about that before they engaged in the action that lead to them becoming pregnant? Like so many other things in this world, it all comes back to personal responsibility and self control.

As far as some people saying that this thirteen girl wasn't old enough to have sex out of lust, or whatever, please. Females are sexually active at very young ages now.

[edit on 20-5-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on May, 20 2007 @ 09:27 PM
link   

I am saying that people should think about the consequences of having a "little fun" before they do it. I don't think that most people do.

They have their "fun," and then when the consequences of it comes home to roost, they don't want to take responsibility. Instead they are like, "What, I am pregnant? I can't have a child.I don't want one."

Why didn''t they think about that before they engaged in the action that lead to them becoming pregnant? Like so many other things in this world, it all comes back to personal responsibility and self control.

[edit on 20-5-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

yes that was what I was saying. People do not stop and think about the fact that they could get pregnant. They just simply "have fun" and don't think about it. How do you change people's behavior? I don't think it's possible to change their behavior.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 08:00 AM
link   

I'm quite sure a 13 year old girl doesn't think beyond just having fun.. so why aren't you jumping up and down about her rapist being more accountable?

You seem more concerned about about girls/women being punnished for engaging in sexual intercourse rather than saving the life of the fetus. Who are you to police the behaviour of girls/women?

Why didn''t they think about that before they engaged in the action that lead to them becoming pregnant?

Are we talking about 13 years od girls saying 'no' to grown men?

Like so many other things in this world, it all comes back to personal responsibility and self control.

er. 13 year old girl..

As far as some people saying that this thirteen girl wasn't old enough to have sex out of lust, or whatever, please. Females are sexually active at very young ages now.

Old enough to bleed eh? :shk:
Men have been raping girls forever now. Don't shift the blame onto victims when the rape stats are so high.

[disclaimer. course I don't mean all men..]

[edit on 21-5-2007 by riley]

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 06:10 PM
link   

They just simply "have fun" and don't think about it. How do you change people's behavior? I don't think it's possible to change their behavior.

You can't change anyone's behavior, UNFORTUNATELY. Really all you can do is hope that they learn a little self-control and quit trying to get abortions because they "don't want to have a child," or trying to pawn the responsibility of the child off on society.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   
If this girl was a ward of the state and in a shelter, why weren't they watching her better? She's a kid, they do stupid stuff -- it's called puberty, they can't help it. The shelter let her down. Are they going to be held culpable for their part in this tragedy?

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by riley

I'm quite sure a 13 year old girl doesn't think beyond just having fun.. so why aren't you jumping up and down about her rapist being more accountable?

I am glad you are "quite sure" of it because I am not.

What rapist? The article mentioned nothing about the girl being raped.

You seem more concerned about about girls/women being punnished for engaging in sexual intercourse rather than saving the life of the fetus. Who are you to police the behaviour of girls/women?

No, I just want people, males and females, to take responsibility for their actions. I don't think there is a person alive today that doesn't know the results of sexual activity. If you are going to engage in such activity, then you should be prepared to shoulder the load that comes with it.

As far as the case of this little girl is concerned, where did you get the idea that she was raped? It didn't state that in the article.

[edit on 21-5-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 06:34 PM
link   

What rapist? The article mentioned nothing about the girl being raped.

The law is that anyone who has intercourse with a child below legal age has RAPED them. Statutory rape. The child is not old enough to know what she is doing. She wanted some attention, someone gave her attention and got what he wanted into the bargain.

A child is not legally able to make decisions like these, that's why you can't enter into a valid contract with a minor. In the eyes of the law she is incapable of making such a decision.

No offense, Speaker, but you are being awfully hard on the child. She is not accountable for her actions. The shelter is for not supervising her better.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by MajorMalfunction

The law is that anyone who has intercourse with a child below legal age has RAPED them. Statutory rape. The child is not old enough to know what she is doing. She wanted some attention, someone gave her attention and got what he wanted into the bargain.

Wait a minute!! We don't even know how old the boy is that she had intercourse with. What if he's only thirteen or fourteen? Then what? You all are talking as if the person who did this was a thirty year old man or something. We don't know that.

"She didn't know what she was doing?" What? How many of you can honestly say that you didn't know what sex was or what the product of sex was when you were thirteen years old? Unless you lived a very,very,very sheltered life, I seriously doubt that anyone here can claim that.

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Look,I am sorry that this girl is pregnant. However, I just don't buy this idea that thirteen year olds don't lust after people and that they don't know what they are doing. They most certainly do. I know I knew perfectly well the consequences of sexual activity when I was thirteen years old.

Also, quit saying that the girl was raped when we don't even know if the boy who did it was any older than the girl is. We don't know. If he is 20 years old and he did it, then, by all means, level statutory rape charges against him. But what are you going to do if he is only 13 or 14 years old or younger?

posted on May, 21 2007 @ 06:55 PM
link   
I'm not going to do anything. The state hopefully will.

What is done to the boy depends on Florida state law.

I was a teenage girl at one time. So take my word for it, the idea of sex is present, but NOT understood. For a girl that young she is mistaking sex for love. She wanted love, sex was the only way for her to feel close to another human being.

This isn't about the boy or man who had sex with (or raped) her, it's about her. She is not of the age of consent to have sex. End of story. Blaming her and forcing her to carry a fetus to term is cruel and unusual punishment and I believe that is also illegal under federal law.

Let the punishment fit the crime. What crime was committed by a child not of an age to legally give consent for sexual contact? Is it fair for her to have to carry to term a fetus that may kill her, and upon birth will not have the life to which it might aspire?

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join