It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

WAR: U.S. Military Releases Photos of Soldiers' Coffins

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 10:00 PM
link   
The Pentagon, under pressure from certain groups, has released some 300 pictures of coffins of military personnel. The released pictures were taken for "historical and training purposes." The number of photos taken at Dover, AFB, and elsewhere has been reduced as these requirements have been met.

www.msnbc.msn.com
The Defense Department, under pressure from open-government advocates, released hundreds of images Thursday of flag-draped coffins of American soldiers.

The department had previously refused to release such images, which were taken by military photographers. Nor has it allowed the news media to photograph ceremonies of soldiers’ coffins arriving in the United States, saying it is enforcing a policy installed in 1991 to respect the privacy of families of dead soldiers.

The pictures were released in response to a request for all military photos of caskets containing the remains of American soldiers taken since the United States launched its attack on Afghanistan in October 2001. Some critics have contended the government is trying to hide the human cost of wars in Iraq and Afghanistan.

The Pentagon provided most of the images without context, so it was unclear where and when they were taken and whom they portrayed.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I hope this pleases those for whom this was a scandalous policy. It is doubtful that the photos will be used for any purpose except to foster anti-war rhetoric, without regard for the families whose loved ones are exploited for such. Were it not for the fact that I remember photos such as these being used for political purposes during the war in Vietnam, this issue would mean little to me. The photos can be seen at the links below.

Related News Links:
media.newsfrombabylon.com
www.thememoryhole.org
www.abc.net.au

[edit on 05/4/28 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 11:42 PM
link   

this was a scandalous policy

Maybe and maybe not.

Freely given knowledge of war death (human costs) is one of the obligations government owes to its citizens.

People need to be reminded that real people ary dying, not merely some statistics at the end of the year or during a 'state of the union' speech.

Those that wage war (the politicians) should be the ones carrying the coffins. Every elected official that voted in favor of any war should have to carry the news of death to the families.

[edit on 29-4-2005 by JoeDoaks]

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 12:02 AM
link   
Indeed.

God Bless those troops. Whether or not they agreed with the Administration, they still fought for their country. What that takes is couraging and a humbleness that many of us, (especially here) don't seem to carry.

As a former soldier, "put 'em on safe and let 'em hang boys, you're going home"

-wD

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 01:17 PM
link   
BS.

We know the costs. Anyone with a remotely postive number for an IQ knows the costs. Anyone with literacy skills over the age of three knows the costs.

Photos and visal imagery are for emotional, manipulative uses only. To bypass logic and go for the "feeling". The core tactic of all liberal propaganda-it's not what is, or what makes sense, but how you "feel" about it.

And that's what this is all about. Making people "feel" the cost is higher, where logical, real, measurable, and verifialble numbers" don't stir the "outrage" the liberals need to cause.

You'll see these pics, in multiple angles, attempting to make the numbers look greater, for emothional impact.

It beats trying to argue common sense, when you can bring up some tearful stock imagery and add a somber voice over the still pics, scrolled to look like a video camera pan.

Originally posted by JoeDoaks

this was a scandalous policy

Maybe and maybe not.

Freely given knowledge of war death (human costs) is one of the obligations government owes to its citizens.

People need to be reminded that real people ary dying, not merely some statistics at the end of the year or during a 'state of the union' speech.

Those that wage war (the politicians) should be the ones carrying the coffins. Every elected official that voted in favor of any war should have to carry the news of death to the families.

[edit on 29-4-2005 by JoeDoaks] [/q

uote]

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 01:30 PM
link   
No agenda here, I just wanted to see for myself how the military handles transportation and burials. Nice caskets. They look expensive.

Zip

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phugedaboudet
BS.

We know the costs. Anyone with a remotely postive number for an IQ knows the costs. Anyone with literacy skills over the age of three knows the costs.

Photos and visal imagery are for emotional, manipulative uses only. To bypass logic and go for the "feeling". The core tactic of all liberal propaganda-it's not what is, or what makes sense, but how you "feel" about it.

You know, this is the core tactic of the right wing propaganda as well. Not what is, or what makes sense, but how you "feel" about it.
No WMD found in Iraq? Fine, we "feel" that bringing democracy to that cursed land was worth the lives of 2,000 Americans and $300B of annual expense, even as we slash the science and education budget. Illegal immigrants crossing freely from Mexico on Bush's watch? No problema, amigo, because we "feel" that building a wall would be bad, despite what logic tells us. Due process followed in Terry Schiavo case? Now, we "feel" that legal process is BS, and not care much about the logic.

And that's what this is all about. Making people "feel" the cost is higher, where logical, real, measurable, and verifialble numbers" don't stir the "outrage" the liberals need to cause.

According to you, there shouldn't have been much coverage of the 9/11 aftermath, and a simple number, 3,000 dead, should have been reported. After all, the measurable number tell all, now doesn't it?

You'll see these pics, in multiple angles, attempting to make the numbers look greater, for emothional impact.

Great, maybe some people will stop being apathetic and resigned from what's happening to their country.

posted on Apr, 29 2005 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Yeah, what's wrong with a little old-fashioned emotional feeling? Come on, Phugedaboudet, let's you and I have a cry together. There, there, just let it all out!

We've become so fragmented that we argue in situations like this. The government doesn't want to allow photographs to be shown of soldiers' coffins, but some people say, "why the hell not, because you have a purpose to serve by denying us the pictures?" and the government says "fine, here, take 'em," and some veterans say "I hope you feel better now that you forced the government to release those photos to serve your purpose."

Either way, whether or not the photos are released, someone's agenda is going to be met.

We wouldn't even be having this conversation if the government didn't take the original stance to deny photography of the photos. That's like telling a kid, "don't touch that big red button." Kids aren't going to say, "okay, I'll never touch that red button." Some kids are going to say "why the hell can't I touch that red button? I'm touching it!"

By the government denying the photography and then releasing it, they are enlisting the support of people like Phugedaboudet to argue in their favour. Nice methods for subjugation, eh? Phugedaboudet, do you feel recruited?

Zip

top topics

join