It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Are Abu Ghraib Prison Abuses The Tip of The Iceburg? (moved from ATSNN)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 02:04 AM
link   
Reed Brody, a special council for the organization Human Rights Watch said in a recent statement that "...abuse of detainees has happened all over-from Afghanistan to Guantánamo Bay to a lot of third-country dungeons where the United States has sent prisoners. And probably quite a few other places we don't even know about." The article goes on to claim that 100 to 150 detainees were transferred by the CIA to Middle Eastern countries such as Syria and Egypt, with eyewitness accounts of repeated torture with cables and electrical cords, beatings, electric shocks, and being hung from the walls by hooks.

www.alertnet.org
New York, Reuters- The crimes at Abu Ghraib are part of a larger pattern of abuses against Muslim detainees around the world, Human Rights Watch said on the eve of the April 28 anniversary of the first pictures of U.S. soldiers brutalizing prisoners at the Iraqi jail. Human Rights Watch released a summary (below) of evidence of U.S. abuse of detainees in Iraq, Afghanistan, and Guantánamo Bay, Cuba, as well as of the programs of secret CIA detention, "extraordinary renditions," and "reverse renditions."

"Abu Ghraib was only the tip of the iceberg," said Reed Brody, special counsel for Human Rights Watch. "It's now clear that abuse of detainees has happened all over-from Afghanistan to Guantánamo Bay to a lot of third-country dungeons where the United States has sent prisoners. And probably quite a few other places we don't even know about."

Human Rights Watch called this week for the appointment of a special prosecutor to investigate the culpability of Secretary of Defense Donald Rumsfeld and ex-CIA Director George Tenet, as well as Lt. Gen. Ricardo Sanchez, formerly the top U.S. commander in Iraq, and Gen. Geoffrey Miller, the former commander of the prison camp at Guantánamo Bay, Cuba in cases of crimes against detainees. It rejected last week's report by the Army Inspector General which was said to absolve Gen. Sanchez of responsibility.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I happen to agree with Brody on the statement "If the United States is to wipe away the stain of Abu Ghraib, it needs to investigate those at the top who ordered or condoned abuse and come clean on what the president has authorized," said Brody. "Washington must repudiate, once and for all, the mistreatment of detainees in the name of the war on terror."

I know I felt pretty bad as an American when I learned what some of our troops were doing with torture. And the article also points out that even in the face of such allegations, the US continues to this day torturing detainees. While US comparisons to Nazi Germany seem excessive, I am really starting to wonder.

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
U.S. forces rape, abuse and torture female Iraqi detainees - Including a woman in her 70's!
US Soldiers Told to 'Beat the (Expletive) Out of' Detainees
politics.abovetopsecret.com...
US soldier admits they massacred innocents

[edit on 27-4-2005 by TrueAmerican]

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 02:30 AM
link   

I happen to agree with Brody on the statement "If the United States is to wipe away the stain of Abu Ghraib, it needs to investigate those at the top who ordered or condoned abuse and come clean on what the president has authorized," said Brody. "Washington must repudiate, once and for all, the mistreatment of detainees in the name of the war on terror."

The four top officers have already been cleared. It is my personal belief, based on my own experiences, that those who are being tried for crimes at Abu Ghraib did not act on explicit orders from superiors. I believe that they interpreted orders to suit their own perverse agendas. If the activities exposed at Abu Ghraib had been a matter of policy, the events would not have been limited to the graveyard shift. These acts were perpetrated by a bunch of sick, twisted, undisciplined reservists who, if justice is served, will rot in hell, not to mention Leavenworth.

[edit on 05/4/27 by GradyPhilpott]

new topics

join