It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Soundless Soundsystem

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 09:18 PM
link   
I've read about this technology now for a couple of years and still do not completely understand it. I know it is only focused hypersonic sound (above the range of human hearing) that gets changed when it strikes an object so that it can then be heard. But how tightly can the beam of sound be focused? How much power can the beam contain? What, besides normal human detectable sounds can be beamed out?

These are the kinds of questions that make me reserve judgement on this as yet. Are we gonna drive every dog & cat, etc crazy?

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 10:05 PM
link   
Here is the link to a very comprehensive technical paper that should answer most, if not all, of your questions.

www.atcsd.com...

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 01:34 AM
link   
Great tool for Karl Rove

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 03:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Here is the link to a very comprehensive technical paper that should answer most, if not all, of your questions.

www.atcsd.com...

Thanks, the white paper covered almost every question I had. There has still not been any research done on animal effects, but from what I see in the white paper these should be minimal.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Now one must ask the question - what is the way to neutralize this affect?

Is it simple? Or would one have to come up with a device to deflect / reflect / neutralize the sound beaming into one's head? Just a thought as this invention could have severe ramifications when used in a military / controlling kind of way.

- Nazgarn

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by nazgarn
Now one must ask the question - what is the way to neutralize this affect?

- Nazgarn

This isn't the kind of effect you neutralize, it is simply sound above the range of normal human hearing. Almost any kind of reflective barrier between you and the sound source would work well.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 06:26 AM
link   
It's really just a new twist on 30 year old technology. We've been using sound conducted through the body for decades, you can get cell phones with no speakers, military communications devices, etc. Now you don't have to wear the device, they just shoot the sound waves at ya.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Surely this invention doesn't actually beam sound into the brain. It's still reliant on vibrations to create sound, which I guess it does when it hits the skull of the recipient. I'm not convinced that prolonged use would not cause permanent damage.

I can't see any real pros to this invention, where would it be used to good effect?

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 07:45 AM
link   

[I can't see any real pros to this invention, where would it be used to good effect?

As someone pointed out earlier -- advertising for one, the coke machines will entice you with sound as well as sight. Another good use will be in automobile stereo systems. The kids could listen to trash and the parents wouldn't even hear it. There are a myriad of uses for something like this, but you can expect it first in advertising.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Haven't there been concerns about ultrasound exposure, even for relatively brief times for medical procedures? This would be something that people would expose themselves to, at power levels from mild to ridiculous, for hours on end, day after day.

That's assuming there's more to this than some tricky acoustics, playing with sound in a phased array like an advanced radar unit.

Problem is, the more I read about this thing, the more my "baloney detector" starts to twitch. Begins to sound more like marketing hype.

Still looks like you'll only get a monaural source from this, since the way it appears to work, it'd drop left and right channels to the same point. And if the listener turns his/her head, the placement would change, and more drastically than with a standard multi-speaker unit.

I bet this will go the way of the "bone phone" radio system of the 70's.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 05:32 PM
link   
This device will allow deaf people to hear.

posted on Apr, 25 2005 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kushi_Master

There is nothing in any publication I have read to suggest that this technology will make the deaf to hear. It uses sound waves above the range of human hearing (~40kH or >) as carrier waves to keep the sound focused. Low frequency waves are non-directional, that is why you can put a sub-woofer anywhere in a room, and high frequency waves are directional and the higher the frequency the more directional, which is why tweeters are often made dome shaped and/or some material which causes the waves to disperse are used to cover them and why speaker placement is so important to realizing the best effect from stereophonic speakers. When you step into the "beam" of sound, you hear the sound, not from the source but from the point where the sound waves strike your ear drums. Step outside that beam and you hear nothing.

www.atcsd.com...

[edit on 05/4/25 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 01:13 AM
link   
If my memory is still accurate, I recall several articles around 30-35 years ago concerning hypersonic sound, but not for entertainment purposes. The articles, as I remember, had to do with mining in Russia.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Astronomer68

[I can't see any real pros to this invention, where would it be used to good effect?

As someone pointed out earlier -- advertising for one, the coke machines will entice you with sound as well as sight. Another good use will be in automobile stereo systems. The kids could listen to trash and the parents wouldn't even hear it. There are a myriad of uses for something like this, but you can expect it first in advertising.

Yes, and how could it be used to good effect.
I really wouldn't include advertising as a good effect.

Originally posted by Kushi_Master

It's still relies on vibration, you don't hear with your brain.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Actually, you do hear with your brain, but you need your ears as transducers.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Actually, you do hear with your brain, but you need your ears as transducers.

You also move, taste, feel, see and smell with your brain, but the brain is pretty useless without the correct interface ie, muscles, tase buds, nerves, eyes and a nose.

So, as the brain cannot hear without ears, it is the ears that hear, which is what I said.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Yes, and how could it be used to good effect.
I really wouldn't include advertising as a good effect.

Many people would probably agree with your contention that advertising is not a "good effect." However, the advertisiers will be the ones paying to have the system installed in their vending machines. I won't even pretend to know where the break even point might be, but if the systems cause more product to be sold (above and beyond the cost of the system) then I suspect they will think it is a good thing and have them installed. Same goes for other types of advertising. I'm a tad bit concerned at the possibility of them using subliminal perception, but there are already laws against that.

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 01:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by flukemol
this would be a kind of mind control.i dont think to many people would like the brains being toasted by it.we already have lots of mind control stuff out there already and its only gonna get worse.......

en.wikipedia.org...
hypnopædia....or "sleep-teaching. What a convenient way to conduct 'lessons' from afar.....couple that with a few conscious shots of whatever and you can really have an effect on someone.

But the power of the unconscious to assimilate information that it intakes during sleep is a stupid thought....isn't it?

Of course, the broadest use for this technology would probably be for commercial reasons.......

[edit on 26-4-2005 by MemoryShock]

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 03:15 PM
link   
When discoveries or inventions such as this come into being, it reminds how the human process of evolution takes effect at such a slow pace.

It wasn't that long ago that we were drilling holes in our heads to labotamise or simply to relieve headaches, but now we can zap our brains with ultrasonics....ah progress....

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 05:25 PM
link   
This is indeed an interesting invention much the same as a recent patent awarded to SONY.

< from CNet News >
If you think video games are engrossing now, just wait: PlayStation maker Sony has been granted a patent for beaming sensory information directly into the brain.

The technique could one day be used to create videogames in which you can smell, taste, and touch, or to help people who are blind or deaf.

The U.S. patent, granted to Sony researcher Thomas Dawson, describes a technique for aiming ultrasonic pulses at specific areas of the brain to induce "sensory experiences" such as smells, sounds and images.

Kinda makes you wonder if we're not allready in the matrix.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join