It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Soundless Soundsystem

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Perhaps one of the greatest inventions in years with applications ranging from military to home entertainment. Heck, you can even make people think they hear voices in their head(this is where the ATS relation to this invention comes in ...)

Elwood "Woody" Norris, an inventor with 47 US Patents to his name, created a soundsystem that works with Hypersonic sounds. When pointed at an individuals head, the person will hear the soundfeed inside his/her head.

Mr Noris is also the inventor of the AirScooter, a personal transportation device.

story.news.yahoo.com
PORTLAND, Ore. - Elwood "Woody" Norris pointed a metal frequency emitter at one of perhaps 30 people who had come to see his invention. The emitter — an aluminum square — was hooked up by a wire to a CD player. Norris switched on the CD player.

"There's no speaker, but when I point this pad at you, you will hear the waterfall," said the 63-year-old Californian.

And one by one, each person in the audience did, and smiled widely.

Norris' HyperSonic Sound system has won him an award coveted by inventors — the $500,000 annual Lemelson-MIT Prize. It works by sending a focused beam of sound above the range of human hearing. When it lands on you, it seems like sound is coming from inside your head.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Apart from the example used in the article(home entertainment, no noise exept for the ones that want to hear it.) This could also be used in several other scenario's.

For example, singers and politicians, in both cases, people hate it when they use earpieces or other methods to have their words fed to them. Remember the US Election debates thing, where Bush was thought to have an earpiece in? Now they can feed these people their lines without anyone ever seeing any equipment on their person.

Hell, this could even be pritty cool when your doing exams in highschool, all you need is a line of sight and someone can tell you what to fill in on your exams.
Cheating in poker games, cheating on gameshows, this technology seems to have a billion applications, both good and bad.

Another dangerous application of this technology would be to make people bonkers or just make people think they are nuts. Feeding wierd noises and sounds into their heads, making them scizofrenic for instance.

I'd also think this can be used as a weapon, sending rays of mindnumbing sounds into people's heads, a high pitch sqeek or the constant sound of explosions, disabling them temporarely like this.

[edit on 24-4-2005 by thematrix]

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Am I the only one who thinks this is a little scary?

Certainly lends a little more credence to the Project Bluebeam theories.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Wasn't it electromagnetic frequencies that mad the entire crew of the USS Elridge go mad for the rest of their lives?

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 08:21 AM
link   
...or maybe seeing half your crewmates fused with the hull.

Either that or it's a convenient way to refute anything they reported to the media.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 10:42 AM
link   
I'm kinda wondering what long term use of this technology does to someone's head/brain.

You might end up with cooked brains and one hell of a brain tumor. If overuse of cellphones can have that kinda result, then this stuff prolly does too. And you can prolly amp the power of the beam to give lord knows what kinda results.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 11:47 AM
link   
I wondering about any long term effects of this.

It does have quite a few plus points though. Just comes off as being a bit scary.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by thematrix
I'm kinda wondering what long term use of this technology does to someone's head/brain.

You might end up with cooked brains and one hell of a brain tumor.

from what the article said, these are simply sound waves and not electromagentic waves. theoretically it can be safer than going to a rock concert since most venues have the sound system up louder than that which is healthy for your hearing. which i suppose provokes the question: what about hearing loss? and gain control?

as an audio recording and mastering engineer, i am also curious to know what is the frequency response of this device and it's "interface" with the human anatomy. i can't imagine it being able to reproduce frequencies consistently balanced in this manner, nor reliably in the low end of a music program.
daved

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 05:20 PM
link   
It scares the hell out of me, because I hate that you can't go anywhere without being bombarded with a blaring television or a booming stereo or piped in Muzak. Noise pollution is a major problem. In Japan shortly, you will hear the sound of a pouring effervescent fluid when you pass a soft drink machine.

For personal use, the technology is fascinating and exciting, from an audiophilia perspective. It's commercial uses and juvenile abuses that give me the willies.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 05:24 PM
link   
wow, i could listen to music 24/7 without bothering people at work... interesting althought i'm not a fan of tumors

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Geez, why is everyone so afraid of new technology? Sounds like the people complaining about the invention of automobile, airplanes, or cell phones. This will soon be as much a part of our lives as....well, any of the aforementioned inventions. No need for the constant focus on the negative.

I think that for the most part technology has improved the quality of life rather than diminished it. Should we stop all progress because of possible negative uses of technology? This invention sounds great to me (no pun intended). If anything it should cut down on noise pollution.

Oh, and why would this technology give you a brain tumor? It's just soundwaves so the chance of developing a brain tumor wouldn't be any greater than listening to a stereo.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 05:53 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 06:07 PM
link   

Geez, why is everyone so afraid of new technology? Sounds like the people complaining about the invention of automobile, airplanes, or cell phones.

Could be because a) cell phones don't beam the sound directly into your brain, and b) other people can't point their phone at you and fill your head with the sound of their wife b**ching on the other end.

If anything it should cut down on noise pollution.

So does an i-Pod.

The issue is not people being afraid of technology - to post here we're all using computers, running on electricity, that is possibly generated by nuclear power, are we not? The issue is the opportunity for abuse, and the possibility that the tech will be put into popular use before the dangers are fully understood. Technology is a wonderful thing...when it is applied responsibly. When it isn't, we end up with things like asbestos insulation and depleted uranium weapons.

[edit on 2005/4/24 by wecomeinpeace]

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Everything's starting to look like a weapon in the future, isn't it. You know what it means...mass advertising and spam. They need a sound blocker or something to prevent this.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 07:26 PM
link   
It's like Strong Bad said, "Do you use your powers for good, or for awesome?"

It's unfortunate that such a truly awesome invention is destined for far more nefarious uses than good ones. It is with a heavy heart that I say I hope the military takes it and refuses to release anything relating to it to anyone. Ever. For the good of us all.

Except maybe me.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by wecomeinpeace
Could be because a) cell phones don't beam the sound directly into your brain, and b) other people can't point their phone at you and fill your head with the sound of their wife b**ching on the other end.

Actually, it's not beaming anything "into your brain". It uses focused sound waves. Now that we know this technolgy exists, I'm sure countermeasures could be developed to stop people from filling people's heads with sounds against their will. Maybe wearing a tin-foil hat will help.

But anyway, you're right...anything has the possiblity for abuse. This technology does to. But it's been invented, what are you going to do about it? Destroy the inventor's notes and prototypes? Even if you did, the military would still develop a technology like it. Hell, they already have.
It's here so we've got to deal with it. Instead of immediately jumping to the negative aspects of the tech, why not think about some benefits?

I know this is a conspiracy site and all, but it still annoys me to see this happen everytime there's a ATSNN post about a fascinating new invention.

[edit on 4/24/2005 by Flinx]

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 07:51 PM
link   
in no way is this a good idea for the brain.just look at whales that get beached from subs radar.if it is a sound vibration. just ask any boxer about the damage that has occured after the brains have been hit many times with punches to the skull.its not the punches it the brains that get a constant vibration that causes the brain damage.tinfoil lol yes i think it is time to wear protective hats and clothes.i will be putting in a good standing order from nasa soon for space suits lol.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I just thought of something. Some people are worried about having ads and "spam" beamed into their heads right? Well, I'm sure there'll be laws against that. I don't think the public would tolerate that kind of crap.

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   
this would be a kind of mind control.i dont think to many people would like the brains being toasted by it.we already have lots of mind control stuff out there already and its only gonna get worse.......

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flinx
I just thought of something. Some people are worried about having ads and "spam" beamed into their heads right? Well, I'm sure there'll be laws against that. I don't think the public would tolerate that kind of crap.

We put up with knuckleheads and "boom cars," don't we. When you're in a grocery store, which is one of the places they intend to use this technology, you are at the mercy of the management. Read some of the links.

I agree. From an personal audio perspective, this is exciting. The advantages of headphones without the restrictions or hassles. These days, everything is abused.

Everyone will have to wait and see, but it looks like this technology is ready to go, so, it seems we won't have to wait long, nor will we have much to say about it.

[edit on 05/4/24 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 24 2005 @ 08:56 PM
link   
there are laws for airwaves and satellites.im sure they will have to follow very certain laws even to have such an invention.due to the fact that it may be trashed before it even gets to the public.i see more bad than good out of this invention.whats the point of this type of invention oh mind control.the last frontier of battle tatics.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join