It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NEWS: Rick Santorum Made $100,000 From Schiavo Case

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Rick Santorum, also sponsoring a Bill to dissolve public National Weather Service Information, apparently accepted $100,000 in political donations during and a few days after praying with the parents of Terri Schiavo. Terri Schiavo was starved to death according to her wishes to not live by the use of machines.

www.kyw1060.com
A political finance tracking group says Sen. Rick Santorum (R-Pa.) collected more than $100,000 from Florida donors during the first three months of 2005, while he maintained a high profile in the fight over Terri Schiavo.

Santorum (left) received the bulk of the money -- $84,300 -- on March 31st, the day the Florida woman died, according to an analysis by Political Money Line. The $84,300 was raised during campaign stops March 29th and 30th in four Florida cities, the group said.

While in Florida on March 29th, Santorum prayed outside Schiavo's hospice room with her parents, Robert and Mary Schindler. Santorum was back in Washington when Schiavo, 41, died.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Ok. I have no comments for the comment box because comments reflect opinion and opinions are considered bias votes at ATSNN.

Related News Links:
abcnews.go.com
news.yahoo.com

[edit on 22-4-2005 by Enigmatic_Messiah]

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Isn't it true that I am allowed to biased in the comments section? I was sent a NO: Bias

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 08:25 PM
link   
MY COMMENTS ARE BIASED BECAUSE COMMENTS REFLECT OPINION. Secondly, the article is not biased because it has no opinion in it, it uses analysis by Political Money Line.

What is the bias votes for?

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 08:30 PM
link   
People who vote NO: Bias, are just trying to hide a news Item they don't want others to read.... ie CENSORS! This story is not at all bias as it is simply factual. If others do not like the subject then they are invited to freely express their oppinions. That is what makes an inteligent dicussion liberating. To try and supress a story as Bias when it is factual, is the halmark of the ignorant opressor trying to mantain controle through denyal of free speach. DENY IGNORANCE, discuss freely!!!!

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   
You have voted Terapin for the Way Above Top Secret award. You have used all of your votes for this month.

Thanks,
Terapin

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 08:50 PM
link   
aww shucks it wasnt nuttin

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 09:31 PM
link   
But Santorum, just has some ethical problems with fundraising and subsequent political activity like that NWS bill.

Even a two minute google search can expose where Rick get's his ideas.

posted on Apr, 22 2005 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Santorum (left) received the bulk of the money -- $84,300 -- on March 31st, the day the Florida woman died, according to an analysis by Political Money Line. The $84,300 was raised during campaign stops March 29th and 30th in four Florida cities, the group said.

While in Florida on March 29th, Santorum prayed outside Schiavo's hospice room with her parents, Robert and Mary Schindler.

It would appear that a "culture of life" comes at significant cost. But isn't this just par for the course considering that the republicans are catering to the religious right. It costs money to the Lord's work wouldn't you know
Who can forget the days of Jerry Falwell, Oral Roberts, among other televangelists. In fact I'm still wondering how old Oral was let off the hook. What's next - vegetable of the week on Meet the Press - call in now with your donations.

Bleys

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 06:19 AM
link   
I loved what teresa hinez kerry said about rick sanatorim....that he was forrest gump with an attitude LOL also he has been repeatidly voted by congressional staff as the dumbest rep. on the hill and that is saying alot. Eliminating the national weather service is one of the stupider ideas of a moraly. spiritually and intellectually bankrupt party...I used to say there was no difference between the repugs and the demos but I was wrong....the demos at least try and kiss ya before they tell ya to bend over, with the repugs its more akin to date rape. When are people going to wake up and realize the repugs are taking em for a ride, unless you have $100 million or so in the bank and are willing to share that they simply aren't interested in you?

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Wasn't he the same guy who compared homosexuality to beasteality and pedophilia? Just wondering if I am thinking of the same guy.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Yes he did, although that's pretty much standard fare for the religious right types. I'm sure a lot of far-right pols and organization raked in money during the trumped up Schiavo crisis. On the other hand, the national furor over her case was a setback for the Dominionist types, as it ticked a lot of people off who felt it should be a family matter and not a governement decision.

Classic overreach by a right wing high as kites on triumphalism and hubris in the wake of the 2004 elections. But every opinion poll showed that most people felt the government should stay out of it, by a wide margin. Must have been a shocker for rightwingers who had convinced themselves the public was marching in lockstep behind them, with only a few disaffected hippies in NYC and Berkely opposing them.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 07:06 PM
link   
"The supremacist ideology of the Bush Administration stands in opposition to the principles of an open society, which recognize that people have different views and that nobody is in possession of the ultimate truth. The supremacist ideology postulates that just because we are stronger than others, we know better and have right on our side."-George Soros, survivor of German occupation.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   
The headline is biased. This is the headline from the original story.

"Santorum Raised $100K in Florida as Terri Schiavo Case was Fought"

People have a right to support politicians whose actions lead them to contribute. Making it sound like Santorum exploited the death of Schaivo is misleading. I often donate to causes that come to my attention through the media. The Schaivo case is not one of them, by the way.

[edit on 05/4/23 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Concerning the recent public data that Accuweather is a contributor to Rick Santorum's campaign and that Rick Santorum introduced a bill planning to dissolve the the public weather system, then the also public data that Rick Santorum raised $100,000 during the Schiavo case makes me argue that he supported the Schiavo case on a different set of goals.

Other than that, I didn't mean to make the headline bias, what type of headline wouldn't seem biased on this story?

$100,000 Contributed to Rick Santorum while helping Schiavo, is that ok?
$100,000 Given to Rick Santorum as he helped Terri Schiavo, is that biased?
$100,000 in Political Donations Accepted by Rick Santorum as helped Terri Schiavo. Is that ok?

I guess facts can be biased when we're talking about politics, I forgot.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 07:57 PM
link   
You are correct, Grady, but if I was a resident of Pensylvania, I would question who Santorem was representing, the people that elected him, or the people in Florida.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 08:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Enigmatic_Messiah
Other than that, I didn't mean to make the headline bias, what type of headline wouldn't seem biased on this story?

I almost always use the original headline, capitalizing where necessary and getting rid of awkward abbreviations. Titles cannot be copyrighted, therefore plagerism isn't an issue.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 08:06 PM
link   
There's absolutely nothing wrong this. I'd give money to the cause if I had extra to give. You tallying it up as 'Santorum Making Money' is pure bias.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 08:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
There's absolutely nothing wrong this. I'd give money to the cause if I had extra to give. You tallying it up as 'Santorum Making Money' is pure bias.

So these funds he "raised" - were they raised for the family's legal fund, were they raised to garner more attention to Terri's cause OR were they raised for Santorum's election cofers?

Would seem to the latter and in that case he was using this woman as a political cash cow.

Bleys

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Sorry, grady. Thanks for the tip.

Also, djohnsto, or is it that your bias makes you bias on anything that seems biased to republican party members?
If John Kerry had done the same thing, I'd be outraged.

posted on Apr, 23 2005 @ 08:16 PM
link   
In November 2004, a controversy erupted over education costs for the Senator's children. Santorum's legal address is in Penn Hills, Pennsylvania, a suburb of Pittsburgh, but he lives most of the year at his home in Leesburg, Virginia near Washington, DC. Santorum's five older children received education through the Western Pennsylvania Cyber Charter School with 80% of tuition costs paid by the Penn Hills School District.

At a meeting in November 2004, the Penn Hills School District announced that it did not believe Santorum met the qualifications for residency status since he and his family spend most of the year in Virginia. They demanded repayment of tuition costs totaling $100,000.

Reporters visiting the house Santorum claimed as his noted that, as a two-bedroom, it seemed small for the large Santorum family. The door was answered by a man who refused to identify himself, and neighbors said two cars were regularly parked at the house. When checking at the township government offices, they discovered the building department had never issued a certificate of occupancy and thus no one could legally live in it.

Supporters of the Senator claim that the controversy is politically motivated as the school board is controlled by Democrats and Erin Vecchio, the school board member who first publicly raised the issue, is the chair of the local Democratic Party. They also claim that since Santorum votes in Penn Hills and pays property and school taxes there, he is entitled to the same privileges as any other Penn Hills resident.

After the controversy erupted, Santorum said he would make other arrangements for his children's education, but insists he does not owe the school board any back tuition. In early 2005, both sides agreed to work out a settlement outside the court system. A state appointed hearing officer has set a deadline of May 9, 2005 for the parties to reach a settlement.

en.wikipedia.org...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join