It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Astronomy: So You See a Bright Light?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 1 2007 @ 08:23 AM
link   
i saw saturn last night through a 150mm reflector telescope, it was amazing, rings looked wonderful

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 05:21 PM
link   
Might I also suggest to those that "see a bright light", and it is moving that they record the Alt/Azi twice, at the points where the light was first seen and also where it was last seen. How long in seconds the object took to move between start and end points would also be useful, as the angular velocity of the object can then be calculated.

This information can help to identify the object and its trajectory/orbit, and in the case of meteors can even help in the location of a possible fall site and recovery of meteorite fragments.

Originally posted by The_Recondite_Philomath
Is anyone aware of a similar program with the capability of simulating the night sky in ancient times?

Yes - I use Sky Map Pro and you can easily toggle between AD and BC. The limits as far as I can see are between 4713 BC and 9999 AD.

[edit on 29-7-2007 by C.H.U.D.]

[edit on 29-7-2007 by C.H.U.D.]

posted on Jul, 29 2007 @ 05:39 PM
link   
Just to add, since editing my previous post will not let me add this info for some reason : If you do see a bright (-3 mag. or brighter) fireball/meteor, and want to report it there is a fireball report form on the International Meteor Organization's web site. More info can be found on this page about fireball reporting.

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 04:16 PM
link   
August 24th 2008
21:00 pm GMT
Anglesey North Wales 300ft approx
Alt:35 degrees approx
Azi:305 degrees approx

A very bright twinkling almost flashing silver and orange celestial body, as the sky gets darker the orange appears more red. As far as i can tell it is a star as it follows a course through the sky like the others, and its been there for a while i'm just perplexed by the two-tone twinkling.

i've tried using the software as suggested but as a complete beginner i couldn't follow it.

I've been watching this for about 3 days now each evening, and to be honest i don't have a clue what it is if anyone could please enlighten me i would be very grateful.

[edit on 24/8/07 by RancidCat]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   
I found Stellarium in the Ubuntu Linux 'Synaptic Package Manager'.
There was no need to go to the download site

This will come in handy at times.

posted on Aug, 26 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   
Hi all, should i have posted my sighting as a seperate thread? or does nobody know what it is. Just thought this was the right one considering the thread title.

Once again any help appreaciated.

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 12:34 PM
link   
Question. It is now 2155 in Afghanistan, Where I am, and I just saw a very bright light in the eastern sky. I'll attepmt to fllow your directions of exact location but have never done such a thing.
From North to East about 100 to 110
above horizon 25 degree
Date May 28 2008
Time 2150 (give or take a couple)
It was near a location that I had seen a star that would appear brighter on some nights than others. Yes it would change colors ruling out a plant. I had atributed this to the dust in the air (brightness that is) but tonight it ernt VERY bright then out. Was it a super Nova? I have seen many aircraft coming in for landings and do not believe that is what I saw.
Anyone know what it was?

posted on Jan, 19 2009 @ 11:18 PM
link   
reply to post by PeanutButterJellyTime

yea yea stellarium is tops. works good in linux and winblows. excellent FREE software. just do a print out of ya sky at the right time(time u'll be outside and right dirction -well up ;-)

posted on Feb, 8 2009 @ 09:29 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 11:52 AM
link   
you try getting a cheap planisphere too.

you can download them for free and print them out at skyandtelescope.com

posted on Jan, 29 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
www.universetoday.com...

This is going onallweekendlong! dont miss itr!

posted on Apr, 16 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
S + F

Very informative. Now all I need is something to actually spot in the sky. I never seem to spot much.

posted on Oct, 7 2010 @ 06:23 PM
link   
wow..thank you very much for that...brilliant.

finally, i know now what to when i see something....that OP was priceless.

Once again mate Thanx

posted on Dec, 10 2010 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I've been seeing a huuuuuuuuuuge star ever since Saturday. It comes from the East I believe. I'm actually not sure if it's a star or a planet, but I know it's definitely not a plane or a UFO.

posted on Feb, 20 2011 @ 12:56 PM
link   
Back on Feb 14th about 10pm, looking Nto NW I saw a 2 flashesw in about 5 to10 second period. Really bright. Did some searching on NASA news. Think it is the NanoSail-D. Pretty cool. One of the most reflective satelites they just put up.

posted on Mar, 1 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Another shooting star. I live between of Lehigh Valley Airport and Lehigh river. Looking south at 8:45pm at Orion's Belt. Caught a shooting star starting above belt traveling downward and burned out before the lower stars. Pretty cool.
edit on 1-3-2011 by mugger because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 30 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   
Thank you, this will help people who say the see bright lights see that they are natural occurring in nature and no the UFO phenomenon

posted on Aug, 3 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Thanks for the tips OP
wish I had this info a few decades ago, but I won't go there.

posted on Aug, 4 2011 @ 12:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Expired

Glad that several years later some are still finding it useful!

posted on Aug, 17 2011 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by cmdrkeenkid

No worries your OP and description of the altitude Altzimuth concept was explained simply enough for even me to get my head around thanks mate.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join