It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fastest transistor developed, 604GHZ.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 04:00 AM
link   
Wow, just when intel say they are reaching their limits with 4ghz
I dont think so, this thing could pave the way for another boost in GHZ speeds with computers that run much much faster than todays computers, i bet intel and amd already knew about this and many other innovations

www.newscientist.com...

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 05:04 AM
link   
WOW And I thought Cell Processing was good, my poor little computers only a 1.3GHZ! Hopefully the manufacturing process for this isn't too difficult though it does seem simple in that article, I'd bet it's about as hard as stopping Hydrogen from escaping your bare hands

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 05:13 AM
link   
Nice. 604ghz. Doom 3 will still lag though.
And Windows will still run like a**. The only thing that will improve is your system's ability to process and display popup ads.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 05:42 AM
link   
guys...it's a transistor. You're CPU is not one big transistor it's a hell of alot more complex than that. The reason you're CPU is at 4Ghz is cos there are so damned many transistors etc bunched in that they get too hot...imagine how hot this lil sucker runs... will prob only see it in high powered network routers etc...

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by LordGoofus
guys...it's a transistor. You're CPU is not one big transistor it's a hell of alot more complex than that. The reason you're CPU is at 4Ghz is cos there are so damned many transistors etc bunched in that they get too hot...imagine how hot this lil sucker runs... will prob only see it in high powered network routers etc...

So, how fast does an individual transistor run in an existing 4Ghz processor?

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 11:56 AM
link   
not individuals but the whole thing. Remember when Intel had all those problems cause the P4's where running super hot. Youd have to phase change x's 100000 to cool that thingphasechange
We'll be moving beyond silicon in a few years just to combat the heat problems that weve been comming up with recently. Diamonds, An Overclockers Best Friend.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 12:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Civil44
not individuals but the whole thing. Remember when Intel had all those problems cause the P4's where running super hot. Youd have to phase change x's 100000 to cool that thingphasechange
We'll be moving beyond silicon in a few years just to combat the heat problems that weve been comming up with recently. Diamonds, An Overclockers Best Friend.

But Lordgoofus said that the CPU is made up of many transistors?

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 12:45 PM
link   
It is still theoretically possible to have these transistors on a chip provided that they do not run to hot, isnt it?

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Simple answer, create an uber cooler for it
hehe, couldnt you use something like that ice, that is a gases form, like -200c

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 03:24 PM
link   
Transistor speed has nothing to do with CPU speed. Transistor speed is the switching speed of a transistor from 1 to 0 and vice versa. The overall speed of a CPU is determined by a clock that synchronizes all chip components. Since there are various components at various speeds, a CPU clock always work for the lowest common denominator: the slowest component of the chip determines the actual clock speed. And let's not forget the paths that the electric signals have to travel, electric resistance etc etc.

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by masterp
Transistor speed has nothing to do with CPU speed. Transistor speed is the switching speed of a transistor from 1 to 0 and vice versa. The overall speed of a CPU is determined by a clock that synchronizes all chip components. Since there are various components at various speeds, a CPU clock always work for the lowest common denominator: the slowest component of the chip determines the actual clock speed. And let's not forget the paths that the electric signals have to travel, electric resistance etc etc.

Thank you masterp, for an informative and yet concise run down on CPUs.

Today I did learn something.

apc

posted on Apr, 21 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   
indium phosphide technology is nothing new (this very article even has a few threads already running I think).
circuitry etched on indium phosphide chips run cooler than silicon. heat is not an issue. As the design and production processes are perfected, we will begin to see indium phosphide/gallium based components creep into high end mainframe-type systems (The UltraMegaUber-Crays) and then slowly trickle down into lower high end server components (can't wait to get my hands on an IndiSPARC ehehe), before eventually reaching the end user market.. probably 25years or so from now, after all avenues of the cheaper silicon have been exhausted and indium phosphide is economical.

Sign up on ieee.org .. they have tons of great info on just about everything computer oriented, ever, and indium phosphide articles dating back to the 80s. If you're an engineer you can get discount health insurance, too!

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   
yeah sorry I didn't claim to be an electronics expert
Was just trying to make a point that transistor speed doesn't translate directly into an insanely fast processor
Maybe I should've clarified that better. My bad

posted on Apr, 26 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   
look on the net for some guys that made a cooler out of a cyrogenic freezer. they made a 10 page article about it online. anywayys 2.4 pentium c (*800 fsb) -- -> 5.1

ghz dont really matter as much as you think tho amds are less ghz and outperform intels pents
look more into it than that.. dont be an intelsumer

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Indy
Nice. 604ghz. Doom 3 will still lag though.
And Windows will still run like a**. The only thing that will improve is your system's ability to process and display popup ads.

You owe me a roll of paper towels cuz that's what it took to wipe all the beer I spit on my monitor!!!!!!!!!

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by apc
Sign up on ieee.org .. they have tons of great info on just about everything computer oriented, ever, and indium phosphide articles dating back to the 80s. If you're an engineer you can get discount health insurance, too!

Does that count for Engineering Tech Majors...especially in the field of electronics? Just curious...

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 09:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by OXmanK

Originally posted by apc

Does that count for Engineering Tech Majors...especially in the field of electronics? Just curious...

Your in a electronics engineering major and you don't know what IEEE is?
Wow, that is scary. IEEE stands for Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers. I think that should answer your question.

posted on Apr, 27 2005 @ 02:21 PM
link   
That's not it...I am not a "true" engineer. I don't know if I could join IEEE. My degree is Bachelor of Engineering Technology: Instrumentation and Electronics. I don't know if that would count...

posted on Apr, 28 2005 @ 09:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ohio_Ron
You owe me a roll of paper towels cuz that's what it took to wipe all the beer I spit on my monitor!!!!!!!!!

Paper towel? You don't want a beer replacement?

You know what is sad is that my statement is probably true. BTW for anyone running Firefox I'd recomment the Adblock module. It can help you finish off the ads that popup blocker doesn't get.

top topics

join