It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does 'ethical non-monogamy' really exist?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

I assume he had his battles.

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 07:14 AM
link   
a reply to: GENERAL EYES

That's a lot of incestuous interbreeding of half siblings I would think....

On the contrary, polygamy promotes genetic mixing. It can also be a powerful social escalator for women, because a woman takes the social class of her husband. The shortage of marriageable females appears at the other end of the social spectrum, among the poor.

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 07:25 AM
link   

It appears he had a sexual relationship with his daughter, so there ya go.

You are wrong. There is no hint of this whatsoever on record, and Anna became a famous psychotherapist in her own right. She died in 1982.

There is debate whether Freud's professional relationships with her was appropriate. Psychoanalysts aren't supposed to analyse their family members.

Freud had other daughters besides Anna, but not a breath of scandal involving any of them.

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 07:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: Astyanax

It appears he had a sexual relationship with his daughter, so there ya go.

You are wrong. There is no hint of this whatsoever on record, and Anna became a famous psychotherapist in her own right. She died in 1982.

There is debate whether Freud's professional relationships with her was appropriate. Psychoanalysts aren't supposed to analyse their family members.

Freud had other daughters besides Anna, but not a breath of scandal involving any of them.

Okay, Freud says he only helped his daughter explore her sexual fantasies and libido - whatever that means - and that she chose to never marry? He also admits he did the same with his female patients then masturbated afterwards. Take that for what it's worth.

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Take that for what it's worth.

I do. It's worthless; the prurient speculation of dirty minds.

I am surprised and disappointed by you.

edit on 2/4/24 by Astyanax because:

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 08:23 AM
link   

Take that for what it's worth.

I do. It's worthless; the prurient speculation of dirty minds.

I am surprised and disappointed by you.

And I am surprised you are ignoring his masturbation after discussing the same things with his women patients as he did with his daughter, but hey you do you.
edit on q00000023430America/Chicago3838America/Chicago4 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 08:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

originally posted by: Annee
Why wouldn't there be?

There is an intimacy and a special bond that comes from having a monogamous relationship with someone. If you are inviting all sorts of people into your relationship and being intimate with them, then that special one-on-one bond that you would have with another single person is gone. It's a free for all instead of something special just between a pair of people. The whole point of marriage ceases to exist.

This is definitely what we are taught. Of course, we’re also taught not to cheat.

I personally do not think humans are naturally monogamous.

Why cheat? Ruin a trust? Break up a family?

We’re already going back to extended families due to housing and the cost of living.

Not everyone has family. Might need to make one.

I’m looking to the future generation. They may need to adapt.

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 12:45 PM
link   

Masturbation is a sex offence now?

Professional discretion, too?

And where did you learn all this, anyway? Got a source? Something verifiable rather than a blog post or YouTube video?

edit on 2/4/24 by Astyanax because:

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Professional discretion, too?

And where did you learn all this, anyway? Got a source? Something verifiable rather than a blog post or YouTube video?

The guy was a weirdo who interviewed women on their sexual fantasies/libido then masturbated afterwards, just my opinion on who really needed psychiatric/sexual therapy help, now let's get back to being on topic, hmm?
edit on q00000051430America/Chicago4646America/Chicago4 by quintessentone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 01:02 PM
link   

The buzz phrase is 'ethical non-monogamy'. It's becoming popular at discussion forums and even on some TV shows. But the question is ... does 'ethical non-monogamy' really exist? Ethical non-monogamy supposedly is when couples have sexual and romantic relationships with people outside of just the two of them, and since they both agree to it, it's called 'ethical'.

When things are agreed upon, people can do whatever they want. But I question the lipstick-on-a-pig approach of calling this behavior 'ethical'. Isn't this just a matter of people sexually screwing around a lot and not really having a solid and moral relationship with another person? How can you really be in a couple-relationship if you have invited tons of others into it to screw around with? The intimacy is gone. Or is it all hunky-dory and anything goes as long as people all are willing participants?

Ethical Non Monogamy Guide

Ethical non-monogamy (ENM), also known as consensual non-monogamy (CNM), is an approach to relationships wherein people can have more than one romantic or sexual partner at a time, and everybody involved is aware and enthusiastically consents to the dynamic. Polyamory, open relationships, and swinging are all forms of ethically non-monogamous relationships.

"When explaining ethical or consensual non-monogamy to my clients, my go-to is the three C's: communication, consideration, and of course, consent," psychotherapist Cheyenne Taylor, LMSW, explains to mbg. "Ethical non-monogamy is based on the concept of using socially acceptable guidelines and ethically motivated tools to cultivate a relationship built on the foundation of non-monogamy. At its core, though, ENM means not cheating or acting without the consent of your partner."

Definitions of 'ethical'

- of or relating to ethics
- involving or expressing moral approval or disapproval
- conforming to accepted standards of conduct - ethical behavior

Synonyms

- MORAL, ETHICAL, VIRTUOUS, RIGHTEOUS, NOBLE mean conforming to a standard of what is right and good.
- MORAL implies conformity to established sanctioned codes or accepted notions of right and wrong.

My daughter is a writer for "Philadephia Magazine". She wrote a cover story article about polyamory called

"Welcome to Polydelphia"

Welcome to Polydelphia - Philadelphia Magazine

Chelsea is a terrific writer.

She must be the milkman's kid...

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 01:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone
The guy was a weirdo who interviewed women on their sexual fantasies/libido then masturbated afterwards, just my opinion on who really needed psychiatric/sexual therapy help, now let's get back to being on topic, hmm?

A psychologist or psychiatrist who is listening to a patient, is in a position of power over that patient. For him to be listening to their sex lives and sex fantasies etc etc .. getting off on it and masterbaiting to the thought of it .. is sick and unprofessional.

The guy came up with psychological theories that 'explained' his own perversions. He tried to make them mainstream so he wouldn't be considered a deviant by himself and others.

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Depends on where and when you do it.
In public? Yes. In your own bedroom? No.
Listening to patients sex lives and then masturbating to the thought of it ... unprofessional and sick.
But not against the law.

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 01:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone

A psychologist or psychiatrist who is listening to a patient, is in a position of power over that patient. For him to be listening to their sex lives and sex fantasies etc etc .. getting off on it and masterbaiting to the thought of it .. is sick and unprofessional.

The guy came up with psychological theories that 'explained' his own perversions. He tried to make them mainstream so he wouldn't be considered a deviant by himself and others.

Yeah we agree absolutely.

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 01:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

I have no issue with polygamy. Many wealthier men tend to have harems even if it isnt formally called that...

I also think prostitution should be legal.

People should also be able to enter into any kind of marriage contract they desire.

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 01:13 PM
link   
I'm always astonished that so many rightwingers are obsessed with other people's sex lives and infact want govt. control over it, as witnessed by the roe v wade decision. I presume it's because of Evangelical influence in governmental policies. Separation of church and state is dead.

religionandpolitics.org...
edit on 2-4-2024 by lilzazz because: syntax

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 01:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: Edumakated
a reply to: Annee

I have no issue with polygamy. Many wealthier men tend to have harems even if it isnt formally called that...

I also think prostitution should be legal.

People should also be able to enter into any kind of marriage contract they desire.

I agree on prostitution 100%. Regulated and taxed.

There's lot's of "poly's" -- Your Guide To 9 Different Types Of Poly Relationships: darcymagazine.com...

But I think in the USA its maturing and evolving past 2-centuris of social-religious doctrine.

Consenting adults should be able to form whatever bonds they want that work for them. With a legal contract.

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 01:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: lilzazz
I'm always astonished that so many rightwingers are obsessed with other people's sex lives and infact want govt. control over it, as witnessed by the roe v wade decision. I presume it's because of Evangelical influence in governmental policies. Separation of church and state is dead.

For real

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 01:47 PM
link   
a reply to: lilzazz

You mean the Roe V Wade decision that eliminated federal influence in abortion and made it a state issue as it was always meant to be? It's funny to claim that the issue of abortion is wanting government control over peoples sex lives. I'd prefer that people not kill innocent unborn children for matters of convenience, but that must be my right wing evangelical mindset and my obsession with other peoples sex lives.

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 01:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrGashler

You mean the Roe V Wade decision that eliminated federal influence in abortion and made it a state issue as it was always meant to be? It's funny to claim that the issue of abortion is wanting government control over peoples sex lives. I'd prefer that people not kill innocent unborn children for matters of convenience, but that must be my right wing evangelical mindset and my obsession with other peoples sex lives.

Well maybe not you but others here keep saying women should keep their legs closed.

posted on Apr, 2 2024 @ 01:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: MrGashler

Women are not segregated by state.

Anything that needs to apply to ALL women -- needs to be Federal.

What your beliefs are -- is not relevant to me -- and has no bearing on my choices.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join