It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tomb Raider ReMassa Edition

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 09:24 AM
link   
In this crazy clown world where girls will be boys and boys will be girls and it all tastes like cherry cola! C-O-L-A Cola...

...I often retreat into the world of retro gaming. Surely there's nothing offensive or racist in classics such as Super Mario or Sonic the Hedgehog. However, gaming icon Lara Croft of the Tomb Raider series has recently come with an apology and a warning.

From the era of 1996, Lara was one of the first real 3D video games. It featured a strong, independent, and fierce heroine who stopped evil powers from achieving their nefarious goals of world conquest. And she looked good doing it! Tomb Raider was a recipe for gaming success and Lara herself became somewhat of a celebrity in the following years.

The classic 90's trilogy has just been released as a remastered edition with stunning new graphics sure to please new and old fans alike.

But the owners of the Intellectual Property call out all of us bigots who enjoyed the original games, and hopes we learn what vile racists we are.

The games in this collection contain offensive depictions of people and cultures rooted in racial and ethnic prejudices. These stereotypes are deeply harmful, inexcusable, and do not align with our values at Crystal Dynamics.

Rather than removing this content, we have chosen to present it here in its original form, unaltered, in the hopes that we may acknowledge its harmful impact and learn from it.

www.resetera.com...

There's no detail in the statement on which specific elements of the games it refers to

www.resetera.com...

For context, the globe-trotting adventure falls on many tropes, such as Italian mafiosos, Frenchy French guys with French accents, London "Chavs," and Tibetan Monks who do martial arts. The game also features a clutch of Native Pacific Islanders that blow darts and may practice cannibalism.

It's hard to say exactly what we're supposed to be offended by. I've even seen it commented that the British Lara Croft desecrating cultural sites in the name of adventure brings up painful memories of British Colonialism.

I assure you all these hot-button topics were on my mind as a 10 year old playing video games.

Lara Croft also fights off hoards of dinosaurs, mummies, aliens, and other fictional creatures. Maybe this is offensive as well. Or maybe it's a clue that these games aren't meant to serve as realism, but fantasy.

As offensive and racist as these games are, apparently, it didn't stop the owners from releasing them for profit.

Do we even want to talk about games like Grand Theft Auto or Duke Nukem? I've seriously never seem a video game apologize for itself and attempt to shame its players: well done Tomb Raider and happy 2024.

I'm curious, did Indiana Jones ever get cancelled?

edit on 16-2-2024 by AlroyFarms because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 09:39 AM
link   
a reply to: AlroyFarms
Old skool gamer here, total agreement!

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 09:40 AM
link   

These stereotypes are deeply harmful, inexcusable, and do not align with our values at Crystal Dynamics.

"But we want your money so we'll suspend our sensibilities for profit"

Played the original on the SEGA Saturn and it blew my mind even though the controls were awful , wasn't so keen on 2 and never played 3 but I had considered picking up the remasters for a trip down memory lane .... until I read their disclaimer.

Strong female characters are now considered harmful ? , or is it just because she has big boobies ?

In a confused world it's easy to be confused.

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 09:43 AM
link   
So they're presenting the games in full as they were originally developed with the only change being a splash screen saying, "Hey, some of this stuff may not have aged well," and you're taking issue with it.

Remind me again who the snowflakes are?

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 09:46 AM
link   
a reply to: gortex
Harmful, problematic, and dangerous!🤣

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 09:52 AM
link   
So it's a win win for them, they can use their original racist and bigoted product again and make millions while appearing woke for their peers in business so they can continue unimpeded.

I don't think the game was any of those things, and really don't care, but this is really pathetic on their part for using this social agenda to make even more money while appearing righteous, at least in their own eyes.

What a con job.

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 09:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: NoCorruptionAllowed
So it's a win win for them, they can use their original racist and bigoted product again and make millions while appearing woke for their peers in business so they can continue unimpeded.

I don't think the game was any of those things, and really don't care, but this is really pathetic on their part for using this social agenda to make even more money while appearing righteous, at least in their own eyes.

What a con job.

To clarify, the current owners did not develop or publish the original games. They are simply virtue signaling while enjoying the profits of someone else's work.

Basically, hey gamers, you're too stupid to know that this is a fantasy video game before the age of militant wokeness and may contain emotional triggers for those who thrive on being offended by everything real or imagined.

No refunds!

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 09:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: gortex

Strong female characters are now considered harmful ? , or is it just because she has big boobies ?

Yes, Lara has always created an 'unrealistic' portrayal of real women

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 10:05 AM
link   

I played the Tomb Raider games as a kid and for the life of me I couldn't figure out what exactly their talking about in regards to "harmful stereotypes". So i dove a little deeper into it and found this:

What has remained is the stereotypical and racist depiction of a group of South American natives who dance, wield blowguns and are implied to be cannibals. 

www.standard.co.uk...#:~:text=What%20has%20remained%20is%20the,are%20imp lied%20to%20be%20cannibals.

My goodness. What cowards.

Well, I guess the solution going forward is to only depict cannibalistic tribes as caucasian. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Years back that last sentence would've been sarcastic.

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 10:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: Threadbarer
So they're presenting the games in full as they were originally developed with the only change being a splash screen saying, "Hey, some of this stuff may not have aged well," and you're taking issue with it.

The front-runners are probably the people that have had websites set up for the past decade to plan for, propagandize, and coordinate toward, forcing companies to make asinine statements pandering to their niche identity cults?

It's funny that pampered leftists care about how minorities are depicted in video games, but they don't care about the actual minority children that literally live in burning E-waste dumps scrapping toxic materials from the Apple generation or harvesting the resources under inhumane conditions for corporations to sell them their wireless butt-plugs and plastic-filled shrines to pop-consumerism.

When will the threats and boycotts over real abuse commence? I guess talk is cheap and the fake liberals are always buying, eh?

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 10:21 AM
link   
a reply to: AgarthaSeed

I loved Tomb Raider from day one,but who comes up with this claptrap?

"What has remained is the stereotypical and racist depiction of a group of South American natives who dance, wield blowguns and are implied to be cannibals. "

ALL cultures dance.
MANY have used or still use blowguns.
MOST were at one point cannibals-yes including us in the west.

So its offensive and nasty if anyone portrays anything anyone does or once did?
Righto- lets cancel or put trigger warnings on all media films books and anything which portrays anyone.

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 10:28 AM
link   
when that t rex comes stomping after you remains one of my most frought gaming memories. right up there with the entirety of alien isolation

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Yes, Lara has always created an 'unrealistic' portrayal of real women

She was just channelling her inner Madonna.

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 10:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: AgarthaSeed

Well, I guess the solution going forward is to only depict cannibalistic tribes as caucasian. 🤷🏻‍♂️

The thing about this scene, is that a young me thought it was sort of a bait and switch foreshadow. There are dinosaurs on the island, though Lara doesn't know it yet, and the Australian guy admits he didn't get a good look at whatever chomped his leg, "It was dark." They're only speculating based on the available circumstances.

Make of it what you will. I guess I'm just too stoopit not to see the obvious hateful racism they were going for here.

Transcript of dialogue:

"Not interrupting, am I?" Lara asks.

"Not bleeding, are you?" he replies with a distinct Australian accent. "Not about to use this place as a dunny?"*

"No and...no." Lara answers dryly.

"Good. Good. Just don't want any fly-carrying visitors in here." He taps away his cigar ash on his injured leg.

"Right, I understand. What happened?" Lara asks as she moves closer.

"Woke up in the jungle with one of those little blokes snacking on my leg, didn't I?"

"A tribesman?" Lara's sounds surprised. "It isn't usual for them to eat right off the bone like that."

"Well, it was dark," the soldier answers, "and I never got the bugger, so I can't be sure. Something spooky is in that jungle." The soldier stops and watches as a fly circles his head. He watches it and readies the paper as he continues, "Our air carrier crashed up in the mountains. Every night some of my men would vanish without trace. Others fled in fear. Then this happened." He points to his leg. "So I brought the men down to shore for safety only for us all to be captured by this greedy mob. Some sort of sacrifice to their god who lives up in the hills. Though it seems I've not been invited to the barbie."*

As he tells his story, he tracks the movement of a fly buzzing around him. When it lands on the bunk next to him, he swats it with the rolled-up paper.

"Maybe you're the dessert," Lara says. "Ripe flesh can be a bit of a delicacy around here."

"For real?" he asks.

"Listen," Lara says as the sound of distant drums starts to become louder. "We'd better get you out of here. Do you know how the tribe cross the swamp down there? Which stones they tread on?"

"Yeah, but I'm staying put," he tells her. "With this wound I'd be like a fill-up station to every diseased bug in the bush. I'd rather be the main course for a real feast." He hands Lara the map he's been holding, then lowers himself back onto the bunk and turns away. "Hey, If you see any of my men alive in there, direct them to the north shore will you? Away from here."

"Of course," Lara promises.

edit on 16-2-2024 by AlroyFarms because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 12:01 PM
link   
Within 2 hours there was a nudity mod.

Don’t want that but would be nice if they made her beautiful again.

Guess I’m a racist misogynistic pic.

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 12:32 PM
link   

If we couldn't follow Lara crawling through a tunnel and walking like a babe the game wouldn't have been as popular as it was.

Leave Lara alone and stop blaming feelz for an iconic time in gaming that started a whole new era for keyboard and controller warriors.

Woke goes broke is a wonderful exhibition of Karma these days.

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 01:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Threadbarer

You are the snowflake

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 01:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Threadbarer

The point is it really shouldn't have to be addressed at all. At least to anyone with half a brain

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 03:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: SprocketUK
when that t rex comes stomping after you remains one of my most frought gaming memories. right up there with the entirety of alien isolation

It is an inadvertently spooky set of games. The atmospherics, the loneliness and emptiness of the world, combined with the jump scares.

The best way to play is late at night in the dark.

posted on Feb, 16 2024 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Is this de same Massa dat's in de col' col' groun' edition?

Shame on them for calling this edition with that particular name and using such blatant and stereotypical hurtful language of a certain ethno group from the past.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join