It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

east coast of america to be swallowed by mega-tsunami?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 06:40 AM
link   
it is said that when the cumbre vieja volcano in the canary islands erupts it will cause a huge landslide triggering a mega-tsunami that will swallow the east coast of america.

here is a piece of the article:

Tens of millions lost at sea. Not from a terror attack or in some sci-fi scareflick, but in their own homes when America’s east coast is swallowed up by a raging surge from the North Atlantic. That’s what will happen when the Cumbre Vieja volcano on La Palma erupts in the Canary Islands off the West Coast of Africa, sending a rockslide of biblical proportions splashing into the sea. And scientists agree, it’s not a question of “if” but when.

the full article can be found on www.culturechange.org...

please post your replies stating what you think about this.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 06:44 AM
link   
Scaring, yes!
I am worried about the San Andreas fault too...
If that one breaks, wave byebye to the californian peninsula.
And when that one slides into the sea, there will be a huuuge tsunami travelling westwards...

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 08:10 AM
link   
That is the MOST pessimistic article I have ever read...again, it's not taking into account of the new technologies that will have matured by then.

Hydrophonic Farming, Nano Technology, Genetic Manipulation of crops and even cattle (grow meat with cloning instead of slaughtering cattle).

New energy sources will undoubtly be unveiled which are being concealed due to the oil-mafia wanting to profit on their black gold.

Undoubtly, Hydrogen powered cars will not be as expensive as oil powered cars.

Yes there is alot that can happen to our civilization, we know that, that's why we are focusing on stellar exploration, that's why it's so incredibly important, our life is not guaranteed here.

However a Cataclysmic Meteor strike is not very likely since it's an incredible rare event, even on gas giants like Jupiter which is a meteor magnet...

Even the Canary Islands mega-tsunami is not guaranteed to happen, i'm sure there is plenty of things that can be done to prevent this from happening (nukes anybody?).

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 10:51 AM
link   
The work on the canaries has been found to be inaccurate, it is very unlikely to have the entire side of the volcano fail at the same time. It is more likely that it will fall off in small chunks which will have no effect whatsoever.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 10:55 AM
link   
why worry about the canary islands when you already have possible disaster looming for Sumatra and the Indonesian region?

I read something a long time ago about the Canary Island volcano and the possibilites of what would happen, but seing that the region isn't as seismically active as other parts of the world, it's on the far far back burner of my mind.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 11:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by krunal8000
it is said that when the cumbre vieja volcano in the canary islands erupts it will cause a huge landslide triggering a mega-tsunami that will swallow the east coast of america.

please post your replies stating what you think about this.

Well lets see the last one hit in 1755 and they are said to occur every 1000 to 2000 years so we do not have to worry about one, because we will all be long gone.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 02:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Rock Hunter
The work on the canaries has been found to be inaccurate, it is very unlikely to have the entire side of the volcano fail at the same time. It is more likely that it will fall off in small chunks which will have no effect whatsoever.

Could you confirm this inaccuracy in any way?
Why isn't "Most of the rocky western flank of Cumbre Vieja is unstable enough to be dislodged in the next big eruption of the volcano"?
What does the ground consist of? Is there not a possibility of a cataclysmic explosion? -Which would make the whole side dissapear in superheated dust? Is it so that in this scenario, the "dust" would not move the water in the same way as if a single rock was thrown into the water. -In this case it would be alot of stones, big ones, sliding into the water, making a bathtub-effect? Or is the volcano of a "kind" type, that only gurgles when active?

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 03:33 PM
link   

If that one breaks, wave byebye to the californian peninsula.

The San Andreas fault isn't a diverging fault, if it moves massively, then part of california travels upcoastwise. But faults don't really work like that anyway.

Also, its not a single fault, in case anyone is wondering, its a series of faults

Here's an awesome depiction

These are actually from a slide show available here. Which was from here, and which I actually found here which I googled up. Haven't read much of it, but it looks like it has some good info.

posted on Apr, 14 2005 @ 03:43 PM
link   
I stand corrected. I was not quite correct in my statement. It cannot break, since the fault(s) are actually the breakingpoint(s) of the plates...

I presume that no continental plates will buckle completly under the other, like ice on water. At least not in the lifespan of a single man/woman...
Instead the plates makes folds in the ground where the plates presses against eachoter, yes. The result is new lakes and seas someplaces, other places you get mountainous areas. This do indeed take time.

My guess is that when the peninsula goes, it most likely has another name too. Frr'Grahk, or something...

posted on Apr, 15 2005 @ 03:44 AM
link   

By the time such a wave crossed the Atlantic, its power would have diminished but it could still wreak havoc up to 20 kilometers (12 miles) inland.

Oh well, apparently I am not far enough inland. Can I assume that I will have enough warning time to get in the car and head west? Seriously, a few more details would have been appreciated. What would the time frame be to reach these areas slated to be hit?

I'll just have to rely on ATSNN to get an early alert out so I can beat the traffic.

top topics

join