It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 8 Greatest Philosophical Theories You Need To Know - Aperture

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: FullHeathen

not going to lie that's a little disappointing.

Who tells you this electric signaling in the brain is what makes your mind go? It could be the other way around and whatever gives you impulses of thought is using your brain as relais to translate that into electricity and hormones for your body to read it.

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 10:48 PM
link   
a reply to: FurPerson

not going to lie that's a little disappointing.

How did the video put it? "Dare to be disliked"? Kind of like dare to disappoint.

Who tells you this electric signaling in the brain is what makes your mind go?

I'm not a neuroscientist or anything. I've seen pictures of brain activity. And I for one am of the opinion that memory has a whole lot to do with self identification.

I have seen many instances of dementia and what it does. Dementia is organic brain disease.

That's all I know. Anything else would be speculation.
======================================================
If the Youtube guy can call the short story The Egg a theory than I can call Hans Christian Anderson's The Little Mermaid a theory.

Goes like this: I am a little mermaid. When I die I will become sea foam. And that foam is a bunch of bubbles that pop. The end.

On the other hand, humans have immortal souls that fly off to heaven (Whatever the hell that means).

It would be the height of folly for humans to be taught by mermaids about the soul and such.

edit on 2-11-2023 by FullHeathen because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 11:27 PM
link   
a reply to: FurPerson

Great list.

Can I also add Dunbar's Number to that list of theories?

I'd say it's the most relevant theory to why we have civilization, government, and doctrine.

posted on Nov, 1 2023 @ 11:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: FullHeathen
a reply to: quintessentone

Nostalgia gives us a sense of continuity of self. Amnesia is no good as a way of life.

Did you ever watch Pulp Fiction in the theater? The whole audience burst out laughing when the dance started. It was a nostalgic moment for those remembering Saturday Night Fever.

The thing is, I lived Saturday Night Fever. Are we talking dopamine again? I'm not sure what is what.

Oh, yeah!

Let's not exclude our primary sexual nature.

posted on Nov, 2 2023 @ 12:01 AM
link   
Banned
edit on 2-11-2023 by FullHeathen because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2023 @ 12:04 AM
link   

a reply to: quintessentone

If that's a bad memory for you, then I'm sorry I mentioned it.

I was aware of the movie at the time, just too busy to watch it.
A couple years later a lady next door gave me one disco dancing lesson.
It was a simple step.

Wait! Did you happen to live in the Thunderbird Apartments in '79?

It has to do with our sexual nature, which we never talk about here on ATS. It's banned.

posted on Nov, 2 2023 @ 06:42 AM
link   
a reply to: strongfp

Some would see such theories of existence as an oasis or a philosophy worth considering if the one they traditionally does not lead to anything worth really living or left 'feeling' empty from it.

Forging into a new tradition or life path as trajectory is of course going to strike all people like a rock entering water... As an individual? Cool however expecting everyone to follow whatever it is means one isn't empty and requires those as support. Then even when that occurs as in no ultimatum of with me or against me? Then all one knows etc has to be abandoned to truly embrace of follow it as a 'self' those clinging whether known or unknown? Well it;s essentially 'their' funeral as it is as put ultimately an individuals choice.

Whats strange is that emptying of goes on infinitely and whats worse is all of those that would do such a thing said they have done such a thing and yet immediately known they haven't otherwise they would not be trying to follow empty into empty having not realized that as an individual as of yet.

posted on Apr, 20 2024 @ 08:17 AM
link   

Let's take "The Egg Theory" for instance:
It is not a theory. It is a short story. Speculative fiction.

To me it actually makes sense and explains quite a lot. Plus keep in mind all theories are considered possible works of fiction. If they're proven they're called "laws"

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join