It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

OCD alternative treatments?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2023 @ 12:18 AM
link   
I will have to bookmark this thread and go over the options/treatments. Thanks for all the suggestions so far

posted on Oct, 18 2023 @ 12:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
a reply to: ancientlight

I take NAC every evening and have noticed no change in my OCD. I have had OCD all my life, and I know no other way. I learned long ago to organize everything so it is quickly found. I also found I have the worrier genes full blast, but if you control what you can to lower risk, it is not a problem. The OCD helps me control the stress of daily life, I control the environment I live in. Most people in the worrier genetics category work where they can control their environment, think about an accountant, or a business owner who can control his workers or at least the bosses that control the workers. I have been a boss or business owner most of my working career.

Taurine or NAC seem to have little effect on my OCD. organizing my life makes things easy so the ocd works hand in hand with who I am. It is not so bad having OCD, you just have to learn how to focus it on things and make sure to learn to focus on things that need to be done, not things that do not matter.

NAC and taurine can help to manage stress but that is different than being obsessive and compulsive. Hemp canibinoids seem to lessen the OCD, or at least they seem to take away your ability to see you are doing it. Regular Pot actually makes me get carried away with the OCD and I get nothing accomplished. I just go in circles when High but don't seem to care I am doing that.

I never knew you have OCD as well , sad to hear . I've read you need to take about 3000mg of NAC for it to work with OCD. I've been taking a too low dose as the pills are only 600mg each and taste/smell disgusting. I will need to take 5/day everday and hope it works. I've already bought several jars so will have to give it good go at least.

Also, I spend the summer 5 - 7 weeks organizing a schedule and , off course, re-writing that schedule several times till it was to my liking. And now I never use it, go figure. Too overwhelmed by my OCD and daily work that I can't oversee it atm. I am not organized , everything is a cluttered mess that I'm trying to organize but I can't really seem to get there

edit on 18-10-2023 by ancientlight because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2023 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I have heard vit B1 good for lots of neurological things tourettes and tips included. Sorry you are suffering. a reply to: ancientlight

posted on Oct, 18 2023 @ 01:05 AM
link   
For a light look at ocd.

edit on 18-10-2023 by Cloudbuster because: (no reason given)

Dam it, it's not working for me. Here's the link. It's a song.

youtu.be...
edit on 18-10-2023 by Cloudbuster because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2023 @ 07:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: ancientlight

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Maybe this is out there, have you ever done a parasite cleanse?
A heavy metal detox?

No, it does sound a bit out there . I've had OCD on/off since I was about 15 (now 51). I don't think it's caused by parasites

It is out there but she's potentially right.

Most things psychological come back to the serotonin/dopamine relationship and anything put into the body chemically can alter the relationship, that would include parasites and even what your gut biota produces.

Loads of great advice here and I'd say go with mindfulness and physical activities first as well as considering diet. We're all different and I'm not clever enough to say anything other than psychology is a very nuanced topic. It's better to understand the individual's relationship with the topic before altering things chemically since these chemicals are naturally produced.

Big pharma works so well because the drugs are lifelong prescriptions, those prescriptions are given too casually and do more damage than good in the long run imho.

posted on Oct, 18 2023 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Mornin' dear...dunno if this helps. Hope so...it's just an outside perspective...

It is said the compulsion(s) are driven, as are the opposites to them. Changing ones perspective, or at least contemplate the adoption of the opposites of not using your "standard o.c.d. compulsions...can be revealing.

Accepting it's nearly impossible to sufferers, otherwise there wouldn't be the issue.

In the 1950's, my dad would shake the pharmacy door like a dozen times, get in the car, get back out....and shake em another dozen more times. There was no real name, so of course, one didn't try...You
have resources A.L.

As well, you're a child of God, and as such, life is not easy: but that life is yours. And the fact that you see it, realize it, question it, want to not be so troubled by it...means...there's not really so much wrong w you afterall!

God bless you every second of every day!😎☝️✌️
edit on 10232831America/ChicagoWed, 18 Oct 2023 09:35:28 -050035202300000028 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2023 @ 12:10 PM
link   

If some one were to tell me I had anything mental... lol; I'd ask them what my motivation was; As believing them would be assuming a role, not knowing anything about it.

After having fell for so much leg pulling and out right lies when I was younger; I'm not as a gullible as I used to be...

See the trap? So and so says you have this; Fill in the blank... when what you really have is: Ignorance as to; What that is and then filling that role after finding out the best you can... Otherwise; You'd actually have IT. Other than that? You are you and always inseparable from being you... Unless; That is: You assume a role.

posted on Oct, 18 2023 @ 03:31 PM
link   
a reply to: dollukka

I got laughed at by my doctor for saying I might have OCD , my problem is when I get into something I don't do it by half and go totally all in .

He laughed when i told him I was addicted to eBay , I just wish he could see the 14 foot high of packing cases of art I have bought since the lock down or all the tools I also aquired , that pile would be higher

Over this side of the pond they have a care factor of 0

posted on Oct, 18 2023 @ 03:41 PM
link   

. Hemp canibinoids seem to lessen the OCD, or at least they seem to take away your ability to see you are doing it. Regular Pot actually makes me get carried away with the OCD and I get nothing accomplished. I just go in circles when High but don't seem to care I am doing that.

Lol I can confirm everyword you said above ,when I smoke a joint or stick it in my coffee I end up turning in circles uttering the dementia alphabet, aaa mmm aha aa , and most of my late night shopping I cannot remember buying when it arrives in the post .

posted on Oct, 18 2023 @ 03:49 PM
link   
a reply to: stonerwilliam

I managed a Picasso engraving(black ink on white art board) with a buy it now for under 100.00 USD as soon as it listed having perused him a few days prior... I'd post an image of it but: Nudity

posted on Oct, 18 2023 @ 05:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Crowfoot

A Picasso for a hundred bucks that is a good case of OCD

When someone came to my house I would get the silent omg treatment at every available inch of wall covered with a picture but at least they have gone up in value since i purchased them , In one box alone I counted 2k plus of pictures, I never bothered counting the rest .

I have been the same even as a kid it started with plastic airfix kits then moved to fly tying , shooting etc etc

posted on Oct, 18 2023 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Crowfoot

If some one were to tell me I had anything mental... lol; I'd ask them what my motivation was; As believing them would be assuming a role, not knowing anything about it.

After having fell for so much leg pulling and out right lies when I was younger; I'm not as a gullible as I used to be...

See the trap? So and so says you have this; Fill in the blank... when what you really have is: Ignorance as to; What that is and then filling that role after finding out the best you can... Otherwise; You'd actually have IT. Other than that? You are you and always inseparable from being you... Unless; That is: You assume a role.

If I don't give in to my intrusive thoughts by handling in a way to lessen them, the anxiety/stress/worry etc will become worse and worse. Giving in to the 'handling' lessens them. The hallmark of OCD sadly.

posted on Oct, 18 2023 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm

Maybe this is out there, have you ever done a parasite cleanse?
A heavy metal detox?

No, it does sound a bit out there . I've had OCD on/off since I was about 15 (now 51). I don't think it's caused by parasites

www.google.com... F30383476%2F%23%3A~%3Atext%3DAlthough%2520the%2520etiology%2520of%2520OCD%2Cof%2520the%2520central%2520nervous%2520system.&usg=AOvVaw2FU8-P2nuEpJz2T7s qHYj8&opi=89978449

Abstract Background and aim: Obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD) is a common neuropsychiatric illness. Although the etiology of OCD is still unknown, recent investigations have associated development of OCD with infectious illness. Toxoplasma gondii (T. gondii) is a neurotropic protozoan parasite that causes infection of the central nervous system. In the last decade, a lot of researches have focused on the possible relationship between exposure to T. gondii and neuropsychiatric disorders such as schizophrenia. Therefore, in this study, it was aimed to investigate a possible association between Toxoplasma infection and OCD in children and adolescents.

Lot’s of additional links in that study. Before you knock it, research the connection first..
also, parasite cleanses are pretty easy, wouldn’t hurt to just try one to see if it makes any difference…

edit on 18-10-2023 by JAGStorm because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 18 2023 @ 10:03 PM
link   

I take NAC every evening and have noticed no change in my OCD. I have had OCD all my life, and I know no other way. I learned long ago to organize everything so it is quickly found. I also found I have the worrier genes full blast, but if you control what you can to lower risk, it is not a problem. The OCD helps me control the stress of daily life, I control the environment I live in. Most people in the worrier genetics category work where they can control their environment, think about an accountant, or a business owner who can control his workers or at least the bosses that control the workers. I have been a boss or business owner most of my working career.

Taurine or NAC seem to have little effect on my OCD. organizing my life makes things easy so the ocd works hand in hand with who I am. It is not so bad having OCD, you just have to learn how to focus it on things and make sure to learn to focus on things that need to be done, not things that do not matter.

NAC and taurine can help to manage stress but that is different than being obsessive and compulsive. Hemp canibinoids seem to lessen the OCD, or at least they seem to take away your ability to see you are doing it. Regular Pot actually makes me get carried away with the OCD and I get nothing accomplished. I just go in circles when High but don't seem to care I am doing that.

I never knew you have OCD as well , sad to hear . I've read you need to take about 3000mg of NAC for it to work with OCD. I've been taking a too low dose as the pills are only 600mg each and taste/smell disgusting. I will need to take 5/day everday and hope it works. I've already bought several jars so will have to give it good go at least.

Also, I spend the summer 5 - 7 weeks organizing a schedule and , off course, re-writing that schedule several times till it was to my liking. And now I never use it, go figure. Too overwhelmed by my OCD and daily work that I can't oversee it atm. I am not organized , everything is a cluttered mess that I'm trying to organize but I can't really seem to get there

Start small with organizing, organize a few things that are the most important, then get used to them and try to determine if it will work around other organizational changes you plan to make. Tools should always go into the same place imediately after you are finished using them. Clutter can overload you if you have OCD. the majority of things need their place, the kitchen and fridge have to be organized to properly cook. OCD becomes more of a problem when you eat highly processed foods too, but I have not yet identified which ones make me worse.

I make a weekly menu I keep on the table every doing it on Sunday morning. It is an eight day menu, the next one starts on Sunday, so I transfer that to the new menu. My food pantry is constantly rotated to keep from having items go past their best by date, or in the case of some things, certain foods have six months past that and some have a year after that date....but I try to size the pantry to keep within the best buy date but some things may be like three months past that.

My wife will testify I am OCD. When we go to the store, I have a list, I get the stuff on the list first, no impulse buying but she does some impulse buying. We shop for our food storage when they are on sale, so sometimes we get a little low on one supply, but we have not had to run to the store for an ingredient while cooking for five or six years now. It really saves on gas. I make the lists to match how the foods are in the stores, so we are not bouncing all over the place, it is totally organized to make the trip efficient. At the end of the store trip list, I also have a stock list which we will sometimes fulfil if we are low enough on stock and the price is reasonable.

I have been organized to excess for over fifty years now. I even stock lots of different types of motor oils and car supplies like antifreezes and brake parts like brake lines and fittings if I do a brake job, just like a mechanic's garage has stocks. I am turning the wife into a little OCD too, she wants to be prepared now more than she ever was.

We started looking for a new kitchen stove at a reasonable price ten years ago....still have not found one we both like. But if we had bought one ten years ago, we would already probably be looking for a new one. We set the thermostat on the stove twenty five degrees above the temperature required, so it is at the right temperature in the oven. Now, I have set the temp ajustment to make up for it at least ten times years ago, it is electronic, when the power goes out for a few hours, you have to reset it again...the old stoves, you turned a little screw behind the nob and it was permanent. All new stoves have this problem with power outages causing a loss of memory, and every stove I ever had needed adjustment right from new to fine tune the heat in the oven...so why should we get a new stove if it will require a new learning curve.

Reading my posts, you should be able to tell I am a little OCD. I can hide it some days, but not all the time. Sometimes I rewrite things many times before posting after checking the wording. Most time to clarify things to others that do not know as much about the subject as I do.....I try not to forget that what I consider as something everyone should know is not actually known by many people...so my posts get long explaining things that others who are not OCD about a subject cannot comprehend. I don't want to confuse people because I forget to explain something I consider common knowledge to everyone yet only people who are well educated in that subject can understand properly

Look at this post, can you tell I am OCD but aware I am and learned how to live with it to avoid frustration over decades?

posted on Oct, 19 2023 @ 03:40 AM
link   
m.youtube.com...

Only being silly, best of luck!

posted on Oct, 19 2023 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Thought doesn't ever accomplish anything with the body... If thought could animate things then: Telekinesis. Premeditated means made a decision to act and then put the body in motion with intention... Without intention it's like a hand that you catch scratching without asking; Who is doing the scratching? The "not self" as Buddhists call it; Mindfulness is watching all of that arise and pass and learning to not interfere or control any of it aka non-attachment...

Emptiness is form; Form none other than emptiness.

Watching breath for instance in another person as a main focus; You'll realize that some people go for hours without breathing not even realizing it. Catching oneself not breathing requires focus on it as; as soon as you do then there exists breathing before then? Who knows? As it is just as absent as the; Itching that already had the hand scratching in unawareness of it...

posted on Oct, 19 2023 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Hi all.

I feel bad posting about myself when there's so much bloodshed going on in the world, ugh, but I have to try to get some treatment.
I'm wondering about if anyone had any success with alternative treatments?

I don't want to take traditional meds, though they may work, I'm just very skeptical of big pharma and all it's tentacles.
I'm taking NAC as I read online that it may help with OCD.

I'm reading about Deep Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation , has anyone tried this?
I would do anything to get rid of this nightmare in my head.

My uncle used to swear by lithium orotate, a simple nutritional supplement available over the counter.

posted on Oct, 19 2023 @ 08:21 PM
link   
First of all, stop taking all stimulants - make your caffeine intake absolute zero. No coffee, no colas (regular or diet).

Next, supplement with 1 tablespoon of high quality fish oil. Also spirulina - take small tablets, never buy powder. Take about 5 grams a day.

Wait 4 months, you will start to see mild improvements. 6 to 9 months you will see bigger changes. For some it takes more than 12 months.

This has been on Huberman’s podcast (about stimulants), and a ton of people have become symptom free or much improved after getting rid of caffeine.

<< 1   >>

join