It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scary Games to play Alone in the Dark

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Just in time for the Halloween season.

Here are some great games to play alone in the dark from the 20 years.

Some are scary, some are creepy and others are just bizarre. All are gold and either worth playing for the first time or revisiting an old favorite. If you have an itch for the spooky or macabre then look no further. Just something I threw together for my channel. I know many have their favorites and if there's enough feedback maybe I'll compile another list based on your responses.

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Good Watch . Shame I went through the video in 3 minutes. (I knew the games at the start of the scenes.).
Here, a possible start to part 2 :
Tormented Souls
Fear the Dark Unknown
The Silent Hill Series
Throwing the STALKER series in
Them And US
Daymare and Daymare 1984
The F.E.A.R series (they still rank)
All best played in the dark with a good set of noise cancelling wireless headset.

edit on 10/6/23 by Gothmog because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 6 2023 @ 07:56 PM
link   
a reply to: SLAYER69

Thanks for this post, a very good idea now that the Halloween season is here! Scary movies are great fun. I absolutely LOVE to dim the lights, make some fresh popcorn, and turn on Halloween, Jaws, Silence of the Lambs, or dozens of other creepy favorites. But being in control of the character in a really well-made & perfectly executed horror game delivers a chilling, unsettling, and disturbing experience on an entirely different, visceral level.

Half Life 2 is a nearly perfect action FPS SciFi game. But within the campaign of this excellent shooter, there's a section of the game where you're forced to follow a blocked off underground tunnel and travel through an abandoned town called Ravenholm. It is pure, undiluted 190-proof nightmare fuel, with monsters lurking in all the shadowy edges of your vision. The unearthly sounds of their slithery movements can be heard constantly, keeping you on edge every second. I'm not timid when it comes to the most intense scenes/chapters of typical games and movies. But that Ravenholm s**t was very unsettling. I remember having to pause the game, and set the controller down until the goosebumps went away.

Valve's Half-Life 2 is a masterpiece, and the Ravenholm segment is pure perfection. Check it out when you can!

Link to Half Life 2, Ravenholm Gameplay on YouTube ---

youtu.be...

But without a doubt, the most bone-chilling, blood curdling, soul-rending horror experience my friends and I EVER had was a nondescript free download on PS4 titled P.T.

Written by Hideo Kojima and Guillermo Del Toro, it was produced by Konami's Kojima Studios as a *P*layable *T*easer to an unannounced, upcoming game in the Silent Hill horror game series, the full game still being in mid-production at the time. The free download dropped without any previous announcement or fanfare, and without any clues, description, or information whatsoever... which all added atmosphere & mystery to the whole thing. It scared the literal bats**t out of us so profoundly that the only way we could make progress was by one of us playing until the electric buzzing of our primal fight-or-flight instinct became unbearable, fueled by intense feelings of dread and imminent danger; then we would quickly pass the controller off to somebody else (more often than not that person would shake their head - "No way, I don't want it!"), and go outside for some cool, fresh air to calm our vibrating nerves. I am not exaggerating here. And fyi, this wasn't a group of timid, easily rattled 9-year-olds who cover their eyes and watch scary movies between our fingers. Present on this night were myself and approximately 3 other guys and 2 or 3 ladies, all between our late 20s and mid-30s in age. We were all movie and game lovers who had built up a pretty strong tolerance to the heebie-jeebies. But HOLY BALLS, this one completely knocked our socks off!!

Unfortunately, the full Silent Hill game from which P.T. was derived was postponed soon after, then delayed indefinitely, and ultimately the game was scrapped. The Playable Teaser disappeared from the PlayStation store, and despite it achieving truly legendary cult status in gaming history, Konami/Kojima have refused at every turn to make any version of it available for play or download. At one point, some fans with coding/programming knowledge got together and managed to recreate the experience, and made it available for people to download and play! Unfortunately, it didn't last. Konami took legal action on copyright grounds, and made sure it was removed & unavailable. What a damn shame!

Link to the Wikipedia entry for P.T. ---

en.wikipedia.org...(video_game)

P.T. Silent Hill Playable Teaser Gameplay on YouTube, without annoying voice-over commentary (An obvious disclaimer here, watching this vid will give you a pretty good idea of how scary and intense it is... but it can't possibly convey the experience of those lucky gamers like myself, who discovered it by accident and actually played it.) ---

youtu.be...

Enjoy! And to you fellow ATSers, I wish you a happy and safe Halloween season.
edit on 1062023 by M4nWithNoN4me because: Fixed Links

posted on Oct, 7 2023 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Condemmed : criminal origins is a good one aswell.

edit on 7-10-2023 by TheGreazel because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2023 @ 04:56 AM
link   

Ha! I thought this thread was about trying to summon demons in a dark room or similar

Cheers

posted on Oct, 7 2023 @ 06:09 AM
link   
a reply to: M4nWithNoN4me

P.T. all the way! I showed up at my friends' house one night (husband/wife, early 30s to late 30s.) They had the lights off, handed me the controller and said to play this game. Creeped me out and really didn't affect me too bad, but a week after playing the game I was by myself and started hearing noises in my head that were in the game. I had to immediately go to a comedy website and read funny/stupid articles to distract myself from the dread I was experiencing. Yeah, P.T. was a mind-f**k for real!

posted on Oct, 7 2023 @ 06:14 AM
link   
Hideo Kojima , one of the all time best.

posted on Oct, 7 2023 @ 08:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gothmog
Good Watch . Shame I went through the video in 3 minutes. (I knew the games at the start of the scenes.).
Here, a possible start to part 2 :
Tormented Souls
Fear the Dark Unknown
The Silent Hill Series
Throwing the STALKER series in
Them And US
Daymare and Daymare 1984
The F.E.A.R series (they still rank)
All best played in the dark with a good set of noise cancelling wireless headset.

Most of which I do have hmmm... FEAR seems to have issues with my present system. May have to dust off and fix the old Geforce-BFG/WinXp system for some gameplay captures. The STALKER series is pretty good. * Now that it's all patched up...Them and US another great suggestion and finally one of my all times favs. Silent Hill

posted on Oct, 7 2023 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Thanks for the feedback, I've thought of doing a scary movie list, showing lesser known B movies which are worth watching. Re- Half Life 2, Ravenholm is just one of many creepy locations within that masterpiece. Some titles are made in an attempt to be scary while others just seem to play well with little effort.

posted on Oct, 7 2023 @ 09:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheGreazel
Condemmed : criminal origins is a good one aswell.

Great suggestion, I dont presently have means to play it.

Spent many a dark night playing through it.

posted on Oct, 7 2023 @ 09:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: F2d5thCavv2

Ha! I thought this thread was about trying to summon demons in a dark room or similar

Cheers

Well

How you spend time passing the night may be worth a thread all on its own

posted on Oct, 7 2023 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Any VR horror game will do. Where else can you feel like you are actually in a room and something could be waiting just around the corner?
Resident Evil in VR will do nicely, but even Half Life Alyx, which is not a horror game per say, can have moments of dread as a face hugged zombies shuffles toward you, all while you are trying to make critical shots to conserve ammo.

I know VR is not for everyone but it does make a horror game more intense. One that had some demented scenes was Until Dawns: Rush of Blood on the PSVR, but of course the video never does a VR game any justice. What you see on screen is just a fraction of the experience the person with the headset is seeing. You do not need a dark room when the headset will emulate one.

edit on 7-10-2023 by TheLieWeLive because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 7 2023 @ 08:47 PM
link   
The list is incomplete without the Quarry and Until Dawn

posted on Oct, 11 2023 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Callisto Protocol is a good one. COmes as part of the games available with PS+ Extra. Maybe not the best game I've played, but plenty of scares and a creepy atmosphere

posted on Oct, 20 2023 @ 04:13 PM
link   
Shameless plug while ATS straightens itself out. This looks like it's gonna be a good game...

posted on Oct, 24 2023 @ 09:56 AM
link   

This was a short fun, and at times hilariously frustrating adventure for me trying to help get little Jimmy (Urban Explorer Extraordinaire) home safe during the Zombie apocalypse outbreak.

A twelve-year-old boy, Jimmy, searches for a way home to his mom at the very beginning of the apocalypse. Embark with him on an atmospheric journey filled with the unknown

posted on Oct, 26 2023 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Heres a couple for the Halloween season

Fresh off the press

posted on Oct, 28 2023 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Falling asleep in a Motel... Only to wake up and find a Gideon in the drawer.

posted on Oct, 28 2023 @ 11:09 AM
link   
Looks like I'll dive into Alan Wake 2 this weekend. I loved the first, plus Control is an excellent game that shares the Alan Wake universe

posted on Oct, 30 2023 @ 02:30 PM
link   
a reply to: vlawde

It's not in my Budget but I'm planning on getting it soon = When I'm not so broke

Heres something for the Halloween season

Mist Survival is set in a world torn by a virus outbreak, to survive the player must hoard food and water, find shelter and protect themselves not only from the wildlife and bandits but from the infected lurking in the shadows.

edit on 10/26/2023 by SLAYER69 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join