It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Met police request support from army after officers down firearms

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 06:38 AM
link   

The Metropolitan police has called on the SAS to provide counter-terrorism support after firearms officers downed their weapons in protest at the charging of their colleague with murder.

Suella Braverman ordered a review of armed policing to calm a growing rebellion of about 100 officers over the charging on Wednesday of an officer for the murder of 24-year-old Chris Kaba, an unarmed man killed last September by a single shot to the head.

Met commissioner Sir Mark Rowley called for greater protections for armed officers, accusing the police watchdog of being too quick to criminally investigate those who use force.

The scale and speed of the protest by Met armed officers prompted the home secretary to order an emergency review of armed policing, with several sources telling the Guardian there were fears the rebellion could spread further within the Met and around the country.

Met police request support from army after officers down firearms

Makes you wonder why a single shot into an unarmed man's head doesn't scream for an investigation, doesn't it? Well, I don't think racial profiling was supposed to single out people for headshots, either. So much for the systemic abuse at play here, I guess?

Have at it!

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: Insurrectile
AND! That's how quick they can get the army on the ground. Not like a few years ago when something happened, the answer was "but we've got to think on the logistics, it will take time". AND! This is the UK we're talking about, the US armed forces will be deployed just as quick.

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Its ridiculous.
The SAS arent trained to be cops, they are just trained to kill folks.

Hope I am wrong but I can see this ending up in another bloody sunday thing.
edit on 20pTue, 26 Sep 2023 07:11:20 -050020232023-09-26T07:11:20-05:00kAmerica/Chicago30000000k by SprocketUK because: spelling

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: SprocketUK

And who's going to get the blame for that? The racist cop, a racists system of policing or the soldiers who never joined forces to shoot at Brits in the first place?

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 07:11 AM
link   

the poor bloody squaddies like always

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Hadn't heard of this, so I had to go look it up.

On 5 September 2022, Chris Kaba, a 24-year-old man and member of the rap group 67, was shot dead by police in Streatham Hill, London, England. The car he was driving, an Audi Q8, was believed by police to have been linked to a "firearms incident" the day before. On the day of the shooting, the Audi was followed by an unmarked police car until it was met by a police road block. Armed police who had been in a marked car approached on foot. Witnesses said that Kaba refused to leave his car and drove it into one of the police cars, one of the armed officers fired a single round at Kaba through the car windscreen. He was taken to hospital but died of his injuries the following day. The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) then began an investigation into the shooting.

In the U.S. ALL the cops would have opened fire and then be hailed as heroes, while hiding behind their qualified immunity.

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 07:14 AM
link   

You can just see this ending badly.

I mean what could possibly go wrong?

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 07:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: DAVID64
Hadn't heard of this, so I had to go look it up.

On 5 September 2022, Chris Kaba, a 24-year-old man and member of the rap group 67, was shot dead by police in Streatham Hill, London, England. The car he was driving, an Audi Q8, was believed by police to have been linked to a "firearms incident" the day before. On the day of the shooting, the Audi was followed by an unmarked police car until it was met by a police road block. Armed police who had been in a marked car approached on foot. Witnesses said that Kaba refused to leave his car and drove it into one of the police cars, one of the armed officers fired a single round at Kaba through the car windscreen. He was taken to hospital but died of his injuries the following day. The Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) then began an investigation into the shooting.

In the U.S. ALL the cops would have opened fire and then be hailed as heroes, while hiding behind their qualified immunity.

And they would have taken the shots from behind cover of a police cruiser.

127 round later (four hitting the vehicle, one hitting the "perp") they'd throw a pizza party for the local office

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 07:20 AM
link   

Interesting how you present only part of the information on the shooting incident.

The vehicle involved was suspected being involved in firearm incident from the day before. The driver was followed to a roadblock. The police approached the vehicle on foot. He refused to get out of the vehicle and proceeded to ram a police car with his car in an attempt to flee the roadblock.

Not sure of the law in the UK but that is considered attacking the police with a deadly weapon in the USA and the resultimg shooting was to be expected. I am not saying racial profiling was not involved but the shooting was not of a random person for no reason.

www.standard.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 07:30 AM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge2

Interesting how you present only part of the information on the shooting incident.

Not my article, dude. But thanks for that, I guess?

I am not saying racial profiling was not involved but the shooting was not of a random person for no reason.

Not sure what you've learned in police school, but that's not our topic either. Is it?

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 07:33 AM
link   
I can see why the armed police took that decision, because they were demonised. Look at the story, trial by media again. Jump to the conclusion that it was murder.
The story:- no matter who was in the car, it could have been any body. 1. the car was identified as a vehicle that was involved in a firearms incident the day before. Why was Kaba driving this car? 2. The police decided to stop the car and arrest the driver. 3. Kaba crashed into police vehicles. An attempt to evade capture? 4. The officer that shot Kaba was standing in front of his car. Was the officer in fear of his life thinking that the car would be driven at him? If so then it could be said that he fired in self defence.

But his family (like the Floyd case) is after blood "we will not rest until the people responsible for Chris,s death are held fully responsible". But was he innocent? He was driving a vehicle tagged with gun crime and he used that vehicle to crash into police cars?????

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 07:36 AM
link   

originally posted by: Insurrectile

Not my article, dude. But thanks for that, I guess?

I am not saying racial profiling was not involved but the shooting was not of a random person for no reason.

Not sure what you've learned in police school, but that's not our topic either. Is it?

I find it interesting how you think the background of your topic and discussion form another point of view is not on topic of this discussion. I do understand that you chose to link to an article that is not presenting the background for the murder investigation.

Again, one sided and leaving out information.

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Maybe this isn't about another forking investigation only, detective?

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 07:40 AM
link   
a reply to: DAVID64

Yes they would, and rightly so. A vehicle is a deadly threat.

It's that simple.

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 07:42 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

Justified action by the police. Why is this even being discussed?

If he had been a white man, this would not even be on the news. So who is racist?

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 07:44 AM
link   

The only racial profiling I see in this story is the fact that if it was a white guy shot, it would not have made the news. Because it is a justifiable police action, except it was a minority person.

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 07:45 AM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

In the US, the perp would likely have been armed and even more dangerous.

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 07:46 AM
link   
a reply to: crayzeed

Did I miss anything about warning shots being fired?

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Who says warning shots must be fired? Stray bullets come down. 'Warning' shots risk others.

What BS! Dude committed suicide by cop. Get over it.

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 07:48 AM
link   
Enough of the Met Police have returned so army/military was stood down yesterday.
Link to BBC
Rainbows
Jane

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join