It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A court in China sentences a famed Uyghur scholar to life in prison, foundation says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 23 2023 @ 11:48 PM
link   
apnews.com... .

BEIJING (AP) — A prominent Uyghur scholar specializing in the study of her people’s folklore and traditions has been sentenced to life in prison, according to a U.S.-based foundation that works on human rights cases in China.

Rahile Dawut was convicted on charges of endangering state security in December 2018 in a secret trial, the San Francisco-based Dui Hua Foundation said in a statement Thursday. Dawut appealed but her conviction was upheld, the foundation said.

“The sentencing of Professor Rahile Dawut to life in prison is a cruel tragedy, a great loss for the Uyghur people, and for all who treasure academic freedom,” John Kamm, executive director of the Dui Hua Foundation, said in a statement.

Dawut was a professor at Xinjiang University and founder of the school’s Ethnic Minorities Folklore Research Center. She disappeared in late 2017 amid a brutal government crackdown aimed at the Uyghurs, a Turkic, predominately Muslim ethnicity native to China’s northwest Xinjiang region.

China has been accused of genocide against the Uyghurs and other Muslim ethnic groups in Xinjiang and crimes against humanity. It is believed that over a million people (mostly Uyghurs) have been detained against their will in the last few years and imprisoned in special re-education camps with torture and killings to be part of this re-education program. The Chinese State regards Uyghurs as a serious threat to its national security and sees them and their organisations as separatists with the area of Xinjiang to be autonomous and home to many ethnic minority groups (mostly Turkic people).

posted on Sep, 24 2023 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Yea, the problem is that the US never uses any financial or diplomatic punishments on countries that are committing genocide…and I mean actual genocide Gen Z! Iran killing gays, China killing Uyghurs, Hutu killing Tutsi, you name it!

posted on Sep, 24 2023 @ 12:05 AM
link   
a reply to: Muldar

China sees freaking Tibetan monks as threats. There might be an epidemic of firey self-immolation...

China can pound sand. Beijing has issues. The weegers (spelled phonetically) should have autonomy. They don't even look Chinese. Well, a little, if it was heavily diluted with Russian and converted to Islam.

I'm being silly here but this is one of these things you only know exist because of NPR or BBC World Service.

edit on 24-9-2023 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 24 2023 @ 01:31 AM
link   

Trudeau has admitted he admires China's dicatatorship. Yet , some people, still won't admit how sick and self-serving these psychopaths are . Biden , and many others in the US government , are also in China's backpockets . I bet Biden won't be losing sleep over this

posted on Sep, 24 2023 @ 02:41 AM
link   
a reply to: ancientlight

When Jordan Peterson's "retraining" doesn't take, I'm sure Trudeau's government and court system will work to get him off the streets as well.

posted on Sep, 24 2023 @ 09:00 AM
link   

I remember seeing the pictures of all the Uyghurs sitting shackled with bags over their heads a couple years back. Im surprised the CCP ever let that information slip out.

Imagine if the US gov held all these people crossing the southern border in the same way these Uyghurs are being held. People would lose their heads

posted on Sep, 24 2023 @ 10:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: PleiadianPlaya

I remember seeing the pictures of all the Uyghurs sitting shackled with bags over their heads a couple years back. Im surprised the CCP ever let that information slip out.

Imagine if the US gov held all these people crossing the southern border in the same way these Uyghurs are being held. People would lose their heads

This
Yet , US relations with China seem to be doing just self-serving fine

posted on Sep, 24 2023 @ 10:28 AM
link   
One would think genocide would be a deal-breaker for doing any business whatsoever. It's one of the very few things both administrations agreed was happening.

Imagine going back to 1950 and saying, "Genocide, you say? Well, it depends..."

posted on Sep, 24 2023 @ 12:00 PM
link   
This is what happens when you open the door of violating rights for "safety".

The definition of safety quickly expands to anything the current administration does not like.

Where is the BBC special about this violation?

posted on Sep, 25 2023 @ 09:45 AM
link   
We would care more if they were not Muslim.

Its appalling. My heart breaks for these people.

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 06:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Daughter2
This is what happens when you open the door of violating rights for "safety".

The definition of safety quickly expands to anything the current administration does not like.

Where is the BBC special about this violation?

Well done for the comment!

I don't know about the BBC but the rest of the MSM are absent and are chasing Russell Brand at the moment...

posted on Sep, 26 2023 @ 06:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: CoyoteAngels
We would care more if they were not Muslim.

Its appalling. My heart breaks for these people.

I can't remember how many times I ve read about the kind of 'treatments' they ve been getting from the Chinese Authorities. There rest of the world is silent (at least at an official level). Independent media here in the West are quite vocal to be honest.

top topics

join