It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Orange County Schoolboard Bucks Trend and Cancels Gender

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 9 2023 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Santa Ana (AP) Rancho de Esclavas Middle School, which serves rural parts of Orange County in California, voted two weeks ago 4-1 to end the ongoing debate that had derailed several PTA Meetings. Starting immediately, the school will effectively ban reference to gender entirely.

"We really had no choice, after our library added the book, What Is The Weird Belt In My Mommies' Dresser, our hands became tied."

The plan, laid out to parents last night, will include new designations, protocols, and enforcement procedures.

"Yelling and screaming were common when the subject of pronouns, sex-ed curriculum, and transathletes came up, so we figured if we cancel gender, and take away sports and bathrooms, this problem will take care of itself," said Lorenzo Salazar, Vice Principal.

When pressed on resistance they might encounter, he responded, "That's why we brought in the Germans. Their counseling style fits well to keep order. And we also have the obstinate room. Having them on board, and the addition of the armed guards, and 14 foot electrified fence, has really stopped all the opposition."

When asked of the bathrooms he said, "We sold the fixtures and rented port-o-potties. It was much easier."

A point of heavy criticism has been the checkpoint. According to new rules nothing to designate gender can exist. Including clothing and hair. They must be checked in as gender neutral.

"To solve this we made the uniform shower caps, bathrobes, and slippers. Duct tape will be used to restrain identifiable features. Of course teachers will to wear them too."

The subject of parents objecting has also been a point of concern.

"We have a very integrated drop-off checkpoint. Parents need to have their kids released. We know it's harsh, but we were sick of the subject of gender. We even went as far as to eliminate Spanish class until such time the language is no longer gender specific."

Despite heavy criticism the school insists they will move forward with their plans.

"We couldn't handle it, they are all children. So we used the money from canceling gender to make this work."

It been implemented for less than two weeks and so far signs are encouraging.

"Since the changes, we haven't had a complaint about trans-student/athlete rights, indoctrination, or been called groomers once. So long as everyone wears robes, shower caps, duct tape, and sandals, and we call ourselfs gender neutral pronouns, this can possibly maintain some sanity."

Time will indeed tell.
edit on 9-9-2023 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2023 @ 09:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Degradation33

One of the complaints about private school is the uniforms and lack of freedom for kids to express themselves.
Seems like an inversion of sorts.

I love separation of church and state, but what happens when the state becomes the church?

posted on Sep, 9 2023 @ 10:43 PM
link   

Pronouns have always bugged me.
He, She, It
We, They

Referring to a single person as It just doesn't seem right.
Referring to a single person as They is just grammatically incorrect.

How does the school fix that?

Please tell me they aren't eliminating the singular altogether! (Rand, Anthem)

edit on 9-9-2023 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2023 @ 10:55 PM
link   

originally posted by: pthena

Pronouns have always bugged me.
He, She, It
We, They

Referring to a single person as It just doesn't seem right.
Referring to a single person as They is just grammatically incorrect.

How does the school fix that?

Please tell me they aren't eliminating the singular altogether! (Rand, Anthem)

It’s not a new thing.

The earliest recorded use of “they” as a gender neutral personal pronoun was in the 14th century in a French poem called William the Werewolf. Xe Ze Phe Er Ou And ne. There was a brief attempt to use one gender neutral pronoun in the 1880s called “thon”, but it didn't become popular.

lbgtq.mit.edu... ractices.pdf

The link doesn’t seem to work. I tried to correct it.

edit on 9-9-2023 by Annee because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2023 @ 11:27 PM
link   
MOD NOTE

As this is in the SHORT STORIES SUBFORUM-----
If this is a work of fiction, posts should reflect that, and not make this a real story.......

YOU are responsible for your own posts

And, as always...
Do not reply to this post.

edit on Sat Sep 9 2023 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 9 2023 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Haha! Did you write this for The Onion or Cracked?

posted on Sep, 9 2023 @ 11:46 PM
link   
a reply to: AdifferentOpinion

In the style of both. Thank You. This one was fun.

My editing sucks, that's gonna bug me.
edit on 10-9-2023 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2023 @ 08:27 AM
link   

I didn't realize it was in the short stories forum, but it was fairly obvious to me about three paragraphs in that we were dealing with an attempt at satire.

posted on Sep, 10 2023 @ 08:33 AM
link   

It would have been more believable if you had substituted the Chinese for the Germans.

posted on Sep, 10 2023 @ 10:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Observationalist

I love separation of church and state, but what happens when the state becomes the church?

This is going to be tricky, staying within the bounds of fiction.
======
So Billy was a little bit disturbed about pledging allegiance to a flag and republic. It just didn't seem right, he just couldn't do it.

His problems went away in 1954 when the words "under God" were added. He remembered that there was a saying "Give unto Caeser the things that are Caeser's and unto God the things that are God's"

Later in life, after helpful group therapy where he heard about "higher power" and the permission to mentally substitute words for words, he was so relieved that he wouldn't have a problem going forward.
======
Yes Billy, there is something bigger than the State.
edit on 10-9-2023 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2023 @ 08:19 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena, Incoserv, TonyS

I really didn't think it through beyond, "Wouldn't it be funny to try to do an Onion style story on a school banning gender after getting fed up with dealing with the issue. And then bring in Germans to enforce the non-designation."

Which I feel are funnier than Chinese in that position.

What's the most humorously German thing ever?

To make a physics thought experiment still reference torturing something. "Ve must slowly poison ze cat with un cesium isotope".

I was just having fun. Meant to be satire, but may have been overly silly or stupid with it.

posted on Sep, 10 2023 @ 08:39 PM
link   

And I was having fun with the pronouns.

I was thinking of doing a SFi story, but really could not come up with any remotely plausible scenario that would get me to the final scene.

posted on Sep, 10 2023 @ 09:08 PM
link   
a reply to: pthena

It's fun to have fun, especially with validation heavy pronouns.

I was thinking of doing a SFi story, but really could not come up with any remotely plausible scenario that would get me to the final scene.

That's what the "deus ex machina" device is for... but you're a wolf, so I guess it would be Lupus (Canis) Ex Machina in your situation. Just make something absurd up.

It's more fun to have fun here and avoid reasons to get pissed at other people.

I'm having fun making an internet brand profile (South Park reference) with AI photos. This is first one not changed and over 15% similarity. Or not an off the grid result that rendered a scary looking dark haired girl. Hopefully it will just blend in as another BS online avatar. I figured since you called attention to your avatar change, I'd call attention to mine.

posted on Sep, 10 2023 @ 10:45 PM
link   

but you're a wolf, so I guess it would be Lupus (Canis) Ex Machina in your situation. Just make something absurd up.

Coyote actually. I'm like many generation (French & Indian War) North American. It's just a matter of time that environment mutates the family line. Coyote actually evolved in North America.

Just make something absurd up.

I was actually working on a piece before posting on the other thread. I was 4 paragraphs into writing Uberman - The Psychotic Advantage. Just coincidence I'm sure.

It was going to be quite horrifying, much worse than the Hubris story. But now that I've shot the wad premature like, I'm just waiting for something else to catch my attention.

I figured since you called attention to your avatar change, I'd call attention to mine.

Your current one looks good

edit on 10-9-2023 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 10 2023 @ 10:54 PM
link   

I just assumed wolf. Coyote would be canis then.

I'm liking the writing forum more lately. I'm hitting a writers block with things not satire, or my attempt at as much. Gives me more ideas. Everything else gets formulaic like an M Night Shallamallama movie. Reused devices are a bane.

And thank you, I'm glad my AI likeness doesn't look objectionable.

posted on Sep, 11 2023 @ 02:50 AM
link   

Your current one looks good

And in a paranoid parallel universe, where everything is about me, it's inspirational and important.
edit on 11-9-2023 by Degradation33 because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 11 2023 @ 07:49 AM
link   

It is inspirational,
so maybe I'll rework Uberman, and then maybe Dinosaurs,
Diplodocus and Dark Matter.

join