It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tough conversations.

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 07:54 PM
link   
Recently I was talking to my brother about what his plan was if the nukes started dropping (or insert any collapse of society you prefer).

He didn't have a plan. He has a 3 yr old son. He swore to think it through and coordinate with his nearby friends.

My plan is to camp in the State forest behind me for 2 weeks while the idiots kill each other. Then I'll make my way towards him because he'll need help.

I was discussing this with another friend. She wanted to know why I didn't plan to go help her.

She's cool, but she's morbidly obese and has several other health conditions. I'm too polite to tell hell she's not going to make it if it comes to that. But also she'd be a liability that will get others killed.

Like my dog, I love him, but he's pretty useless and would likely put me in greater danger.

Has anyone else encountered this type of situation?

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 08:04 PM
link   
Not nukes I don't think that mate.

I'm thinking Mass Power Outage combined with a True Biological Outbreak. But you see that is why there is such a push for full electric Everything , Cars , Stoves etc etc etc .

So when the Grid goes down everyone will be truly helpless . Then comes a Deadly Biological Outbreak and people will simply die in the dark.

Stock up on Canned foods the shelf life is basically indefinite.

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 08:11 PM
link   
a reply to: asabuvsobelow

Yeah, I think EMPs or hacking of power stations is more likely. But the result will be mostly the same.

Without electricity the US population will reduce itself by 2/3 within 2 weeks.

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I love this topic !! Your zombie / whatever team!!
I only have a plan for myself and my daughter 21 and son 18. Anyone else close to me would be a liability. And I would have to play it by ear depending on who I am with and when or what happens to decide if they are taken with me and my son and daughter. The likely answer is no. It’s me and my son and daughter. a reply to: watchitburn

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I tend to agree that everyone is intelligent enough to not “repeat history” and mike the planet… in that scenario less than 1% will survive long term…

I also truly believe that as soon as the power goes out for wide swaths of society it will take less than two weeks for the overwhelming majority to sort themselves into a grave…

I could easily see an EMP whether naturally occurring or enemy based taking out entire nations… or “acts of God” that are actually “weather weapons”…

That aside though when we get into true survival mode “feelings” will get you killed… half of Americans won’t make it a week without their meds or devices… and if you’re not already ready for it and don’t need help you probably aren’t going to make it… you can love your family and friends all you want… but there’s a better than good chance helping them will get you killed and only prolong their survival days longer at best…

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 08:18 PM
link   
a reply to: TacoLoco75

That sounds like my thought process. There's people you just know are going to be a liability or won't make it.

It's sad, but just reality.

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 08:22 PM
link   

Very well put.

It's unfortunate, but those who are prepared will be faced with some tough decisions.

I'm not looking forward to it. It makes me very sad to see the state our country is in.

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: watchitburn

That sounds like my thought process. There's people you just know are going to be a liability or won't make it.

It's sad, but just reality.

It becomes Cold and logical at that point . Yes Loved ones are your priority but the only way to keep them alive is through a Kill or be killed approach.

I've got go bags , Food , Water and other essentials . I've got escape routes mapped out and exit strategies and everyone at that point is a threat.

The Military , The Zombie survival guide and the Walking Dead taught me many things.

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I am betting that more than 50 percent of the population will be gone before I truly have to go full survival mode. Too many people who need medication , cannot handle a weapon , and are just plain weak minded and weak physically.
The real battle will be with those that are hardened like yourself and are ready. a reply to: SwissMarked

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 08:53 PM
link   
I hope and pray if it comes to nukes flying I'll be at ground zero; same wit Yellowstone erupting, and I'm close enough to qualify.

There is evidence of more than one cataclysmic event in our past, with stories of the few survivors going underground to survive; Hopi's are one who have such legends.

History always repeats itself. People continue to make the same mistakes in life over and over-until they learn the lesson those mistakes are meant to teach them.
Man has not learned from the mistake of ruling through violence and destruction of our environment, so here we are again....at the crossroads of decision.

There are ancient underground tunnels and huge cities all over the world; archeologists 'supposedly' have no idea how or why they were created and abandoned.

In a 'worst case' scenario, history tells us the best-maybe the only chance-of survival is escaping whatever life-endangering conditions exist on the surface for an extended period.

Government officials have underground facilities to survive in for years, if need be. The have the Svalbard Global Seed Vault to do a hard restart when the danger has passed.

If I really wanted to survive and live in/through an apocalypse I'd start digging now; fast and deep.

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 08:57 PM
link   

originally posted by: TacoLoco75
I am betting that more than 50 percent of the population will be gone before I truly have to go full survival mode. Too many people who need medication , cannot handle a weapon , and are just plain weak minded and weak physically.
The real battle will be with those that are hardened like yourself and are ready. a reply to: SwissMarked

I’m of the thinking that most that make it through the initial drop off will be aware that those that have survived did so for a reason and won’t necessarily view others as a threat…

Most thugs aren’t going to make it and will off each other scrambling to get what they need to make it another day and no matter how prepared one may be we all have our own strengths and weaknesses… the more “survivors” you can band together that have unique skill sets the better off you’ll be…

It would be nice to have a nearby network of like minded individuals… but as of now there’s two people I have to worry myself with outside of myself that are both “detriments” for the time being but we also have to live life as though things might not go south too (even if we believe they will)… I really thought things were going to get bad quickly in 2007-8 and we “dodged a bullet”… so while I now have more than myself to worry about should things come to it I also know I’m prepared to do whatever I must to ensure I see tomorrow because as much as it sucks without me in that scenario the other two probably won’t make it through a night…

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 09:09 PM
link   
a reply to: watchitburn

3 days and people loose it from my observations, and that was just from a power outage that happened regularly in a bad winter , turn off the water and radio and it would happen sooner , it was weird watching posh people turn nasty and feral demanding to know how I still had power ,heat and a television running .

Your dog mmm do you want a recipe Hong Kong style , waste not want not , the cats get it first though , I started stocking up long ago and would get out to the country very easy with running water away from the crowd 2 to 3 months supplies ,fishing rod and line and head for the hills .

I have been offered a decent size boat by a family member which would make travelling a lot easier in my location and in a severe lock down is a no brainer for travelling in my neck of the woods .

You will find 99 % of people would never think of these things and imagine the government will come to their aid they will be dead or crazy within a week .

Some people were meant to be survivors others were meant to be victims , if I live to see the end of the world party I know I will be a different creature that there is no coming back from but the last 6.5 years has taught me one thing 99 % of the people that had as many heart attacks as I did are dead now and the doctors are writing science papers about me

I am one of life's survivors it seems
edit on 2/9/2023 by stonerwilliam because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 09:15 PM
link   
Who’s to say anybody on here would be strong enough to be able to survive such situations? You don’t know how you would respond or act until you’re there in the situation for real and not pondering about it. That is, Should such a thing even happen in the first place. Everybody loves to think they’ll be stronger than everybody else and survive with no problems because they’re special or better but how do you know for sure?

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 09:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Techno92LFC
Who’s to say anybody on here would be strong enough to be able to survive such situations? You don’t know how you would respond or act until you’re there in the situation for real and not pondering about it. That is, Should such a thing even happen in the first place. Everybody loves to think they’ll be stronger than everybody else and survive with no problems because they’re special or better but how do you know for sure?

You do “dry runs”… you see how long you can go without food… how long without water “just in case”… you forage… you start fires… you purify water… you build shelters… and on and on… you do it with nothing or next to nothing because even if you have a storage of supplies or build up of canned goods you can rely on being able to “shelter in place”… if you’re have to run all of the “prepping” is for nothing (not saying that it’s a bad idea but always have a back up and a backup to that backup… and a contingency to that one)…

Some of us have unfortunately been placed in situations where you “do or die”… and are still here… and if you think it’s going to be easy or you’re “special” odds are you won’t bother preparing for anything because “it won’t happen to you”…

There are always variables that can make things worse or more difficult… but as I’ve said… I’m still here… so I don’t sweat the collapse of “civilization”… I look forward to it… 😜👍

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 09:32 PM
link   
I remember way back when FEMA first issued their evacuation plans for the nations metro areas. I lived in the East Bay side of San Francisco Bay and thought I would look up my escape route. It turned out to be the escape route for about 50 % of the people in the Bay Area. At least.

That escape route would need for all those on the western side of the bay to travel across a couple of four lane bridges and pass right by my house. Right by my house where they would find themselves fighting for freeway space with those of us who already lived on that side of the bay.

The escape route had us all directed to drive on the freeway up over the Hayward hills with two lanes headed east and two lanes headed west, the eastern direction being the direction to take to get out of the Bay 'Area.

The freeway traveled through the LIvermore Valley for about twenty minuets at 65 mph and then on up the Altamont Hills which eventually came down again on the eastern side and the Sacramento area.

I thought to myself, where would those pesky Ruskies drop their nukes if they wanted to. On San Franciso? Maybe, maybe not as there were no military targets there. In the East Bay, nope no targets here either except for us civilians. The West Bay? Nope more civilians . So where would they want to bomb.

Military targets? Air Force bases? Nope none of those either. Nuclear power plants? Nope none around. So what target would be on the top of their list for destruction. Ahh, sez I to my self. The major target would be the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, where they designed weapons.

And where was that? Right next to the freeway heading east out of the Livermore Valley.

Yeah, great plan FEMA

My point being that if things go nuclear, there is a high potential that plans to hide out in a nearby forest sounds good if one is Robin Hood hiding from the Sheriff of Nottingham, but other than that, if nukes begin to fall in the US, it won't be just here or there, it will be everywhere and any hopes for survivors living any sort of life other than a short term nightmare is pure delusion. That is of course unless you are rich enough to have a fully contained shelter equipped to provide for your and yours for a long time.

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 09:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Techno92LFC

Test yourself !

Don't eat for a month ,turn off the power now and again , deprive yourself of sleep , it is not the dog in the fight it is the fight in the dog

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 09:57 PM
link   
If where talking nukes ... Yea I'm done

I'm on the first strike list almost every direction of me is to

Might be better to run closer to the bomb than away

Area 51 nelis Nevada test site Hawthorne navel base Roswell yea it will be a ring of fire around me death from radiation poisoning is slow I'll pass

I sopose I could hide in a mine shaft if I have the time but even then your trading one bad scenario for another

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 10:01 PM
link   
a reply to: TerryMcGuire

Nuke is the one scenario where realistically speaking you off as well just tuck your head between your legs and start kissing… even if you make it through the initial blast the fall out and radiation poisoning probably won’t give you anything more than a wish for death…

I honestly thing the most likely “doomsday scenario” is EMP… there’s always a chance of “Yellowstone” deal but again for most in the U.S. just pucker up…

edit on 2-9-2023 by SwissMarked because: (no reason given)

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 10:28 PM
link   
I've always said that in the event of a nuclear strike, I would locate ground zero and get there before the detonation if possible.

posted on Sep, 2 2023 @ 10:47 PM
link   
I should have made a bunker when I built my house. I have a basement anyway.

I should invest in an airtight woodstove for the dining room because if I fire up that kitchen stove, it will suck air into the house which would contain traces of radiation. It needs outside combustion air directly into the stove, impossible with the old fifties style cookstove I presently have.

<<   2  3 >>

join