It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

AH HA Paper Straws Have Forever Chemicals, Worse than Plastic Straws

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 10:30 PM
link   
www.usatoday.com...

Paper straws, on the other hand, were the most likely to contain PFAS, with 18 out of 20, or 90%, of paper brands testing positive.

I never jumped on this bandwagon. No way I’m going to drink my lovely iced drink out of a soggy nasty straw while real environmental damage is done by companies.
I’m not cool with the glass or metal straws either. I think both are an accident waiting to happen.
Plastic straws are perfect and don’t need fixing.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 10:34 PM
link   
I am shocked shocked I say...

The wild eyed leftists were wrong again, next you will tell me the sun rises in the east and sets in the west.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 10:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: Irishhaf
I am shocked shocked I say...

The wild eyed leftists were wrong again, next you will tell me the sun rises in the east and sets in the west.

The first time I used a paper straw I seriously thought, who was the idiot that came up with this?
It got soggy, it stuck to my lip, it made the drink taste weird, it messes with carbonated drinks.

Add the adult sippie cups to the list.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 10:35 PM
link   
Well, I suppose they make them out of recycled paper and cardboard which contains tape and other plasticizers. I bet the microparticles of plastic are not bound to the paper well and that means they are released into the fluid easier when it is sucked through the straw.

So, this is very possibly true. Way less plastic which is more bioavailable can do much more damage.

Just don't use a straw, drink from a glass glass when you drink something. I bet this applies to paper cups also.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 10:36 PM
link   

originally posted by: rickymouse
Well, I suppose they make them out of recycled paper and cardboard which contains tape and other plasticizers. I bet the microparticles of plastic are not bound to the paper well and that means they are released into the fluid easier when it is sucked through the straw.

So, this is very possibly true. Way less plastic which is more bioavailable can do much more damage.

Just don't use a straw, drink from a glass glass when you drink something. I bet this applies to paper cups also.

I drink out of glass at home but when out I do like a plastic straw.

posted on Aug, 29 2023 @ 10:50 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

OP you should've set one guideline for this thread.

All member points of view must some how present a strawman argument in
the first post. I got nothin else.

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 12:12 AM
link   
a reply to: rickymouse

It has nothing to do with plasticizers or recycling paper. The waterproofing chemicals used on the straws cause cancer.

Paper cups and glasses are harmless as they are coated with wax. It is not possible to wax coat the straws due to size.

While glass and stainless straws are chemically safe, there has been at least one confirmed death by penitration through eyesocket into the brain. They slipped while carrying a glass with a metal straw in it.

The best I can recommend is silicone. Chemically inert and bendable enough to be safe for your brain.
edit on 30-8-2023 by beyondknowledge2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge2

It is not possible to wax coat the straws due to size.

Why not ?
A lot smaller objects are coated both inside and out.
I will explain why ,
Companies wanna go cheap as hell .
Damn the consumer , as they have already made their money .

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 12:28 AM
link   
a reply to: beyondknowledge2

It is not possible to wax coat the straws due to size.

Why not ?
A lot smaller objects are coated both inside and out.
I will explain why ,
Companies wanna go cheap as hell .
Damn the consumer , as they have already took their money .

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 12:42 AM
link   

I didn’t see this coming, I hated them because they were terrible. We went from plastic straws wrapped in paper to paper straws wrapped in plastic…..never made much sense to me.

Funny enough, some restaurants where I live will make a point to tell you they have plastic straws, not “that paper #” when they ask if you would like one haha, been that way for a while and I love it.

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 06:13 AM
link   
I never wore a mask, therefore I have some pollution points to spare.
I spend them on illegal plastic straws from ebay for £1.99 delivered.

Also I use them due to very sensitive teeth, not because I LiKe sTRaWS. Ha.

I am evil!

😎👹

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Just drink from the glass. No need for a straw most of the time anyways.

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 07:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: JAGStorm
www.usatoday.com...

Paper straws, on the other hand, were the most likely to contain PFAS, with 18 out of 20, or 90%, of paper brands testing positive.

I never jumped on this bandwagon. No way I’m going to drink my lovely iced drink out of a soggy nasty straw while real environmental damage is done by companies.
I’m not cool with the glass or metal straws either. I think both are an accident waiting to happen.
Plastic straws are perfect and don’t need fixing.

The “Save the Planet” liberal dillwads always think they are right and always think they are working in everyone’s best interest whether you want them to or not.

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 07:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

Two reasons against your two points. But only in my particular case.

I can't drink from a glass because I developed Bell's Palsy a few years back and the left side of my face is numb and that tends to make me drool. Not a good look for me as an adult. And I'm not that old to be drooling yet!

The second reason I starting drinking with a straw is because, back in the 1980's, I was in this rock and roll band where I was the lead singer and the lead guitarist. I also ran the sound and played some keyboards. There was no time to get a drink, even between songs, because I would be adjusting the sound or picking the next song. I solved the problem by drinking during the guitar solo by bending over my drink and using a straw, which didn't take any hands. Well, it's worked pretty good for me!

So now, for better or worse, I'm stuck with using a straw.

TCB
edit on 30-8-2023 by TrulyColorBlind because: Clarification.

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 08:00 AM
link   

originally posted by: FlyersFan

I like the way drinks taste in a straw vs a cup, and yes there is a difference.

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 09:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: TrulyColorBlind
I solved the problem by drinking during the guitar solo by bending over my drink and using a straw...

I'm a true fan of a good guitar solo and your straw trick is best compared to a performance by Jimi Hendrix playing with his teeth!

posted on Aug, 30 2023 @ 01:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: LogicalGraphitti

originally posted by: TrulyColorBlind
I solved the problem by drinking during the guitar solo by bending over my drink and using a straw...

I'm a true fan of a good guitar solo and your straw trick is best compared to a performance by Jimi Hendrix playing with his teeth!

Thank you! Just to have Jimi's name and mine in the same comment is quite an honor for me! I do do some things with a guitar like he did. Like play it behind my head or between my legs. Anything to have some fun. Fun like this:

posted on Aug, 31 2023 @ 08:37 PM
link   

you are supposed to wash clothing BEFORE you wear it
because of chemicals, colors leaching onto skin... yet,...

you buy cars, carpet and furniture, breathing in those
NEW CAR SMELLS for months,,,
and try to preserve that smell by keeping the windows closed
instead of breathing outside fresh air

all those household cleaning chemicals
and even hairspray.. stuff you shouldnt breathe in

posted on Aug, 31 2023 @ 08:43 PM
link   
The biggest scam on earth right now is this exact debate.

Plastic straws and plastic shopping bags… people want to replace plastic shopping bags with these woven bags you need to reuse >20,000 times to offset the carbon footprint of plastic bags.

Society is so dumb falling for this climate change BS.

top topics

join