It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Church and evil

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2003 @ 06:49 AM
link   
It's obvious that the church has done quite alot of thinking about whom the evil forces in the bible apply to citing out whole religions and peoples while doing so. Take the word "devil" for instance. They say it ethymologically derives from the Greek equivalent of the Hebrew "satan", "diablos", but I just can't live with that. For there are better sollutions as to which word the church has had in mind when they made the word devil back in the dark ages.

The Church bible (both old and new testaments) is like the Hebrew one only everything that has to do with the evil forces, their names and titles have been altered or tempered with. Where the original text says Heylel, the church bible says Lucifer in it's "translations". Where the original says satan or diablos, the word devil is used instead of the more correct "adversary" or "accuser". Where the original text says Gehenna, the church "translations" say Hell, and the same is done with Hades(!). And the list goes on and on. The KJV is one of the worst.

Let's look to India and the origin of the word devil as I see it. In India the word devi means god. In Romani (gypsies' language) which has it's roots in India, the word for god is devel. If you were to cite out one perticular people which the church has banned and hunted most, the Gypsie nomads may be the one. They were often spiritually gifted people, good with their hands and reknown for their skills with knives and tools and their ways of partying. As I see it the only reason they were hunted by the church was the fact that they didn't pay taxes. And the church in her turn gave them a reputation of being theives and killers, homosexuals, unclean, contageous and evil. Hence, their god had to be the adversary to the church and thereby the adversary of God. Then "devel" became "devil" and the Gypsies became the people of Satan in the minds of the clergy and they were banned, cursed and hunted like beasts on the fields in a grand scale.

I've never heared the Catholic Church appologise for their crimes against this perticular people, or even comment on this, and sure haven't seen the word devil being erased from their bibles and replaced with the original, universal and relative word diablos or satan that means literally "adversary" or "accuser", "tempter". The church has tailored the bible to fit their own godless ways including the accusing, persuing and killing of innocent people, which they have sorted out must be satans. And they have used God and the bible spread fear and of course collect taxes and punnish them who don't by editing the Word to make those who don't into satans. Shame!

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 12:55 AM
link   
that was interesting i have never heard that before. but i agree that they have taken something "good" and turned into something "evil" to fit their twisted perception. In my opinion they catholics and christians are not any better than non christians and catholics. They throw accusations around about ppl doing this and they are going to burn in hell for it, but i do not think that they stopped once to consider what they were doing, it just really doesn't give me a whole lot of faith to see ppl of a relion acting irrationally it makes me think twice about even thinking about a religion. Christians and catholics shun baptists and protostants because they are not of the religion they are not true believers, i attended a baptist church and they all preach the same thing god is good and god is wise and god died for our sins, but nobody seems to want to believe that wich in turn makes me think that religion is just an organized tamed "cult".

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 01:30 AM
link   
mikromarius, are you sure the word is "devi", I have been reading about Krishna and have not encountered the word. Also can you post some documentation asserting your allegations of persecution. Also post some more about your position as how the word "devil" was used in the Bible. My copies use the word "Lucifer".

Christians and catholics shun baptists and protostants because they are not of the religion they are not true believers, i attended a baptist church and they all preach

Thelostsoul you seem to be throughly confused about the Christian Faith - Catholics, Baptists, etc. are various Christian denominations, all are of the Christian Faith. Prostestant Denominations are those who are not Catholic or Orthodox (includes Lutherans, Baptists, Church of Christ, Pentecostals, all Charismatics, etc.)

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Organised religion is the biggest illusion ever perpertrated yet we follow it like sheep, The Church isnt evil, it is just flawed in basic fundementals, sure every religion has done something concidered evil in time, christians were complete bastards at one stage, now its muslims that are being the bastards, after this you might find that it is the hindus that are bastards, no church is outright evil, we all make mistakes and some people just take there interpritation of god to far.

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 10:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by jagdflieger
Also post some more about your position as how the word "devil" was used in the Bible. My copies use the word "Lucifer".

The Lucifer part I explained. In the original Hebrew Tannakh (OT) the morningstar of the king of Babylon is called Heylel. Christian/Catholic bibles use Lucifer, you're right. As to the word "devil", it is used all through the Christian bible instead of words like the Hebrew "satan" and the Greek "diablos". These two words have the exact same meaning, "adversary", while the word used in Christian bibles, "devil" has no meaning whatsoever in our languages, other than it is the word for god to the Gypsies, who denied to pay taxes and be counted in cencus, but instead chose to live like nomads which was (and still is for many) their way of life based on old traditions.

As for devi meaning god, I'll have to do a little more research, but the name "Shanti Devi" (the name of one of my friends' boat) means "god's peace" or "divine peace" if you like. I believe it is Sanskrit, and I also believe the Latin word "Dei" means God and also has it's ethymological roots in Sanskrit.

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 01:37 PM
link   
having intercourse with little boys is evil, but the church seems to deny that.... The church knows nothing of evil, as it cannot even recognize it within itself....

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok
having intercourse with little boys is evil, but the church seems to deny that.... The church knows nothing of evil, as it cannot even recognize it within itself....

Yes they have become like them who say that it's a family thing and should be kept secret and be dealt with within the family. They are hypocrites. If a man of the church does something as horrifying as this, he should be put before a judge and be sentenced according to the law. Just so sad that the penalties for such acts are almost like nothing. These children have to live with these traumas for the rest of their lives, and many of them become worse than them who raped them. If it was up to me, people who rapes children should be given concrete shoes and be cast into the ocean

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Jul, 26 2003 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Lucifer=Venus
Satan=Saturn
Neptune=beast
Jupiter=host of the heavens.
Mars=Adam, which means red earth.
PLuto=prophesy
Moon and sun were his eyes=cusp of cancer and leo.

If it is in the bible it has a astrological as well as a literal meaning. However like most people the literal means don't line up with the astrological. Thats why part of the bible have been omitted.

posted on Jul, 26 2003 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by cainecrawford
Lucifer=Venus
Satan=Saturn
Neptune=beast
Jupiter=host of the heavens.
Mars=Adam, which means red earth.
PLuto=prophesy
Moon and sun were his eyes=cusp of cancer and leo.

If it is in the bible it has a astrological as well as a literal meaning. However like most people the literal means don't line up with the astrological. Thats why part of the bible have been omitted.

What about Mercury, Uranus (hehe, who made that name?) and the other wandering stars (aren't there twelve wanderers)?

Blessings,
Mikromarius

posted on Jul, 26 2003 @ 01:48 PM
link   
I've wanted a literal translation of the Bible for years, complete with footnotes explaining the difficulty in translating a particular word or phrase and saying how else it could be translated.

posted on Jul, 26 2003 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Freddie
I've wanted a literal translation of the Bible for years, complete with footnotes explaining the difficulty in translating a particular word or phrase and saying how else it could be translated.

My advise is that you go and learn Hebrew and Greek and study the originals. At bible.crosswalk.com... you'll find a good interlinear bible where you can click on most words and get an explanation of the perticular word. They also have online versions of most bibles with notes and everything. It's a bit slow, but it's quite good I think. I use it all the time, and it has helped me a lot. As you'll see pretty soon, there are many ways to translate the original bible, so pray to God for guidance like he guided Jesus, and he will grant it to you I hope. May God be with you.

Blessings,
Mikromarius

top topics

join