It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do atheists care what other people believe?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 09:01 PM
link   
Why is it that atheists are always trying to disprove God, and anything about religion? Why do they care what we believe? Some of them can be real jackasses about it. Why do they care? Hey if theyre right then no big deal, but if we're right

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 09:06 PM
link   
If only they'd put their God given intellect to good use rather than trying to disprove the undisprovable.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Be careful not to lump all atheists into one big generalized group, you don't like being lumped into a group and have generalizations made about YOU do you?

I would offer that most atheists don't spend their time trying to prove God doesn't exist for the precise reason that they don't care.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greenwall
Be careful not to lump all atheists into one big generalized group, you don't like being lumped into a group and have generalizations made about YOU do you?

Well since they lump me into Im gonna lump them into it.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 09:35 PM
link   
They're probably sick of zealots telling them how they SHOULD live. It could be a reaction, kind of like Croat's response to being lumped, he's going to lump them back.
I agree that some of them can be REAL jackasses, so can some believers.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   
My response to atheists is to relate to them Pascal's Square, seen below.

Believed in God | Didn't believe in God
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
God Exists 1 | 2
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
God Doesn't Exist 3 | 4

The top row represents the two choices of the person, the left column represents the two possibilities.

Case 1) God is real, and you followed His teachings as best you knew how. You will be rewarded in the afterlife. This is good.
Case 2) God is real, and you were an evil person in life. You will be going to Hell to burn for eternity. This is not good.
Case 3) God doesn't exist, and you followed religious principles. You missed out on a lot of fun in life, but you're dead now, and there's nothing, so it doesn't really matter what you did. Neutral result.
Case 4) God doesn't exist, and you were an evil person in life. You got to cheat, lie, steal, and all the rest, and there weren't any consequences, since there was no afterlife. It was good, while it lasted.

By examining the chart, Case 1 is good, since you go to Heaven, and Case 4 is good, since you make the best of a bad situation. In Case 2, you are screwed, since you're in Hell. In Case 3, you wasted your life, but you will never know, since there's nothing afterwards. This means that if you choose to follow God, at worst you will waste your life, and at best you get rewarded in Heaven. If you don't follow God, the best case is you enjoy life until you die, and the worst case is you burn in Hell. Therefore, Pascal concluded that it is safest to believe in God

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Case 2) God is real, and you were an evil person in life. You will be going to Hell to burn for eternity. This is not good.

That should say and IF you were an evil person

Just clerifying.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 10:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonsDemesne
This means that if you choose to follow God, at worst you will waste your life, and at best you get rewarded in Heaven. If you don't follow God, the best case is you enjoy life until you die, and the worst case is you burn in Hell. Therefore, Pascal concluded that it is safest to believe in God

Does this mean that "God fearing" people only follow God because they are afraid of hell?

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 10:18 PM
link   
what the...? I really don't follow your logic there, buddy. And for sure, your situations don't encompass all possible situations one could be in as far as choices of what to believe and how to live your life... therefore you have no point. But honestly, it's one of the more creative ways I've seen to argue logically for the Christian belief. Sadly faith can't be argued.

Green

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 10:46 PM
link   
Uh, it's the other way around.... douchebags go around telling athiests they going to hell for believing in science/facts/reality. It's the christians who tell everyone else that they going to hell unless they let a priest "bless" them all over their faces. It's the christians who tell everyone that instead of teaching science they should teach bull#. That earth is flat, 6,000 years old, and is center of the universe instead of round, older then 6,000 years old and not center. They are the ones who interfere.

Funny, someone who has no problem with the genocide of Africa complaining about science/facts/reality being spread instead of bull#.(you are catholic, right? so you have no problem with the genocide of Africa by the catholic church)

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 10:53 PM
link   
Thank you James the lesser for proving my point.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 11:02 PM
link   
The only time I care about religion (not just Christianity), is when someone tries shoving their beliefs and "morality" down my throat.

Originally posted by James the Lesser
Uh, it's the other way around.... douchebags

For a minute there, I thought you were calling us douchebags.
Oh yeah? Well, I got something for ya, pancake bunny:

and there's a lot more where that came from!

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I'm Atheist, kinda, and i dont spend my time disproving god... i think people can believe what they want its not my concern and it doesnt affect my life... usually...

Its only when religious people try and prove gods exsistance do i try to disporve it... why? because it makes for a good debate... what i have found is that most (note most not all) religious people are very close minded when discussing religion and are agressive in defending their faith...

but god, or not god, i dont care really as long as i live a good life i think i'm covered.

posted on Apr, 10 2005 @ 11:31 PM
link   
I am an Atheist and couldnt give a damn about what you do with your life. Many of the things Christians believe are just plain stupid to me. Like the whole Body and Blood/Bread and Wine thing, how can it be both? I do get told by alot of peers and teachers (btw, im forced to go to a Catholic school) that im going to go to hell, and to them I just have 1 simple gesture, and yes, iv gotten a detention for doing it to a teacher. Also, theres this one member on this board, who shall not be named, who it seems all he/she does it try and disprove your god and it does get quite annoying. So uh, in conclusion, you guys do it too, not all of you, just like not all of us do it.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 12:17 AM
link   
OH MY GOD! That is great! Not as great as the picture of bunnies eating canabis plants.... but still great.

And how did I prove your point? You say athiests go around shoving the truth down people's throats, but they don't. Christians go around shoving bull# down people's throats, and the catholics shove other things down throats and other orifices. Athiests just think public schools should teach science/facts/reality, not bull# proven to be bull#. So when someone tries like Dwayne Gish goes across the country trying to get bull# taught as scince in schools they stop it, except for Georgia, he won a couple counties before the courts stepped in and said you can't teach stupidity in school.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 12:20 AM
link   

And how did I prove your point?

By proving that atheists can be real jackasses, and you with your blatent ignorance of the church is just sickening. Its not my place to judge, but I hope you burn in eternal hellfire.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 12:51 AM
link   
lol! Brawl!

This whole thread is based on a poor generalization, so nothing less can be expected! lol....

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 12:54 AM
link   
I'm an Atheist...who was just confirmed into the RCC yesturday.....Am I going to hell for falsely admitting my self into the RCC? lol.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 01:19 AM
link   
And where is this hell? Oh wait, it doesn't exist, so no worries. And you prove that christians have their heads shoved up their ass. I swear, where is hell? You can't even prove your bull# let alone hell. Well you can, if you are stupid. I mean, you say the bibile is correct because the bible says so. WTF kind of thinking is this? Something is correct because it says so? Fine, I am going to act like a christian.

I am correct, because I say so, anyone who says different can go to Mexico.

Wow, that is nice, can never be wrong because I say I am right.

See how stupid that sounds? Also, again, why do you support genocide? How many millions of Africans has your religon killed? Hmmm, medicine, food, condoms, nope, can't have any of that, that's evil. And so millions starve to death, die of easily curable diseases, and AIDS, but hey, at least they only had to suffer for a few years of hellish(pun intended) pain so the church could keep banning anything that would save them.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 01:31 AM
link   
Okay, you guys need to chill. This is BTS!!

Good times.

Why don't you guys have a doughnut, on me!...well, on bunny...bunny's head!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join