It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why do atheists care what other people believe?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 01:54 AM
link   
Ah we're seeing the best of both sides here...

In the red corner we have an obvious christian, possibly catholic, condemning someone who doesnt believe in hell... to hell... nice work...

In the Blue corner we have a self described atheist who quite obviosuly does not like religion much but does like the word 'bull#'...

Both have good points that religious and atheist people will try to shove their 'facts' down others throats... its a generalisation on both parts and not all are like that...

But i am inclined to side with the blue corner (Atheist), as sciece does make a better arguemnt than a 2000 year old stroy book... with no pictures mind you!

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 03:19 AM
link   
First, poon master, you don't happen to own a pet bunny do you? You got all kinds of cool pictures of them, and may be where I got this one from. Someone posted it, I loved it, and was deciding on keeping my dancing bunny or using this one, and went with this.

Anyways, yes, I like the word bull# for it shows the emotion more than say, lie or untruth(nontruth?)

And the "facts" of science don't need quotation marks, for they are facts, they are based on reality, not a book written by people who sacrificed virgin goats after an earthquake to keep god happy. Science studies things to prove or disprove something, they don't say we are right because we say so, we have no proof, and in fact all proof points to us being completely wrong, but hey, we said we were right so we are. Science is Hypothesis, research, experiment, study findings, repeat. Religon is "You don't give me money, you go to hell."

Case in point, I have a religon, The Pebble People. I can prove they exist just as much as any christian can prove god, if not more. There are rocks in Death Valley that move, on their own, no sign of anything moving them. But there is something moving them, The Pebble People. They do contests of physical strength and this is how they do it, for they are only 3-4 inches tall and there are some big rtocks moving out there. Also, they stop time and eat socks when you do the laundry. Why you can put 10 pairs in and come out with 8 complete pairs and some with holes that weren't there before. Now, christians have what? The bible? I have physical proof, I have something you can study if you had the time/money. You could set up video cameras all over Death Valley to watch the rocks to see what makes them move. Of course, just like the christian god, The Pebble People are invisable, so might need to get infared(sp?) cameras to see them. But still, I can prove The Pebble People just as well as a christian can prove god, so does this make me right? No. Does it make them right? No.

Anyways, go to science class and learn science, not what Dwayne Gish wanted taught.(he actually won in Georgia and had flat earth/center/6,000 years old taught as science until courts stepped in and told him religon is BULL# and that science is for science class, not fairy tales)

Also, according to SCIENTISTS, due to the catholic church interfering in Africa, they may cause the complete extinction of all human life on Africa in the next 20-30 years.(excluding Egypt which is Middle East, not Africa) How you may ask? You see, there are these things called medicine, they heal the sick. But the church tells Africans that the medicine is evil, sinful, and so the Africans reject said medicine, and so while you go to a store and buy medicine to cure what ails you, millions die in Africa. Then those things called condoms, also condemed by the church as evil, causing the spread of aids to be even greater, and again killing millions more. Or even better the pray for food scandal where the church refused to give Africans food if they didn't convert, food given to them by the people to give out in Africa. So millions starve to death. It would be like Americans donating millions of dollars for food and then the government refusing to buy food for people who refused to become slaves in whatever country they live in.

Edit. To SAX, I don't hate religon, some like Wicca, Budda, ones like that are nice. They are peaceful, have little to no blood on their hands, and unlike most religons don't go around condeming everyone to hell for not converting. They don't condem you to hell for not following stupid rules like no pork or no eating meat on a friday. Wicca is "Do what one wilt, as long as yee harm none." Now if you listen to a christian, Wiccans/Witches worship satan, eat your babies, sacrifice humans, blah blah blah. But the truth is they were the first doctors, nurses, pharmacists, shrinks. They don't even believe in "evil", there is bad and good, but no true "evil". Stealing is evil, right? But what about Robin Hood? He stole from the greedy rich people and gave it to the poor the money orignally came from through taxes and/or selling of the livestock/crops they grew. Killing? Someone breaks into your house and attacks you with a knife and you kill him, is this evil? You think, which according to the catholic church is evil, but is it? Anyways, that is all. Nice to see someone who is watching the fight and commenting on it, it is different, for most take a side and fight, but hey, how will others know what is going on if you don't have an announcer?

[edit on 11-4-2005 by James the Lesser]

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 05:44 AM
link   
The conscience, when ruminates once you grow old in terms of age and body, will really screw up your mind and make you feel helpless. Everyone leaves you behind and you are alone for after so many years you have no one to rely upon. Then some people(...........) say O God what have I done so bad for YOU to punish me thus.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 10:33 AM
link   
The better question would be how can they be atheists which are people without a belief structure in the sense of religion yet they take a religious stance against religion, kinda hypocritical in the fundamentalist forms.

You can believe a faith is wrong unless your faith prompts you to believe it is the only one right, I would say an atheist who is true to the athiest title would say there is nothing to have an opinion on rather than in my opinion religion is wrong.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 02:28 PM
link   
Whaaaa????? Wait, so saying the earth is flat is wrong means we have a religon? So telling people that science explains why it rains means we are religous? WTF? How does that work? Teaching facts/science/reality isn't a religon, it is trying to educate the idiots of the world who still fear someone coming down and smacking them for eating meat at 4pm on august 22 every other leap year or some other bs rule.

Sorry, saying that since we use science/facts/reality means we "worship" that doesn't work. Worship is "Gee, I am stupid, everything tells me I'm wrong, but I still have faith cause my head is up my ass." WHile science is "Gee, so thats how plate mechanics work, ok, next is more research on gravity and it's affects on light, which it shouldn't, cause light has no mass, and gravity only affects things with mass."

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 04:03 PM
link   
You really dont know anything do you? You just stroll around ats with your head up your ass saying religion sucks, and you dont evan know the first thing about the religion. Please, no one believes the earth is flat, or that its only 6 thousand years old, and infact us catholics dont give a Shizt if evolution is true for our beliefe is in Jesus Christ.

Pfft atheists and their ignorance.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Is that why there are entire orginizations of catholics dedicated to getting flat earth/6,000 years old tuaght in school? Is this why when someone said the earth wasn't 6,000 years old the catholic church defrocked them?

Yes, ignorance of athiests, using SCIENCE/FACTS/REALITY....... how is the truth ignorance? Just sounds like ignorance to me to think the truth is ignorant..... How can this be? Calling people who believe in the real world/truth are ignorant? Ha, just shows you how religous people think, or don't think....

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Im talking about your ignorance of the church.

Mod Edit: to remove insult directed at another member

[edit on 11-4-2005 by kinglizard]

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by specialasianX
But i am inclined to side with the blue corner (Atheist), as sciece does make a better arguemnt than a 2000 year old stroy book... with no pictures mind you!

I have to agree with you as well. If they wanted more people to read it they should have included some pictures, maybe a popup or 2.

Hell, I have a theory to see who would believe in a book after 2000 years, I could NEVER prove it, but what I think is that you take a book like Lord of the Rings, thats ALOT like the Bible and you let it sit around for a while. Then in 2000 years or so people will start believing in it just like the bible. Iv also figured out the connections between characters, like Frodo is Jesus, Bilbo is God and a few others that I dont feel like listing.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 04:25 PM
link   
Ok let’s get back on topic and refrain from attacking other members. No more flaming please…

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
Ok let’s get back on topic and refrain from attacking other members. No more flaming please…

When someone is spreading nonsence about my beliefs I can curse at them all I want and I dont care if I get a warn,

its sad that some can lose their faith just because alot of time has passed since all the stuff happened.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 04:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by James the Lesser
And where is this hell? Oh wait, it doesn't exist, so no worries. And you prove that christians have their heads shoved up their ass. I swear, where is hell? You can't even prove your bull# let alone hell. Well you can, if you are stupid. I mean, you say the bibile is correct because the bible says so. WTF kind of thinking is this? Something is correct because it says so? Fine, I am going to act like a christian.

I am correct, because I say so, anyone who says different can go to Mexico.

Wow, that is nice, can never be wrong because I say I am right.

See how stupid that sounds? Also, again, why do you support genocide? How many millions of Africans has your religon killed? Hmmm, medicine, food, condoms, nope, can't have any of that, that's evil. And so millions starve to death, die of easily curable diseases, and AIDS, but hey, at least they only had to suffer for a few years of hellish(pun intended) pain so the church could keep banning anything that would save them.

Even though I totally disagree with you and I think you are as wrong as wrong can be......
I have to give you credit man, the sarcasm and humor is awesome

Keep it goin

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 04:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Croat56

Originally posted by kinglizard

When someone is spreading nonsence about my beliefs I can curse at them all I want and I dont care if I get a warn,

You can defend your position as anyone would but when you cross the line by cursing and flaming another member moderators will get involved. The “Red-Flag” warn will probably be issued for these offences but if a member continually ignores the direction from a staff member to follow the sites T&C’s it’s likely a Global Ignore will be applied to the offending account. If it continues a Post-Ban then a complete banning from ATS.

Again please feel free to express and defend your beliefs….just do it in within the Terms and Conditions.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Sporty, it does sound like a joke doesn't it? I am right because I say so, and I can prove it because I said so. But that is how christianity works, they are right because they say so and prove it because they said so. It is sad people actually think this is logic, but they do.

Also, about your church Croat? About the church who is committing genocide in Africa by banning everything that would save them? About the man who recently died after going 30-40 years of covering up child sex abuse crimes? About the church who for over 1000 years slaughtered million upon millions of innoccent people for not being slaves of the church? Hell, anyone who can read a history book knows about all the wars, massacers, slaughters, Inquisitions, and genocide that the church has done. And I do mean history book, not a book with giants and zombies and magicians, but a book based on facts. I swear, what if we treated the Mother Goose Tales like people do the bible? Except Mother Goose makes more sense, at least that doesn't have zombies raising from the grave and flapping their arms so hard they fly off into the sky.

Anyways, in any debate, science/facts/reality wins over ignorance/religon. Why? We have proof of what we know, and we have proof you are full of bs. We know there was no great world flood just by the fact there isn't enough water in the world to do so. We know raising from the dead is bs, so all those zombies in the bible didn't exist. We know that genetics is destroyed by inbreeding, proving again Noah bs and Adam and Eve. We know all "acts of god" were acts of nature, small pox, ebola, Black Plague, and natural disasters. We know that the earth is older then 6,000 years old, something the church says is true, that the earth is only 6,000 years old and all dinosaur fossils are placed by satan.

Sorry Croat, this is like from the show Robot Chicken, The Most One Sided Fist Fights, you throw bs, I zap you with science, I win.

Edit. back on topic, when was the last time Athiests went around door to door telling people "You stop believing in bs or you don't go to hell!!!!!" or burning crosses in people's yards for being Wiccans or whatever. When was the last time Athiests got together and lynched people for being Wiccans? Never.

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Science right, like science can evan prove how the universe began.
[Mod Edit], if you dont like it you dont have to believe, I really dont care if you believe or not. Like Id want you in heaven anyway.

Mod Edit: to remove insult directed at another member.

[edit on 11-4-2005 by kinglizard]

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Ever hear of big bang? Oh yeah, forgot, if the bible said (extremely offensive analogy removed by mod) and thats how the universe was made you would believe it. How sad is that? People so brain washed they believe anything in a book with zombies and giants and things that can't happen.

Well, maybe a flood could, if say a comet made purely of ice was made up of 500,000 gallons of frozen water and 50 of them hit the earth and all ice in caps melted and joined this water you might get a world flood. But still bet there would be land left, like Everst and such.

And you didn't answer. How many athiests go door to door telling people they going to hell? How many burn crosses on peoples yard because they are witches/jews/whatever. How mnay people have been blown up in church by athiests? Shot at church by athiests? Only ones I know of were black and killed by white christians in the south and victims of priests who finally snap and kill the abuser.

[edit on 12-4-2005 by Byrd]

posted on Apr, 11 2005 @ 11:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Greenwall
Be careful not to lump all atheists into one big generalized group, you don't like being lumped into a group and have generalizations made about YOU do you?

well tell them [atheists] that.

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 12:02 AM
link   
You guys both need to take a chill pill! Wow... Neither of you are being very good examples of who you claim to be. You can discuss the same things without being so damn offensive to each other.

Another thing, you guys need to stop generalizing because it only serves to make the other person more angry and lob generalized insults back at you. But enough of me being a parent, lol..

Croat56:

First, who are you to say that the beginning of the Universe cannot be explained by science? You think you so smart that you know what science can and cannot explain? Did God say in the Bible that Science is the devil's work? Did God say the Science cannot explain how the universe began? Does the Christian Faith have anything against science? No. ANY phenomena has the potential of being explained by science, whether you say so or not. Be careful and think about what you say about science, because all you end up doing is giving Jimmy more reason to make fun of the mistakes made by the Catholic Church. Science and Evolution Theory are not the same thing, and you only make yourself sound dumber when you make them out to be.

James:

It's not the Catholic Church's fault that shangloads of Africans have AIDS, and therefore the Catholic Church cannot be found guilty of genocide. You don't murder someone by watching them hang themselves, or by not giving them the medical supplies they need. That being said, if you knowingly keep said supplies from those who desperately need them (and said supplies are in great supply), then you are completely and utterly insensitive to humanity. This is a cold, harsh, but well known fact about the Catholic Church: it is slow to change. Unfortunately it has become WAY too slow to change, unable to deal with the many emerging social problems that challenge certain pillars of Catholic belief. While the AIDs problem is most certainly the worse as far as casualties go, the homosexual issue also is taking its toll--not only on the church from the sexual abuse angle, but on the prohibition of gay marriage, or at the very least homosexuality in general. While it may seem absurd that people are a part of an organization that has a harrowing history of falsely-rationalized savagery, you cannot forget that they also have a history of giving people hope. True Catholics are those who believe in the core of the Christian teachings, a set of values that embodies nothing but love.

Green

[edit on 12-4-2005 by Greenwall]

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I understand GreenWall, but with the hang thing I'll say this. No, it isn't murder to watch someone hang themselves. But say a psychiatrist goes and says Hey, I'll help you, come with me and we will solve your problems. Now, if you were to go over and kill the shrink, so the guy then goes and kills himself, are you not murdering him? You have stopped the thing that would save him. This is how the church is committing genocide in Africa. The medicine, the technology, the freaking pieces of latex that would save millions are denied to the Africans by the church. If the church didn't exist Africa wouldn't be looking at the extinction of human life on Africa. People try to get condoms there, but the church won't allow it and tell the africans that condoms are evil, and the Africans then don't use the condoms because they are told they are evil.

Also, I do like some christians, met these two guys at Fritzie Freeze(ice cream place down the street) who were christians, had their sunday best on and name tags saying who they were and what church they worked at. I started talking to them, and one was working a rubix cube. He then showed me how to beat it in 7 steps, and did. They went off to wherever and I got a milkshake. They didn't go on about how I was going to hell, I better convert or the devil will get me, no, they were humble, they were like Jesus from the bible. Sadly they are the minority in this world.

Edit: You have voted Greenwall For Way Above Top Secret Award, you have one more this month.

[edit on 12-4-2005 by James the Lesser]

posted on Apr, 12 2005 @ 08:25 AM
link   
Please keep the debate civil.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join