It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iranian Navy artillery and gunfire at UFO

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 11:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: DaydreamerV
Has anyone who knows for a fact confirmed it is a routine practice with live ammunition involving a flare in the sky as a target? This way we can eliminate one 'unknown'.

Apparently, they do use flares with parachutes for several types of shooting practice.

SPM-100 FLARE PARACHUTE TARGET

Then, strange 'self destruct' like flashes...Looks like gun fire was hitting the barrier of some sort to me.

They are shooting either surface to air missiles or special rounds that explode at a preprogramed altitude or when they detect they are getting away from the target.

Common gun fire against aircraft is not the most efficient air defence.

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 12:00 PM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

They’re using fused rounds from something like a ZSU-23 antiaircraft gun. Not very effective against combat aircraft anymore, outside of something like an AC-130, but very effective against cruise missiles and UAV.

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 01:50 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

i would think anything with a warhead that uses small cubes or bow ties of tungstun or DU so there is no need to get a perfect hit as whatever was fired at now has to fly in air with millions of hypersonic cubes.

I think the BUK is designed to go off at the cabin of whatever aircraft(look at that civilian that was taken down by a BuK).

It was shredded.

the idea of needed a nose on impact with a fast closing target is crazy when you can make layers of millions of dense metal cubes with your name on it.

It would take something so ground breaking to really wow me in the world of missile war heads. even DIME weapons are old hat.

posted on Jul, 22 2023 @ 01:56 PM
link   
a reply to: CosmicBacon

That’s the point of fused rounds. You don’t need to use a missile that costs a few million dollars against a small UAV. Most missiles won’t even see something like a Mavic, but something like the ZSU will shred them. Rheinmetal has an anti UAV gun system that eats small UAVs all day.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 08:55 AM
link   
a reply to: ArMaP

Sure thing. I will accept it as an explanation. Thank you. Although, they need to improve their shooting skills. I cannot believe how many rounds went missing almost stationary target.

Also, I would assume Romanian military fires at UFO last September shows similar exercise? Those parachuted flares move very strange, I find.

edit on 23-7-2023 by DaydreamerV because: (no reason given)

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 09:08 AM
link   

Since we have military experts, my question is why those fused rounds self-destruct at different times? Were they programmed individually differently? Some do not detonate at all.

cheers)

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 10:35 AM
link   
a reply to: DaydreamerV

Some have bad fuses, some were set differently. I don’t know about Iran, but many times these exercises give the military an excuse to get rid of old ammunition that’s near the end of their shelf life. That means some of it won’t be as stable as others. The end result is you get some blowing up early, late, or not at all. And if you have different guns, or multiple barrels feeding from their own belts, you can fuse the ammunition to cover different altitudes to get better coverage.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 04:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Some have bad fuses, some were set differently. I don’t know about Iran, but many times these exercises give the military an excuse to get rid of old ammunition that’s near the end of their shelf life. That means some of it won’t be as stable as others. The end result is you get some blowing up early, late, or not at all. And if you have different guns, or multiple barrels feeding from their own belts, you can fuse the ammunition to cover different altitudes to get better coverage.

From the professional point of view, what would you say about shooting skills of the squad? was it a sheer trigger-happy display that would look like the whole coast was celebrating and parting.

With little imagination looked like tipsy commanders had a field day utilizing what ever they can find sits wrong on the shelf shooting at the flare. It could be a Moon as some one has mentioned here earlier)

Just kidding) Thank you for your explaining few thigs to me.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 05:17 PM
link   

Against a group of UAVs they’d do good enough. Against any kind of serious attack, spray and pray only gets so far.

posted on Jul, 23 2023 @ 05:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zaphod58

Against a group of UAVs they’d do good enough. Against any kind of serious attack, spray and pray only gets so far.

Against a group of UAVs... may be. But, look, stationary target isn't anything like it.

The premise to get rid of an outdated ammo is a bit suspicious. No..really.

posted on Jul, 28 2023 @ 08:14 AM
link   

yet we/Ukraine fires Stingers at drones all day

kinetic solutions for an eletronic problem make no sense be it little exploding paintball things or a PAC-3.

Jamming and lasers are the right combo for taking down drones(also very cheap per shot if not free other then the power).

I saw a live fire artillery practice once and they shot all these illumination flares and just went at it, very impressive. that being said take the Ukrainian theater, they are using off the shelf modded drones for the most part and bigger ones that drop 'eggs' as Russians call them(grenades or other explosives in a 3d printed shells)

EW, GPS denial and a laser or if in too close a more kinetic option.

using ANY ordinance is silly to shoot down a 1000$ drone. One day Ukraine will have to fight its own war with its own weapons and in my estimates they will continue to use jamming guns and EW more and more. The other day the first arial drone dog fight was shown.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join