It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ford Joining Budweiser

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 12:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: frogs453
a reply to: JohnTitorSociety

But the ad is old. Seems like no one here even heard about it. Not sure if was even used in any markets or just to promote it for the event it was in.

Again it appeared to annoy no one except this dude who dug it up and now people here because he told you that you should be annoyed. I mean you weren't before, right? So it wasn't like you saw it all over your TV or the internet for the last 2 years.

From my POV it’s irrelevant to me — I don’t buy Fords.

But it’s an interesting case study of why woke or pandering ads can be a terrible idea for some companies and brands, as detailed in the prior two posts — which is relevant regardless of the year this occurred in.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 12:22 PM
link   
We could also talk about the Dove gaming ad in this thread. No, it's not about LGBTQ+BBQ, but it is about a company pandering to slice demographic. In this case, girls who are overweight and want to play overweight game avatars ... to sell soap?

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 12:27 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
We could also talk about the Dove gaming ad in this thread. No, it's not about LGBTQ+BBQ, but it is about a company pandering to slice demographic. In this case, girls who are overweight and want to play overweight game avatars ... to sell soap?

That seems like a good example of a marketing team producing a confusing ad that doesn’t highlight the benefit of the product. I see this specific failure all the time — the ad runs and I have no idea what is being sold, why it is being sold and sometimes it is not even clear what the primary brand is.

I worked as an exec in video games for a long time, we had a game based on a movie that had a 96% male audience. This is insanely high (Call of Duty hovers around 80% last I checked by comparison).

The marketing team wanted to target women gamers for a game with an expected 96% male audience.

I fired them.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 12:29 PM
link   

originally posted by: JohnTitorSociety

That seems like a good example of a marketing team producing a confusing ad that doesn’t highlight the benefit of the product. I see this specific failure all the time — the ad runs and I have no idea what is being sold, why it is being sold and sometimes it is not even clear what the primary brand is.

I worked as an exec in video games for a long time, we had a game based on a movie that had a 96% male audience. This is insanely high (Call of Duty hovers around 80% last I checked by comparison).

The marketing team wanted to target women gamers for a game with an expected 96% male audience.

I fired them.

What percent of gaming customers and profits did you effectively cancel out?

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 12:29 PM
link   

I am a woman gamer, and the last thing I want is a fat avatar. So it confuses me. Sure give the option, but marketing based on it?

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 12:34 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Holy sheet....
So many 'big men' around here in giant Ford pickups. I wonder if they will try and sell their trucks now lol.
The F250 is pretty impressive though with all this marketing crap I DONT UNDERSTAND why they are shooting themselves like this....

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Did they want to target them, or include them?

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Who could have expected all this?

The conservatives are going from driving Ford and drinking Budweiser to driving Tesla and drinking Michelob.

All because people are getting "too soft."

Oh, the irony.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: quintessentone

I fired them.

Zero. Targeting 4% of the audience instead of 96% of the audience is a guaranteed path to failure.

From an arithmetic POV, assuming the new marketing team effectively addressed TAM, the net revenue gain would be 92%.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 12:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: chris_stibrany
a reply to: infolurker

Holy sheet....
So many 'big men' around here in giant Ford pickups. I wonder if they will try and sell their trucks now lol.
The F250 is pretty impressive though with all this marketing crap I DONT UNDERSTAND why they are shooting themselves like this....

Woman feminazi Ford VP Marketing out to fight the "patriarchy", as she attains middle age, goes past her prime and seeks "revenge", as opposed to doing her real day job, doing everything to please and sell trucks to target audience, mostly heterosexual males.

Same "cause" over at Bud, same "cause" over at Molson Coors (Miller lite) same cause at H&K ( where ironically, the VP there used to compete in bikinis, LOL. As soon as she got a bit older and less attractive, she went on the warpath against bikinis and younger women. Just plain women envy/jealousy)

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 12:49 PM
link   
a reply to: M5xaz

Sigh. How is she out "to fight the patriarchy" with a 2 year old ad you didn't even know existed.

I swear, we may need to bring back fainting couches for all these very delicate people.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 12:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: PorkChop96

Did they want to target them, or include them?

They wanted to exclusively market to women gamers for a game with a 96% male audience, it wasn’t a targeted one off ad campaign (I wouldn’t greenlit targeting 4% of TAM anyway, it’s too low a percentage — Call of Duty has enough women playing to justify a targeted ad campaign for CoD to women who play at 20% TAM).

TAM means total addressable market for anyone unfamiliar.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 12:50 PM
link   

I guess this comes from the prevalent attitude that the only reason certain demographics don't do certain things is because of some form of hostility, -ism, or bias against them.

In other words, I am not playing CoD because of some factor quite outside my distaste for the genre in general. I prefer single player story based games

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 12:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Mahogany
Who could have expected all this?

The conservatives are going from driving Ford and drinking Budweiser to driving Tesla and drinking Michelob.

All because people are getting "too soft."

Oh, the irony.

I drive a Silverado (which happens to be the most popular pickup with gays and lesbians) and drink Shiner Bock. American Lagers are garbage.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 01:15 PM
link   

I fired them.

Zero. Targeting 4% of the audience instead of 96% of the audience is a guaranteed path to failure.

From an arithmetic POV, assuming the new marketing team effectively addressed TAM, the net revenue gain would be 92%.

Imaging targeting female players for Call of Duty (80% male users) using this female player in ads.

"Kelsie Krieg, 22, from Aberdeen, recently made history becoming the first woman to qualify for an elite Call of Duty tournament."

www.thesun.co.uk...

If you didn't, I'd fire you.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 01:18 PM
link   
a reply to: quintessentone

That's almost like targeting a single "women" for a beer made mainly for men(allegedly) Just kind of dumb

Had to throw that in the ring, I'll be quiet now
edit on 19-5-2023 by PorkChop96 because: (no reason given)

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 01:24 PM
link   

That's almost like targeting a single "women" for a beer made mainly for men(allegedly) Just kind of dumb

Not just any woman, a Call of Duty "ELITE" champion, there is a difference.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 01:25 PM
link   
I'm so happy my life doesn't revolve around consumerism.

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 01:26 PM
link   

Not just any woman, a Call of Duty "ELITE" champion, there is a difference.

Guess you missed this tidbit?

" Call of Duty has enough women playing to justify a targeted ad campaign for CoD to women who play at 20% TAM)."

posted on May, 19 2023 @ 01:27 PM
link   

I mean that is kind of what I was hinting with that.

An "elite" female gamer and a not "women"....two ends of the spectrum there

new topics

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join