It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shoplifting 2021 - Current

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 21 2023 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Here

From 2021!

Pretty soon all these stores will be virtual, perhaps on the metaverse, or within guarded walls of HOA communities. I think Florida is half way there with massive HOA's. When there are no pharmacies, grocery stores, or shopping malls left in the public realm who is to blame?

Keeping half the store behind glass will be very short lived because that requires employers.

So what are your predictions one how this will play out?

Here’s what I think
I mentioned previously, smaller stores within gated HOA’s.
A phone or biometric scan to go into stores.
More online ordering
Pick up services only

posted on Apr, 21 2023 @ 09:55 PM
link   
a reply to: JAGStorm

So a 15 minute city. Where have I heard that concept before?

edit on 000000004America/Chicago4pmFri, 21 Apr 2023 21:55:30 -050055 by Lumenari because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2023 @ 09:58 PM
link   
Jersey has been doing it for the last 5 or more years just not fully fenced in or walled off yet.

Condos/Shopping centers

Another

glassboronj

edit on 21-4-2023 by EmeraldCoastFreedm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2023 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Seems like a perfect storm is going perfectly to plan.

Pretty soon, you won't be able to leave the city even if you wanted to.

posted on Apr, 21 2023 @ 10:09 PM
link   
a reply to: MykeNukem

Isn't this exactly what Walt Disney wanted with his Epcot City plan?

posted on Apr, 21 2023 @ 10:11 PM
link   

originally posted by: Guyfriday
a reply to: MykeNukem

Isn't this exactly what Walt Disney wanted with his Epcot City plan?

Yes, very similar, this and more.

He was ahead of his time, I'll give him that.

Whether a good thing or not is up for debate and another thread I guess, lol.

posted on Apr, 21 2023 @ 10:13 PM
link   
How about an island in Florida with condos, houses, and shopping. Where the Truman show was filmed

seaside

story of seaside
edit on 21-4-2023 by EmeraldCoastFreedm because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 21 2023 @ 10:29 PM
link   
Our local grocery store had to put the Saffron behind the counter by the cigarettes and put a sign by the spices because people were stealing the little boxes of it that are quite expensive. Shoplifting is up around here too, but some that go shopping down by Green Bay say it is much worse down in the bigger cities. Here lots of stores have those weird tags on stuff that they remove at the register that beep when you leave the store. Some just need to be neutralized by some kind of light too and they leave them on some stuff.

I know some people who work in stores and they said shoplifting is a little up but not overwhelming yet. Some chain stores seem to be having a problem here on some stuff, but not the midsize stores. Almost Every store here now has cameras it seems, even the little stores have a few in places, especially at registers and often at the doors. The jump in the cameras happened around the time the pandemic hit. I suppose it was because of some arrogant customers causing problems occasionally because they had to wear masks....most actually mentioned you needed a mask and offered you a cheap mask at the service counter or they just told you you could not go in if you didn't have one, it was the regulation at the time.

posted on Apr, 21 2023 @ 11:31 PM
link   

Similarly, on the in-store operational side, Walmart has developed an app that expedites the moving of items from the backroom to the sales floor. Using that tool, store associates no longer have to scan scan each box. Instead, they hold up a handheld device, and the app employs augmented reality technology to highlight boxes ready to go, explained Crecelius. “Product gets on the shelf faster, something we all know is increasingly important,” he added.

Walmart also plans to build on a “new experimental checkout experience” introduced earlier this year that’s designed to “transform a transactional experience into a relational one,” Crecelius wrote in the blog. “We will continue to test different hardware and software solutions focused on enhancing — and even reimagining — a contact-free checkout experience for customers.”

www.supermarketnews.com...

A lot of retail lingo there but basically Walmart is using Augmented Reality and robots to help eliminate human jobs. They already have call buttons that are wifi enabled and connect to a GPS monitor on an associate that alerts them when a customer needs assistance in a particular department. So when they put everything behind glass, they'll really only need a few people to answer those calls and unlock things for customers. If they automate the locks on the glass cases, their LP (loss prevention) would just be able to push a button to unlock them and then just monitor the person. Stores with secured cosmetics for example make you check out your cosmetics before you leave that area, even if you have more shopping to do. Their ordering system has been computer assisted or fully automated for at least 10 years. Most stores now have a robot box sorter that when they unload the truck, it only takes a couple people because one feeds boxes into the robot, and one grabs the boxes the robot sorts and puts them on the designated pallet. I have seen at a Walmart test store robots that scan the shelf for outs and can pull picks from the back.

Even at my podunk not Walmart store, we have a robot that cleans the floors and that turned what was a full time cleaner job into a part time just cleaning bathrooms job.

Bottom line, Walmart is just a few years away from eliminating most if not all human store level jobs. They will probably end up turning all their stores into online fulfillment centers and force people to order online and then pick up at the store, never stepping foot inside. This is the direction all grocery stores are going because everyone follows whatever Walmart does, usually to their own detriment.

How do you completely stop shoplifting? Stop allowing customers in the store. Make them order online and then pick up in the parking lot. Then you only deal with internal theft which is usually extremely easy to catch and put an end to, especially with MANY fewer employees.
edit on 21-4-2023 by Antimony because: typo.

posted on Apr, 22 2023 @ 01:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Antimony

I was wondering too as shoplifting has been popping up as a talking point recently, your bolded paragraph makes alot of sense as to what they want you all to appreciate, certainly not shoplifting.
did you know they have shoplifters in their budget, basically if you don't shoplift you give the manager a bonus.

posted on Apr, 22 2023 @ 02:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: Terpene
a reply to: Antimony

I was wondering too as shoplifting has been popping up as a talking point recently, your bolded paragraph makes alot of sense as to what they want you all to appreciate, certainly not shoplifting.
did you know they have shoplifters in their budget, basically if you don't shoplift you give the manager a bonus.

Well Target stores have insane Loss Prevention and

Walmart isn’t the only big-box retailer dealing with an uptick in theft. Last month, Target Chief Financial Officer Michael Fiddelke said shoplifting has jumped about 50% year over and year, leading to more than $400 million in losses in this fiscal year alone.

www.cnbc.com...

Stores usually have insurance that covers it.

According to the NRF, the average shrink rate hit 1.4% across all brands in 2022. That accumulates to $94.5 billion in total losses, an increase over 2021’s $90.8 billion. Additionally, organized retail crime rose 26.5% over the last year.

www.forbes.com...

Walmart's share of it is about 3 billion dollars a year but I could not find what I consider a reputable source for that. But I don't doubt it.

posted on Apr, 22 2023 @ 03:07 AM
link   

It's pretty easy to get around it all. Haven't been to a physical store in 3 years. I order, they deliver it or they bring it to my car. Just like ordering a pizza.

posted on Apr, 22 2023 @ 06:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: EmeraldCoastFreedm
Jersey has been doing it for the last 5 or more years just not fully fenced in or walled off yet.

Condos/Shopping centers

Another

glassboronj

BUT the Garden State Plaza has now implemented a new policy -
Friday and Saturday late afternoon into all evening, anyone under the age of 18 MUST be accompanied by a chaperone.
This is the first time such a policy has been put into place, the area has slowly been turning into an overpopulated, liberal mess.
I live right down the road from the Wood Ridge mess, and would never pay for a 'luxury' apartment where I am a prisoner, afraid to go outside after dark.
A man from Wood Ridge NJ who is a homeowner told me they are furious there for the town building this white elephant. As he said, Wood Ridge is a small, clean, well kept town of single-family homes that wanted to stay that way, and that most certainly did not need the problems this will bring.

posted on Apr, 22 2023 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I love how all of these topics that have been brought to everyone’s attention here and on other sites are becoming reality. People calling us crazy ! That will never happen. Lol!!!
I still can’t believe how compliant and obedient the masses are. I guess Loki from the Marvel movies was correct in saying that human beings were meant to be ruled and subjugated. Dang !! Double dang !!!a reply to: Lumenari

posted on Apr, 22 2023 @ 09:16 AM
link   

originally posted by: TacoLoco75
I love how all of these topics that have been brought to everyone’s attention here and on other sites are becoming reality. People calling us crazy ! That will never happen. Lol!!!
I still can’t believe how compliant and obedient the masses are. I guess Loki from the Marvel movies was correct in saying that human beings were meant to be ruled and subjugated.[/post]

Exactly what I continually wonder - I thought the human species had intelligence, and yet look what is going on in our school systems, all over the country.
Sheep!
edit on 22-4-2023 by RonnieJersey because: add something

posted on Apr, 22 2023 @ 09:34 AM
link   

originally posted by: Antimony
How do you completely stop shoplifting? Stop allowing customers in the store. Make them order online and then pick up in the parking lot. Then you only deal with internal theft which is usually extremely easy to catch and put an end to, especially with MANY fewer employees.

If this is where retailers are heading, they'll certainly lose less to theft. Hooray for them. Unfortunately, the burden then goes to the shopper. Once the goods are in hand, they'll walk to their car and get robbed by roaming gangs. What's next, everyone has to carry a weapon and be prepared to use it just to pick up some groceries?
edit on 4-22-2023 by LogicalGraphitti because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2023 @ 09:41 AM
link   

" So what are your predictions one how this will play out? "

Killer Robot Security Guards should do the Trick ..........*)

posted on Apr, 22 2023 @ 10:04 AM
link   
My thought for the recent Walmart closings would be the shopping club concept like Sam's Club except for the standard Walmart.

Normal entrance requiring a pass card or keychain fob for entrance into the main store. This would entail purchasing a membership. Refundable credit applied at checkout of items. Exits would be like airlocks. Roll cart into airlock. Doors close and checkout is automatically done by sensors in the airlock. Once the process is complete and C.C. or Bankcard is debited the other side of the airlock opens and you can wheel out to the parking lot or bagging area.

Just seal the building and only those with credit cards or bank accounts can get memberships. Along with a credit check. And we're a step closer to a Black Mirror episode. And any "bad seeds" that tried to pull something on the store would have their accounts deactivated and they would be blacklisted. And that blacklisting would follow them in their credit report.

edit on 22-4-2023 by ntech because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 22 2023 @ 10:57 AM
link   
a reply to: RonnieJersey

Yep I left that area to where I am today, The Wood Ridge development at the time we left the grocery store was closed with papered up windows and it was just a dunkin donuts and baskin robins left down below.
I will not miss the Wood Ridge DMV, Will not miss the 16k I was paying in property taxes there either.

posted on Apr, 22 2023 @ 02:01 PM
link   

top topics

<<   2 >>

join