It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Shut Up And Watch It. . . . The Whale

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2023 @ 11:53 PM
link   

originally posted by: Maxmars
I have problem watching this kind of film...

I get really emotional, and I tend to die on the inside when there is emotional pain and suffering that doesn't have to happen, but does because 'we're only human,' after all.... which is to say I'm something of a big softie...

Just for the relevance, I enjoyed this critics take on "The Whale." (I like this guy.)

From what I understand, The Critical Drinker is very well regarded by film actors themselves, as a fair and honest critic.

I know a buddy of mine down in Hollywood for the last 2 decades references him often when we are discussing film or TV.
(He's an actor with some film and TV credits, not someone anyone would know by name or face- unless you watched a certain soap opera for a certain length of time.)

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 12:04 AM
link   

originally posted by: randomtangentsrme
The Critical Drinker is very well regarded by film actors themselves, as a fair and honest critic.

If they don't, they should.

I found his reviews and commentary to be (aside from very funny) very well thought out and expressed.

I always kind of thought he'd be a welcome addition to ATS if he ever strayed into our home.

I especially appreciate his commentary on the movie industry in general... but then that's just my taste.

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 12:19 AM
link   

originally posted by: incoserv
Main caracter messed up his life because he was caught buggering a man, if I recall correctly.

No, thanks. I've no need for social engineering projects that are designed to normalize perversion. Not interested in being made to feel sorry for a deviant. That is what actually going on there.

Next movie will be about a man "falling in love with" and buggering a child,. and you'll be.expexted to be irate because "true love" is stifled.

Then there'll be a movie about the romantic sexual relationship been a woman and her dog.

I won't be watching. I don't care to be subjected to overt psycho-social programming. I have no interest in being emotionally manipulated to nefarious ends.

ETA: If you poo-poo my predictions regarding the following wave of themes (promoting pedophilia and beastiality), ask yourself if five years ago you thought that the White House would be promoting perverts and pedophiles having direct access to children.
:

There has been Stage and film productions discussing these subjects for hundreds of years.
English pantomimes have men playing as women for a couple hundred years (In Shakespeare's time women were not allowed to be a performer on stage).
Opera has "Pants roles," women playing young boys.

Midsummer's nights dream has the queen of the fairys falling in love with a human turned donkey (or at the very least a 'furry' equivalent.) There is your beastiality. From over 400 years ago.

'Leon the professional' had some undertones about a love between a female child and an older man.
'Pretty Baby' had not only an underage prostitute as a character, but also a nude scene (1970s).

I do not mind the message you are trying to get across, in fact I support not being "subjected to overt psycho-social programming."

The thing I think you are overlooking is not every story that has a not hetero-normative character is promoting the agenda you seem to be suggesting it is.

I will agree, some activists are over the top.
But not every story about a gay man is supporting "overt psycho-social programming."

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 12:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Maxmars

Drinker has internet success.
Actors (as a general rule) appreciate constructive criticism. Obviously not everyone enjoys everyone.
But from my knowledge as a theater professional of over 25 years, Hollywood is aware of him, and the actors take note.

I've never done film, but talent crosses over between the two with enough regularity that I have worked with names from hollywood from both in front of the camera as well as off screen talents.

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 07:47 AM
link   
I took the movie to be about his relationship with his daughter more than anything else.

I did say though to shut up and watch it!

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 08:26 AM
link   
a reply to: incoserv

I saw this movie not knowing what it was about beforehand. My sister saw it had good reviews.

IT WAS HORRIBLE!

Totally felt like a socially engineered film.

First I would like to acknowledge Brendan Frazier is a good actor and did a great job in his role. The whole thing takes place in one room , with the exception on his toes on a beach twice if I remember correctly.

Second: It wasn’t believable at all. Married man turns/discovers he’s gay, leaves wife and daughter for new lover (who is also his student). Student lover dies and his sister takes care of professor for her long lost brother- yeah right 🤣.

I literally fell asleep, and so did my sister. I felt dirty after watching it and robbed of my ticket money .

My recommendation would be to skip this trash film and see The Lost King (was a very good movie). Rare these days!

edit on 20-4-2023 by KTemplar because: Autocorrect correction

edit on 20-4-2023 by KTemplar because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 09:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
I took the movie to be about his relationship with his daughter more than anything else.

I did say though to shut up and watch it!

That's the point, DC. They ran the overt plot lines already (Brokeback Mountain and the recent one that was supposed to be the first 100% queer mainstream release, or some foolishness). The first was widely panned as I recall. The second was a bust, lost money because nobody cared. Neither generated sympathy forv the current thing.

Perhaps you didn't see the agenda, and maybe it had no effect on your attitude regarding the LGBTQPZ+ agenda, but you can be sure that it was designed primarily to gather up and consolidate support.

The fact that the main character was estranged not for the act of heterosexual adultery but for buggering a man tells that story. It's not about "discussing the subject," but in this current environment more about promoting it, inculcating it. If it were primarily about the relationship between two, heterosexual adultery would have sufficed and been more relevant to the general public. This was more subtle than other recent attempts, therefore more insidious. It quietly promotes an evil agenda.

Hell no, I ain't shuttin' up, and I will not watch it. I don't need to taste poison to know that it is deadly. I can learn by observation.

edit on 2023 4 20 by incoserv because: typo.

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 10:58 AM
link   
what streaming network is it on? a reply to: DBCowboy

posted on Apr, 20 2023 @ 10:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: HODOSKE
what streaming network is it on? a reply to: DBCowboy

We watched it on Xfinity had to rent it

posted on Jul, 5 2023 @ 04:25 PM
link   
This was a very distressing movie because the daughter in it is such a b***h to her father. I absolutely hate her.

That said, Brendan Fraser deserved the Best Actor Oscar. He did a marvelous job.

This is the quality of film Hollywood used to make routinely, but no longer does.

Definitely worth your time.

posted on Jul, 5 2023 @ 05:01 PM
link   
I saw it on Netflix DVD's, not sure about streams.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join